It's Downton Abbey Week!
That means allllll week you're going to be treated to a whole bunch of gushing and swooning and oohing and aahing and flailing fangirl fanatics from a certain community of bloggers, all orchestrated by the lovely and talented Naomi whom you may know, and if you don't, well then, I'm sorry about your life. (That was a nice way of saying get thee over to this blog.)
To start things off, she's got a lovely little tag which I am going to have fun answering, and I hope you likewise have fun reading it. ;-)
1. Who introduced you to Downton Abbey?
One spring day in 2013, my mother brought home the first season from the grocery store. We'd heard about it from various friends/acquaintances and were all mildly interested, and my mom has this tendency to buy DVD's with very little provocation, so that was how it started. I wasn't completely convinced it would be good, because at fourteen I thought anything so popular would have to be beneath me. (I had issues when I was fourteen.) But like with most things, I realized as soon as I started watching it that I was wrong. Because it was and is amazing and those early days of Downton, when my sisters and I were first being swept away in the current of obsession, will always be some of my fondest memories.
2. What Season did you (or: do you think you would) enjoy the most?
Well, Season One maybe. Season One has such a raw, original classic-ness to it that wears off a little in the following seasons. But Season Two gives me CHILLS. You've got the War, and the whole hospital-deal, and Branson Being Naughty, and MARY AND MATTHEW....yeah. Season Two.
3. Who wore the prettiest wedding dress?
I like Mary's best. It's so sleek and lovely and so her.
4. What plot twist/ scene came most unexpected to you? (Or do you pre-read all the spoilers?)
I NEVER READ SPOILERS. (I know you do, Naomi.) Really, I try to avoid spoilers at all costs, but Pinterest sometimes backfires and I end up knowing something before I wanted to. That was how it happened with Matthew...that time, I knew what was coming (but that didn't make it any easier). And I knew Mary would end up with Henry, and I knew there was going to be a fire, but mostly I don't know what's going to happen. The thing that surprised me the MOST was Sybil's end. That, Julian Fellowes, I will always hate you a little bit for.
5. If you could save one character from dying, who would you save?
MatthewSybil. (Don't ask me impossible questions.)
6. Who is your favourite Downton Abbey footman?
William is a SWEETHEART and I love him and all, but...I actually really care about Thomas! Which is so ironic because at the beginning I hated Thomas and thought he was awful and ewwwwwww, but now that he's been through so much and we've been through so much with him and I know him more, I really have a soft spot for Thomas. He's not foul. He's not like you, Mr. Carson, but he's not foul.
7. What typo annoys you more? "Downtown Abbey" or "Downton Abby"?
This drives me CRAZY. They're both awful, but probably Downtown Abbey, because I see more people do it (and hear people say it allllll the time and it's like, really guys, this show has been going on for six years and you still haven't got it right?!)
8. Which character do you think developed the best throughout the seasons?
Mary. Or Thomas. Or Edith. Oh yes, Edith. I like her EVER SO MUCH better now than I did, and I'm so relieved she's finally happy!
9. Favourite Downton couple? (Okay, pick two, because there's too much cuteness to narrow down to one.)
Mary & Matthew and Sybil & Branson.
10. Which of Granny Grantham's one-liners is your favourite?
Talk about impossible questions...here's one of my favorites: "Do we think she's mad, ill, or working for the Russians?"
11. How do you react when you meet another DA-lover?
I usually ask them what they thought of this or that, who's their favorite character, yadayadaya. It's always a lovely thing to meet a fellow fan and it should happen more often. :-)
12. Do you think the show should go on and on, or do you think it should have ended earlier?
Part of me wishes it had ended before so many people died, but part of me loves the later seasons too much. I guess I'm fairly content with the way things turned out.
13. Which room in Downton Abbey is your favourite?
I love the big library/parlor/study room with the fireplace and all the books on the walls.
14. If you could be part of the story, would you rather be a person downstairs or upstairs?
Downtstairs. I like working more than sitting around writing letters and having tea. When we first started watching the show I yearned to be a maid like Anna and I took all the pictures off my bedroom walls so it would be plain like hers.
15. Who would you rather spend an afternoon with, Mrs Patmore or Lady Grantham (Cora)?
What?! I don't know! They'd both be fun and I'd probably be in tears from laughing by the end. Let's say Mrs. Patmore. She could teach me how to make brownies properly. (ahem....)
16. Do you have any Downton Abbey inside jokes with someone?
I don't know, Naomi, you tell me.
17. Describe the show in one word.
Say it with me guys: DRAMA.
18. On a scale of 1-10, how much of a fan do you consider yourself?
An 8. There are times I REALLY REALLY get into it, like when I'm watching the newest season with my mom and sisters, but overall in day-to-day life I don't watch/talk/think about it that much.
19. Do you sometimes forget who is who?
Nope. I don't think so.
20. Finally, who is your favourite character (okay, pick three favourites, but no more than three - NO MORE), and why do you love them?
#1) Branson. He's Irish and he's a car mechanic. That alone would be enough, but he's so full of passion for his causes and even when he acts like an idiot, I still care about him. He's like my rascally child -- I want to slap him sometimes, but in the end I love him to pieces. I liked him waaaaay better when he was the scrappy revolutionary and I don't really like it how he calmed down so much and started hanging around the estate being everyone's motivational speaker, but still: I love him.
#2) Mrs. Hughes. Mrs. Hughes is the BEST. She's the one you can count on, the one you can tell all your problems to and she'll make them better, the one you can trust. She's a true-blue friend.
#3) Anna (Smith) Bates, because she's so humble and kind, and she was my favorite right from the very beginning.
Run along to Naomi's blog and see what else is cooking for this week!