Wednesday, July 6, 2016

Two good hands.

These are hands.:

I am fascinated by them. Hands.

I've read in books that the first thing you notice about a person are their hands, but in most cases that's not true. Unless you're Sherlock Holmes, I don't think we really pay much attention to people's hands. At least, I don't. I look at a person's face, see what they're wearing, maybe notice the way they carry themselves, but rarely do I think to look at their hands and see what kind of clues to their life may be revealed there...what kind of stories they tell...what kind of emotions they speak without using words.

 It's cliche, but you can tell a lot about a person by their hands.

Today I went to pick up some flats of strawberries at another farm. The man we bought them from was a kind, soft-spoken sort of fellow, with an easy smile and a friendly way. When I wrote out the check and he took it from me, I noticed his hands.

Tough, creased, but smoothed down with use. Capable. Hardworking. Steady. Reliable. Honest. Hands worn down from years of hard work, seasoned with life, softened with age. The hands of a farmer. I appreciated those hands.

     My daddy's hands are tough like that too, only they're more leathery and brown as an Indian's. My mama's hands have dirt under their fingernails from weeding the garden. My grandma's hands are a little shaky now, but they've got wisdom and experience from all the work they've done, all the dresses they've sewn, the pies they've baked, the small heads they've touched. My grandpa's hands have been splattered with paint time and time again. My ninety-something-year-old piano teacher's hands were once long and slender and could fly over the ivory keys like hummingbird's wings, though now they are wrinkled and bent, they still try. The little boy I danced with at my cousin's graduation party has smooth hands -- young hands, eager hands that are not sure yet but someday will try and find what they should do.

My own hands are unextraordinary. There's dirt under my fingernails too, a permanent dent in my right middle finger from holding a pen, and my fingers aren't long enough to reach an F chord on the guitar. (At least, I can't make them do it.) They're young hands too. They usually smell like my dog. Sometimes they're foolish hands, not knowing where they fit. They fumble and they fidget and they break things. They fix them and start over, and mess things up over and over. They try to put the pieces back together.

But my hands will learn. They are the tools God gave me to use in this life, the ones I want to use for His glory and my family's good. I want to work with them, create with them, build with them, love with them.

Someday I want to have beautiful hands -- honest, loving, unstoppable hands -- so that when people see them, they'll notice them, and they'll think, like I did when I noticed that farmer's hands, that they're something wonderful.


23 comments:

  1. I love examining hands!

    As a piano player, and student who's had (*counts*) seven piano teachers, I especially admire the graceful, long fingers that glide over piano keys.

    This post was really beautiful; good job. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is absolutely beautiful Emma!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was beautiful :) And it's funny, but hands are actually one of the first things I notice about a person!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You should submit this to a writing contest. It's a great piece! And I have that bump on my middle finger too, from writing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally agree. Hands are so fascinating, strongly and silently carrying such stories. The stories of a lifetime.

    GORGEOUSLY written, Emma dear! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful, Emma!!

    ~Rilla Blythe

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful. Hands do allow us to do so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know -- and like with most things, we take them for granted.

      Delete
  8. This is absolutely beautiful. <3

    ReplyDelete
  9. *sniffs hands* My hands smell like dogs too. It's all good. ;)

    Woah. This is B.E.A.U.T.I.F.U.L. Emma!! :D Such lovely writing! ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha. It's not a bad smell. :-) Thank you so much!

      Delete
  10. Hehe. This is such an inspired post, Emma! Trust you to write a few paragraphs on the topic of hands. ;)
    Not that I'm making fun of it - you wrote it brilliantly! And you also had me nodding at every sentence. (Okay, maybe not EVERY sentence, otherwise I'd look like an imbecile.) I've read something (or heard someone talk about) this before, and this reminded me of it again. It's really quite true, that you can tell enough about people just by their hand. After I heard that I tried to be smart and use that, but I ended up forgetting to soon after. (Oh so typical. There's just too much STUFF to remember when you're trying to be smart and read people. Eeesh. :P)

    I loved this. <3

    ~Miss Meg

    P.S. Hey, did I tell you I watched Tombstone the other night? (Half without meaning to. Half not.) Well, I did. I'll have to tell you about it in my next email. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WAIT YOU WATCHED TOMBSTONE. Whaaaaaaat. TELL.

      Delete
  11. I'm a bit obsessed with hands, too. I'm glad other people notice them. :D I loved the way you described them.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So. Beautiful.

    I have the "writer's bump," too, though mine's on my right hand :P

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is written so beautifully *faints*

    ReplyDelete

I'd love it if you'd drop me a line or two! I always enjoy receiving comments from readers and friends. I ask that you please keep your comments clean and God-honoring, and please don't write anything you wouldn't want your grandmother to read. Also, if you are commenting under anonymous, please do leave your name (or some sort of moniker so that you aren't totally nameless). Thank you so much and have a lovely day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...