Friday, July 29, 2016

The Man on the Buckskin Horse // book review

25685342   

    Of this collection I only read "The Man on the Buckskin Horse" by Rachel Kovaciny, because she'd asked me to be one of her advance readers, to which I happily answered "OF COURSE!" I've never been an advance reader before and it sounded pretty cool. I like this, this advance reader business. I feel pretty important.

     This story was so fun! I had no idea how the Sleeping Beauty premise would work with the western setting, but Rachel fit things together very well. The flow of the story was nice. I'm still getting used to the fast pace of novellas, having only read a few before, but I was pleased that this wasn't too rushed, and nothing seemed awkward. As for the characters -- well, these folks would fit in nearly any good old western movie. Miss Emma Thornberry was an amusing narrator. Rosalind was sweet, Mrs. Mortimer was ATROCIOUS (seriously, who authorizes her to act like she owns the territory?), Victor Owens was good and steady, and Mr. Palmer was quite intriguing. For such a short piece, the character development was great, especially with Mr. Palmer. (I love the fact that he was a surgeon in the Civil War. Bring the Civil War into anything, and I like it even more.)

     The whole feel of the story is a lot like most every historical/western Christian fiction book I've read, which I personally get tired of when I read too much of it, but I don't happen to be tired of it at the moment and I enjoyed this very much. :-) Thanks Rachel, for letting me read it!

8 comments:

  1. This sounds cool--I can't wait to order my copy and read it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait for that either, Jessica! :-)

      Delete
  2. I think if I had more time, like I did before my kids were born, I would get quickly addicted to the idea of being an ARC reader.

    I'm so glad you liked it! Thanks for reading and reviewing it :-D

    And yeah, what makes Mrs. Mortimer think that just cuz she's rich, she can go around having people shot? Sheesh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I liked it too! You're so welcome, I'm happy you asked me. :-)

      Delete
  3. definitely going to have to read this!

    -des
    major-undecided.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Destiny! I hope you like it :-)

      Delete
  4. I really can't wait to read this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Natalie! I'm looking forward to hearing what you think :-)

      Delete

I'd love it if you'd drop me a line or two! I always enjoy receiving comments from readers and friends. I ask that you please keep your comments clean and God-honoring, and please don't write anything you wouldn't want your grandmother to read. Also, if you are commenting under anonymous, please do leave your name (or some sort of moniker so that you aren't totally nameless). Thank you so much and have a lovely day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...