Monday, March 14, 2016

Flirtation Walk // book review


25813601


// by Siri Mitchell //

     Lucinda Pennyworth, the daughter of a con man, is trying her best to leave her father's sordid past behind her. When he dies unexpectedly, she takes the opportunity to move to West Point to live with her aunt, ready to take on a new life and determined to marry a respectable man, a West Point cadet, to impress her relatives.

     Seth Westcott, a cadet at the academy, is proud to be at the top of his senior class. But when his mother dies and his sister loses their inheritance to a swindler, Seth wants nothing more than to head west to track down the con man. But the army will only send the cadets at the bottom of the class to the frontier...which leaves Seth with some tough choices.

              ***************************

     I am SO glad I got this book for review!

    I have a love/hate relationship with Christian fiction. (Meaning it's very dear to me, and I love it, but sometimes I get so fed up with the genre as a whole that I feel like taking all my CF books and tossing them in the dumpster, then feeding the CBD catalog through the paper shredder.) Well, true to pattern, I got really fed up with it a while back, and took a loooooooong hiatus from reading anything of the kind.

     Then this book came along, and made me remember just how much I really love this kind of literature. ;-)

     Flirtation Walk was just what I needed, right when I needed it. Sweet, engaging, not too deep but not too mediocre either, it swept me away in a refreshing historical adventure of love and deceit and fun that made me smile pretty much the whole time I was reading it. I really enjoyed this book (even more so for the fact that I'd sworn off Christian fiction a few months before).

     One of the main reasons I liked this book so much is because it's set at West Point military academy, and...that automatically makes me think of George and Orry in North and South. (Which automatically makes my face crinkle up into the most violent of smiles and squeezes my heart so much I can hardly handle the level of feelings. Yes, I am aware that sentence made no sense whatsoever. This is my point. ) Lucinda, the female heroine, was alright. But I loved Seth. (Random fact: heretofore in time, I have never liked the name Seth, but now just because of this character I've started to like it.) He and his friends, the "Immortals", and the schemes they cooked up were my favorite parts of the book. Ahh, it really makes me want to live in 1854 and be a cadet at West Point! They just had so much fun. (Yes, I know, it was not all fun, but I can dream it was. Hush up.) I also liked Phoebe -- she was a darling doll of a girl, without being so saintly-good that she made me cringe. I loved her one line, when her sister Milly is getting after her for something: "I'm blind!" ;-)

     Not a whole lot of spiritual meat in this book, but that's okay. It's not one of those deep-impact stories that's supposed to rock your world and make you come to new revolutionary conclusions about serious issues. (Though it does tell of God's forgiveness and second chances.) Mostly it's just a rollicking good fun story, and it does very well at that. I've read three of Siri Mitchell's books now, and all of them have been delightful!

     Besides making me happy as a clam, this book also aided the ushering in of my chronic Civil-War-Obsession-Mood in full-swing. Not that I needed any help with that....

    My rating: 9/10

I received this book for free from the publisher in exchange for my honest review.

22 comments:

  1. Emma, I don't know if I've ever mentioned this to you before--but given that you love Civil War stories and Western stories so much, you REEEAAAALLLY need to read "A Distant Trumpet," by Paul Horgan. I'm going to try and review it on Goodreads pretty soon--but I think you'd really, really love it. It's basically the definition of epic-ness, IMHO. (And it's the book I happen to have borrowed my blogging pseudonym from, so yeah ;-) )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooooh! I think I have heard you mention it before -- sounds familiar. I'm very intrigued. ;-)

      Delete
  2. Yay, thanks for the review! I've been wondering what people think of this one and I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed it so much. My relationship with Christian fiction is almost the same as yours, especially in the historic romance department. The last several books I've read for publishers have been sad disappointments although I don't know if that's more me being burned out on the genre or the quality of the work. I suspect it's a bit of both. All I know is I felt fairly guilty writing negative reviews.

    But I love Siri Mitchell and ADORED Like a Flower in Bloom. I don't read much in the way of civil war fiction, but I think I'll track this one down once it hits bookstores. Thanks for the delightful review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carissa, glad to oblige! ;-) Same with me -- the last few books I read for Bethany House were duds (in fact, I didn't even publish reviews for them, so I'm really surprised I haven't been taken off their list. :o)

      I hope you get to read this book, and I hope you like it as much as I did!

      Delete
  3. Just so you know, there was an audible gasp when I saw your header picture. It's BEAUTIFUL!
    Anyway.
    This sounds like a really good book! I wouldn't normally pick up a book titled "Flirtation Walk", but the setting seems really interesting. Hmm, it would have to take a pretty amazing character to make me like the name Seth, but I suppose miracles can happen! :) Haha, I definitely suffer from a chronic Civil War obsession as well! I think I cycle between Civil War, Revolution and Vintage phases. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heehee. I'm glad you like it. I personally think it's divinely beautiful. ;-P

      It is! Flirtation Walk is actually what they call a pathway near the grounds of West Point, because it's where cadets and sweethearts walk.

      Delete
  4. Golly but I love your new header :) So spring-y!! Great review as well . . .

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad you enjoyed my book! It was so fun to write; I'm glad it was a fun read. Thanks for taking the time to write and post a review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad too! Thanks so much for your comment -- it really made my day. :-) I look forward to reading your next book!

      Delete
  6. GASP GIRL. Your header is beauteousness!!!!! (AND SIRI MITCHELL COMMENTED?!!!!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heehee. You can scold me if you want, for changing it after three weeks. I'd expected you would. I have no explanation for my behavior. ;-P

      (I KNOW I KNOW I KNOW!!!! ISN'T THAT COOL?!?!)

      Delete
  7. Very nice review, Emma! I've never heard of this book before, but it sounds quite interesting.

    Ahhhh! And YOUR HEADER! I LOVE IT! Just, wow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Miss March. I did find it quite interesting! And I'm glad you like my header -- I know it was just a few weeks since I'd done the last one, but I was feeling such a need to make things fresh. ;-)

      Delete
  8. Your new design is absolutely beautiful! <3 <3
    By the way, have you joined Camp Nano? It's fun, and helps keep track of writing.
    -Mic

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Michaila!

      Actually no, I haven't -- in fact I'm not even sure what 'Camp' Nano is. I know what NaNoWriMo is, but throw the 'camp' in front of it and you've lost me. I might like to look into it sometime, though -- keeping track of writing? That sounds good!

      Delete
  9. Thanks for the review! By the way, I LOVE your new header!:)

    ~Rilla Blythe

    ReplyDelete
  10. (FINALLY getting around to commenting...)

    This looks quite good... honestly, as someone else already said, I wouldn't normally pick up a book that's called "Flirtation Walk"! (My Mum probably would be immediately prejudiced against it if I told her the title, haha.) ;) A library in connection with the one we normally use has it, so I have access to it, if I place a hold... maybe once I've plowed through a few more in my to-read list I can get to it. :)

    (That's really cool that the author commented. :D)

    Oh, and your HEADER!! :O When I opened your blog for the day, I was really taken aback - it's ssooo gorgeous! I LOVE the circle, and the picture! It looks so clean and fresh and sparkling. :) There's only one tiiiny detail I JUST noticed - your title isn't in the exact middle. :P Maybe you were being artsy... sorry, I'm always one of those freaks who has to have everything STRAIGHT. ;) But no, in all seriousness, it's SCRUMPTIOUS.

    ~Miss Meg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You guys are all prejudice against the title. ;-P No, it really is good -- at least, I enjoyed it immensely. Just the kind of Christian historical fiction I like to read. (I KNOW, it's so cool that the author commented!!!! I freaked out.)

      I'm glad you like it. :-) Actually, I intentionally didn't put the title in the middle; I guess you could say I was trying to be artsy. I liked it this way. I hope it doesn't bother you too much!

      Delete
  11. I haven't read this, but I think I'll put in on my TBR list. :)

    Isn't it so fun when wonderful character make you like names you never liked before? That's happened to me many many times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES! It's happened to me numerous times. I didn't use to like the name Gabe, but then I read Hidden Places and that changed completely.

      Delete

I'd love it if you'd drop me a line or two! I always enjoy receiving comments from readers and friends. I ask that you please keep your comments clean and God-honoring, and please don't write anything you wouldn't want your grandmother to read. Also, if you are commenting under anonymous, please do leave your name (or some sort of moniker so that you aren't totally nameless). Thank you so much and have a lovely day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...