Thursday, February 18, 2016

Brooklyn // 2015


     Honestly, I don't often get excited about new movies. Mostly because the movie they make nowadays aren't usually my style, but also because I'm not that person who researches new movies that are coming out and gets psyched out for them. (I rather live under a rock, you see.) BUT I was fairly excited for this one. Partly because it's a period drama about IRISH PEOPLE, and partly because my best friend is that person who researches new movies and gets psyched out for them, and she has a way of rubbing off on me. ;-) So I was extremely glad to learn they were showing Brooklyn at the theater in my town!

     I went to see it, with my two sisters and cousin. And it was gorgeous.


     And emotional, and heart-tugging, and memorable, and absolutely beautiful.

     I guess you could say Brooklyn affected me in some special way, if you were to judge by how much it made me cry. The answer to that is lots. It's not such a sad story, as much as it's a real story. I could imagine myself in Eilis's place, and I think that's what made it so emotional for me. I started crying right at the beginning when Eilis left on the ship for America, and hadn't stopped for long before I'd start right up again. This movie got me, folks. (Right in the feels, as they say. ;-P) It's about a girl who leaves her old home to find a new one, and then is torn as to which country, which people, her home really lies with.

     Plus they're all Irish, which automatically makes EVERYTHING MORE EMOTIONAL.


     Eilis Lacey (pronounced Ae-lish -- you're welcome) is a young woman living with her mother and older sister in a small Irish village. She has a job at a shop in town, but her boss is nastier than nasty, and her sister Rose finds her a place in America through a priest she knows there. So Eilis is off for America -- Brooklyn, to be exact.


     Eilis leaves. (And Emma starts crying.) And our story, along with its heroine, has taken wing.

     Saoirse Ronan plays Eilis, and she's extraordinary. Not only is she absolutely gorgeous in a sort of robust, unique way, but she's got a presence about her, a way of delivery, that makes her fascinating to watch. It's Eilis's story, about how her life changes and how she grows throughout, and Saoirse Ronan carries it very well. She makes you feel for the character -- well, at least I did. ;-P

     Her face is so amazing -- somehow she has a way of expressing untold feelings through no more than a steady gaze. Just look:
   
   



     Eilis sort of cries a lot. Usually when female heroines cry a lot, it bugs me, and makes me like them less because they can't keep it together. But it wasn't like that with Eilis, because I understood why she was crying. She had a right to. (And every time she cried, it made me want to cry too.) First of all, here she is going off by herself to an unfamiliar country where she doesn't know a soul (besides Jim Broadbent, that is) and doesn't know what the future will hold for her. It's scary. Then a tragedy strikes her family back home, and she has to make a very hard decision -- whether to stay in Ireland, with her mother, and take the chance to keep her old life -- or go back to America, where a whole other part of her heart lies. It really is painful. I'm talking about leaving your roots for something totally different -- but something that is, ultimately, your destiny.


   
          Yes, this is one of those Irish period dramas that will rip your heart out. ;-) (Boy, those Irish. They know how to really get you, don't they?)

     In Brooklyn, Eilis starts working in a swanky department store. She stays in a boarding house run by a cantankerous but kind lady (Julie Walters) and inhabited by several other girls who are constantly giggling and teasing at the dinner table. ("A giddy girl is just as bad as a slothful man, and the noise she makes is a great deal worse!") She's TERRIBLY homesick at first, but slowly she gets used to her new life. And then she goes to an Irish dance and meets an Italian dude. The Italian dude's name is Tony.



     (Well, come on, you KNEW she was going to fall in love.)

     It doesn't take long for Eilis to fall for Tony. Admittedly, Tony is pretty great. Actually he's a lot greater than I thought he would be. When he first appeared, leaning up against the wall at the dance, my impression was a mixture of "OOOOH HE'S CUTE" and "waaaaaait....is he going to be trouble?" Because I only wanted the best for Eilis. He proved me wrong, though. I really like Tony (despite the fact that he kind of always sounds like he's drunk -- he's really not, that's just his voice.) The way he wooed and won Eilis was adorable.

Or maybe I just really like his shirt? :o
      Oh, and I LOVED it when he took her to meet his family. The little brother totally stole the scene. "First of all, I should mention we don't like Irish people." 


     Eilis's giddy friends had to teach her about eating spaghetti before she went over to Tony's house. (We don't really need to mention this, I just wanted to used this gif.)


     *SPOILERS AHEAD*



     So Eilis has Tony, and her job, and she's finally finding her place in Brooklyn. But then she gets the really really sad news that her sister -- her beautiful, kind, selfless sister Rose-- is dead. So she does the only thing a devoted daughter would do, and she goes back to Ireland to comfort her mother.

     Oh, but before she leaves, Tony wants her to marry him.

Emory Cohen and Saoirse Ronan in Brooklyn (2015).:

 So she does. But the night before that, they go to her room after hours, and...that's why the move is rated PG-13, for that scene right there. Since I don't believe in sex before marriage, I wasn't thrilled. (Plus I never want to actually watch anyone doing the deed on a movie screen, because that's just weird.) But even though I didn't appreciate it, it didn't make me hate the characters. It changed the way I felt about them, yes. Only a little bit. I still love Eilis and I still know Tony will treat her well. 

     I loved it! Go see Brooklyn #BrooklynMovie ad ]http://merlotmommy.com/brooklyn-movie-review/:

     Back in Ireland, Eilis is sort of sucked back into her old life. Her mother wants her to stay, her best friend wants to fix her up with this guy, and once the guy gets to know her, he wants her to stay too. The thing is, Eilis doesn't tell anyone she's married. She never told her mother about Tony, and now she's afraid to. Tony is miles and miles and an ocean away, and the longer she stays, the easier it is for her to imagine staying -- for good, in Ireland.


     The 'guy' her best friend wants to fix her up with is Jim Farrell (which, hey, is actually the name of the Irish guy in the Titanic musical) played by Domnhall Gleeson, who is apparently rising in fame because his name is sounding familiar to me. Jim Farrell is actually really nice. Eilis begins to imagine what her life would be like with him, and Tony feels more and more distant...

     Now, there are some people *cough cough* who apparently did not understand why Eilis didn't open Tony's letters, or why she would even CONSIDER choosing Jim Farrell and Ireland over Tony the Italian Plumber and America. (These are the same people who came up with the notion that Tony has similar characteristics to Johnny Depp. ???) But I did. My sister Sadie and I talked about this. :-) Ireland was Eilis's home for so much of her life; and sweet, attentive Jim Farrell represented home. If she'd never left, she could marry him and be happy. But the fact remained, she had left. She was torn between two places and two lives, and couldn't help but wonder if she was doing the right thing. In many ways, I think she probably wished things could be the way they were. But they couldn't. Things could never be the same.

     Eilis's last parting with her mother just about killed me. Because you could see it was killing her to have to say goodbye to her Mammy, to have to tear herself once again from her the country where her roots were. If I were Eilis, I think I would have done the same thing, but it would have been very, very hard.


     OHHHHHHH AND THEN SHE GOES BACK.

     They did a Great Thing with Eilis's voyage back home. When she first sailed to America herself, she was naive about the world, inexperienced, and had no idea what to do or what to expect. There was another girl who gave her advice about what to do and what not to do, how to present herself when she got to Brooklyn. Well, on Eilis's next voyage, she's that girl. She meets a young Irish girl on the ship who is in much the same place Eilis herself was in before, and now she's the one giving advice and being the guardian angel. And it's sooooooo meaningful, because now you see that Eilis really has grown up, and she knows where her heart is. I love that they did that.

 "You have to think like an American. You'll feel so homesick that you'll want to die, and there's nothing you can do about it apart from endure it. But you will, and it won't kill you. And one day, the sun will come out you might not even notice straight away -- it'll be that faint. And then you'll catch yourself thinking about something or someone who has no connection with the past. Someone who's only yours. And you'll realize that this is where your life is."

     THAT LINE. THAT LINE RIGHT THERE. RIGHT IN THE FEELS, I TELL YOU.

     

     How did I feel when it was over? Completely speechless. Overcome. Happy. I sat staring at the movie screen as the credits rolled by, tiny tears rolling down my cheeks, feeling that feeling I get whenever I've really experienced a movie -- one that meant something to me, one that'll stay with me for a long time. Then, as the crowd left their seats and shuffled out, I stood up, put on my coat, and went home.

     Because home is home.





42 comments:

  1. Beautiful review Emma! I wanted to read the book before the film but this looks too good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Evie! Now I want to read the book too.

      Delete
  2. I wish I could watch this movie - it looks amazing, but because of the PG-13 rating, I can't. It sounds like an amazing movie, though. Maybe when I'm a little older. :)

    ~Lydia~ <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lydia, I hope you can watch it sometime, because it really is beautiful! (It is easy to skip that one scene, and that's about it, but if you don't want to watch it until you're older, I totally understand.) :-)

      Delete
  3. Oh yes!! Those Irish really know how to get to you!!! I know alll about that!!! I seen stuff about this movie and I really want to see it, but because of *that* scene, I don't know when I will.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't they?! For some reason Irish movies are always unreasonably sad. ;-P

      Oh, I don't want to discourage you from watching it because of that one scene. Really, you can skip it easily if you know when it's coming (and it's pretty obvious). I do recommend the movie despite that.

      Delete
  4. What a beautiful review, Emma! I really want to see this, even more than I did when I saw the trailer! Too bad movies like this don't always make it to a lot of theaters. Hopefully I can get it from the library some day. Immigrant stories are always so moving to me, and this seems especially emotional when Eilis goes back to Ireland, and...oi vey!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Abby! I hope you get to see it soon. :-) Me too -- immigrant stories are always a mix of tragic and hopeful. (Especially when they're Irish. ;-P)

      Delete
  5. AHHHHHHHHHHH. WELL I WANT TO SEE THIS SOOO BADLY NOW. EVEN BADLIER THAN I DID EARLIER ON BEFORE I READ THIS EXCELLENTLY GOOD REVIEW. (Gah, I'm soo hoping it'll show in the cinema here. I must see this.)

    Hahaha. Yes, I AM that kind of person who looks up new movies and tells her best friend about it. But then my best friend is the kind of person who SEES it.

    THE PICTURES. Ahhhh. Every picture makes me want to see it even more. The costumes are just to DIE for (her wedding suit!!!!) and HER EYES are so beautiful.

    I read every single of word of this. (Why yes yes also the spoilers.) I had no idea she actually MARRIED Tony before she went back! That's... that's wow. AND THAT'S SO ANNOYING ABOUT THE BEDROOM SCENE. Especially because they get married the very NEXT day... like, couldn't they have WAITED ONE MORE DAY?!!! Anyway. That's not going to stop me from watching the movie.

    OHHH. THAT SOUNDS SOOOO EMOTIONAL. WHEN SHE GIVES SOMEONE ADVICE ON THE BOAT.

    Wow, this movie is going to make me a SERIOUS SERIOUS wreck. I can't wait to see it and die a little bit inside.

    GREAT REVIEW LUV.

    ~ Naomi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apparently Naomi's keyboard is somehow stuck on the caps lock?

      ISN'T IT ALL SO GORGEOUS??? The whole movie is just a feast for the eyes. Yes, I love her wedding suit. (And her pink dress, and the yellow one, and the blue one, and everything in between...)

      You read the spoilers. How am I not surprised. ;-P Yeah, that's how I felt too -- if you'd just waited one day. But I still love the movie. And I'm glad it's not going to dissuade you from watching it.

      I'M so hoping it'll show in the cinema there too, because you've GOT to see this. It'll make you a serious wreck. But then we can we wrecks together. :-)

      THANKS, LUV.

      Delete
    2. Caps lock? What are you talking about?

      Oh no, it won't dissuade me. (It won't even dissuade me from watching at the cinema. I can my avert my eyes and make use of my brilliant imagination and pretend it never happened.) (It's still really annoying though. DUH.)

      We're saying 'LUV' because of the Irish. I suddenly realised that I'd written 'luv' without even thinking of that. :-P

      ~ Naomi

      Delete
  6. HEY I KNOW THIS MOVIE! Well, okay, not really...I saw the preview once or twice at the cinemas several months ago, and thought it looked interesting. Does that count? :P (I didn't think so.) But it DID look good, and my instincts were right! ;)
    It's kinda late and I actually don't have a great lot to say (for once! Although I'm sure I'll find plenty to say anyway) so I'll just comment on whatever POPS out. I loved your post though - as usuuual.
    I like Irish people too! I love their accents. And their hair. ;D
    Haha, her steady gaze! I like to imagine I have a steady gaze that expresses things like that as well....*tries it out* *looks ridiculously stupid* Well, I did say IMAGINE... ;)
    Yeah, I remember seeing the trailer and thinking, "What a PAINFUL decision!" It must have been so awfully hard! :/
    I think I officially like the Italian dude (Toby). :D I've met or seen quite a few young 'Italian dudes' and I always think they're very attractive. :P
    AAHHH THAT DINNER TABLE GIF!!! The girl on the right - she's Felicity!! :D (Sorry that's just the fangirl in me breaking out -she plays in the TV series Arrow that we're watching. She may very well be my favourite character. She's SO hilarious and awkwardly adorable. :D) And that scene looks HILARIOUS. Just sayin'.
    Oh dear, I'm rather annoyed that there's an unsuitable scene. >:/ (Why do they have to go and slightly spoil good movies with one unnecessary scene?! Argh!) Well, at least if I see it, I'll know where it is....(by the way, the movie is called Brooklyn. I suddenly have the song 'Brooklyn's Here' in my head. And that may just be half the reason - the other half is that I listened to that CD twice today. And that's just today.)
    Ahh...it looks like a very feelsy kind of movie. ;) I'll have to keep my eye open for that one now. :D
    ~Miss Meg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that counts! I actually never saw the preview before I went and watched it -- but I'd read about it in the newspaper and seen pictures on pinterest and stuff. (Oh, and Naomi told me snippets.)

      Haha. Don't feel bad, my 'steady gaze' isn't too great either. My face is such that the only looks I can imitate are Anne Hathaway's as Fantine in Les Miz (we have kind of the same facial features.)

      Ohhh! I thought those two girls looked familiar, but I never figured out who they were. Obviously I haven't seen her as Felicity, because I've never watched Arrow, but it seems like I have seen her somewhere...I can't think.

      YEAH. (Argh.) I didn't like that. But, what are you going to do. I still recommend the movie, because there's SO MUCH good in it.

      Believe me, that song comes to mind pretty much every time I hear the word 'Brooklyn.' Also, fun fact, Tony really sounds like he could be a newsie. He's got the Italian/Brooklyn accent. ;-P

      YES IT IS. You should watch it. :-)

      Delete
  7. This looks like a delightful movie! Thank you for taking the time to write and tell us about it! I would love to see it sometime :)
    Rebekah
    www.moreradiance.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rebekah, you're welcome. Thanks for your comment! :-)

      Delete
  8. Hmmm... I just looked back over and saw what you said about the one scene... I prefer not to watch any movies with that kind of content!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, this sounds SO good!! Excellent, EXCELLENT review, Emma!! I really enjoyed reading it!! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. MISS MARCH IT IS. Good, I'm glad you enjoyed reading it!!! :-D

      Delete
  10. Skimmed this one because I haven't seen it yet and I HATE SPOILERS, but YAYYYYY I'm so glad you enjoyed it! My bff and I were gonna go see it, but when we wanted to, it was only at a theater like an hour away from us. I'm patiently waiting (not) for it to come out.

    And may I just say... DOMHNALL GLEESON ERMAGURSH. Current Hollywood guy crush. Not gonna lie. He's just SO ADORABLE.

    -Ashley-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ashley, I hope you still get to see it in the theater! It really was beautiful -- I mean, I'm sure it would still be beautiful if you watched in in your living room, but the theater experience was somethin' really special. :-)

      Haha, I seem to remember hearing you mention him once or twice. Jim Farrell was very sweet, though I didn't think he was particularly handsome. (Not that that matters.) ;-P

      Delete
  11. Brooklyn! When I first heard about this movie, I was very happy, because, you know, it's IRISH :) But then I heard about that one scene and I was VERY ANGRY . . . very angry indeed. I'm practically zero tolerance when it comes to that sort of thing. So it sort of spoiled the fun and awesomeness for me.
    OH and Tony does NOT sound DRUNK!!! That's his ACCENT :) Italian, y'know. Just sayin'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd say, with a movie this good, it's still worth watching it. Though yes, that definitely is a bother.

      Okay, okay. ;-) Actually, Tony sounded a lot like a newsie -- I kept waiting for him to say, "Pulitzer and Hearst, they think they got us! Do they got us?"

      Delete
    2. Yes. A newsie is much better than a drunk. Thank you :) But that makes sense, because Jack Kelly was supposed to be something of an Italian New Yorker.

      I like your new header by the way!!

      Delete
  12. This looks so GOOOOOOOOOOD. Gahh.

    And this review was super good, too, btw ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know a good movie when you see one, Olivia. :-) And thanks! I'm glad you liked it.

      Delete
  13. *Naomi opens A Lantern In Her Hand *

    HAHAHAHAHA.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alright, go ahead. LAUGH ALL YOU WANT. I wanted to, so I did. *sniffs arrogantly*

      Delete
  14. (It's really pretty. #topnotchheaderskills.)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello:D. That movie sounds adorable...1950's AND Ireland!!! Anyways, if you would like to, I have nominated you for thee contagious Liebster Award over at my blog, Mic's Room.
    http://lovelypinkduckshome.blogspot.com/2016/02/2nd-liebster-award.html
    Thanks a Bunch,
    -Mic

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is adorable! :-) Oh, thanks for nominating me -- I'll hop on over and have a look.

      Delete
  16. I haven't seen this movie. (though I'm sure it's great.)
    Eilis looks like one of my sister's friends. Hmm.
    -The Girl with the Gold Pen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmmm....maybe she secretly IS your sister's friend!

      Delete
  17. Just had to pop in and say that I like your new header, Emma. It's beautiful. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hahah... She HAS acted in a few movies! (homemade ones, unfortunately. ;) ) But I doubt it. She's kinda busy going to college and planning her wedding. ;) :)
    -The Girl with the Gold Pen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ^Woops. I meant to reply to your answer to my comment, but I must have clicked the wrong the wrong 'reply.' Heh. Sorry about the confusion!
      -The Girl with the Gold Pen

      Delete
  19. I didn't read this review in full because I have yet to see this one and am planning a review too, but it sounds as if you liked it, and I'm glad! It looks amazing, and is definitely one I've been anxious to see. Here's hoping it's as good as I suspect it is. Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rissi, it is amazing! I hope you love it too. :-)

      Delete
  20. Yay! A review by one of my bloggy friends!
    So Tony looks cool and so does whoever Gleeson plays. (I skipped the spoilers)
    And the pictures and GIFs were fantastic!
    Lovely review! I did skip the end cuz I want to see this now!! Thanks for the recommendation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you for not reading the spoilers -- I admire that. (I always read the spoilers. ;-P)

      Thanks! I hope you get to see it.

      Delete

I'd love it if you'd drop me a line or two! I always enjoy receiving comments from readers and friends. I ask that you please keep your comments clean and God-honoring, and please don't write anything you wouldn't want your grandmother to read. Also, if you are commenting under anonymous, please do leave your name (or some sort of moniker so that you aren't totally nameless). Thank you so much and have a lovely day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...