Tuesday, January 19, 2016

In which the author expresses her violent love for a Certain Miniseries...

 
     Guys, I'm completely obsessed with North and South.

Orry and George's graduation ceremony from the Military Academy at West Point, 1846.:

     When I think about how this miniseries has splashed into my life and my feelings for it have changed, I have to laugh. Have I mentioned how I usually have to hate something before I can love it? Well, case in point. N&S is the poster example for that principle. At first, it was just an old miniseries from the 80's about the Civil War. It had very little chance of being as good as my beloved The Blue and the Gray, which in my mind nothing could top. I started watching it one snowy February night with my family, and at first I was unimpressed. Then I was disgusted with how many undressing-scenes kept popping up. The characters annoyed me, I got sick of their drama, and after a few episodes I decided to give it up. 

     However, the rest of my family didn't. ;-P (Turns out they were the smart ones.) I was down in the basement one night, typing away on some writing project or another, when my sister called me upstairs because "John Brown was there and he's Johnny Cash!" Of course, I had to see this, so I dashed up the stairs. And then I stayed...and I somehow got sucked back into the story...and I've never been the same since.

     ....Alright, that may be a slight overstatement. But I'm making a point. The point is, I LOVE NORTH AND SOUTH.

      It's one of the best American miniseries ever made. (Heck, it even made me love Patrick Swayze.) It's the story that completely wrecked my life for about two months...

     ...and it's doing it again. 

     See, there has been a catastrophic occurrence in the Anderson household. Somehow North and South -- the whole miniseries, collector's edition (aaaaaahhhhhhhh)-- showed up underneath the Christmas tree. And it was someone's crazy idea to watch it again. And now...my heart cannot take all this.

Be still, my heart.:

*insert uncontrollable fangirly noises*

          I can't believe how much I hated this miniseries before, and how much I desperately love it now. What happened?! I guess it just proves what a love/hate tendency I have. If something makes me feel enough to actually hate it, chances are those feelings are going to turn around sooner or later and speed full-force in the other direction.

Oh, oh, OH. I can't take this.:

      Well, yes....it's got some issues. There's a heap of melodrama. And yes, it's a bit of a soap opera. But it's so much more than that. It's chock-full of history and action and romance and tension and DEPTH. Watching it for the second time around, basically all I can do is sit there and stare bug-eyed and go "WOW." (And squeal over how adorable Charles is, and laugh at Bent's ridiculous accent, and sigh with maternal pride when George meets Constance, and bawl with emotion over Orry and George's friendship. Oh, and shriek whenever Orry's face appears.)

     I happen to be a Patrick Swayze fan, yes. Is there a problem?
   

 

     Really, through all the drama and romance and fluff, it's Orry and George's friendship that makes me see through the bad and appreciate all the good there is in this show. It's what I most love about N&S. I love these two SO much. I love their loyalty to each other, and while they plow through miles of differences between their families, their lifestyles, their beliefs. George represents the North, and Orry represents the South. They are separate, but equal. They are the kind of true friends who stick by each other, even when they don't agree, even when it's difficult -- even when they must risk their lives for each other. And THAT'S why Orry and George are the best ever.


North and South:

      Anyway. The purpose of this post (oh, so it has one?) is not to go deep; not yet. I could describe to you how Constance Flynn Hazard is my role model, or how Bent is so ridiculously evil it's hysterical, or how Charles Main is about as cool as you can get (especially in his brown suede coat)....but I wanted to ask y'all first, before I bombard you with all my violent emotions. (Yes, this is one of those rare instances where I actually ask my readers' opinion. You're surprised? Nonsense.) 

     Here's the deal: before I launch into a very long and very detailed and very passionate review of the North and South series, I thought I should ask you all first. Would you be interested in that? The reason I ask is because I know this series isn't very widely-watched anymore, and I *personally* am not over-the-moon interested in reading about shows I have never watched. SO. What do you say, people? Are you in for it? 

     Be warned, I may go ahead and write my long six-part review anyway. But I do want your opinion. :-)
   
Orry and Madeline:

     In the meantime, I will be all right as long as Orry and Madeline get married.

    *goes off whistling Dixie*


28 comments:

  1. I would read it, for one... I might like to watch it, too. Perhaps your review will help me decide. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Miss Dashwood! Perhaps it will. -D

      Delete
    2. You forgot the eyes. Of your smiley face.

      Delete
    3. What would I do without you, Naomi?

      Delete
  2. Well, I admit to never having seen it, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't read posts on it. Who knows, it might actually inspire me to give the series a try. I haven't watched much Civil War related films so this would be a change! ❤

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool. Thanks, Carissa. (If you're interested in good Civil War films, I'm the person to ask.)

      Delete
  3. Well, North and South doesn't REALLY sound like my 'kind of thing', but I'd read anything you write, Emma. :) And if you do write lots about it, you may convince me to give it a whirl. ;)
    ~Miss Meg

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, I must admit, I thought this WAS the review, but now I see it was just a teaser! :) I've never seen this mini-series, and I did hear that it was like a soap opera, but your description definitely made it sound interesting. So fire away, Emma! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha. Nope. I haven't even got started yet. ;-P It is somewhat of a soap opera -- I call it that (affectionately, of course ;-)).

      Delete
  5. I wasn't surprised to see THIS on my dashboard. :-P HAHAHA.

    So whose idea was it to see it again? Because I'm guessing it was yours, but maybe not. :-D

    Well, a SIX part review - nope. Six posts on a miniseries I've never seen would bore me. I'm FRANK. :-P
    But I'd really love a review of it, OF COURSE. Just not smashed up into six posts, please. :-D (But then, you may ignore me.) I'd definitely read it - and I'll look at the cute dresses and say 'aww' when an Old Jimmy Stewart picture pops up because HE'S ADORABLE.

    ~ Naomi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ummmm....it was a collaboration of my, Sadie's and Molly's ideas to watch it again. We were going to wait a few months, but we couldn't help ourselves. ;-)

      The thing is, if I review it at ALL it's gonna be long. I can't condense. So you may just have to deal with it. ;-P Haha. Jimmy Stewart's not a very big character at all -- there's a whole bunch of 'guest stars' who have, like, five-minute spotlights and he's one of them. But yes, he is adorable.

      Delete
  6. Oh Emma! I love your new blog look!! It's so simple and gorgeous!

    Ahem, back to matters at hand. I would love a more in-depth review! I haven't seen North and South, but I'm definitely interested in it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mary! And thanks for your feedback. :-)

      Delete
  7. Well, I would read it :) I read everything about movies/serieses/books that I can get my hands on! And it sounds intriguing! So I will be looking forward to it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've watched it, I liked it, I would love to read your deep post(s) on it :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great! Thanks! :-D

      (Although I must say, I don't really understand how you can simply *like* it. To me, it's a love or hate deal. But that's cool. ;-))

      Delete
    2. Hee. Um, I liked it well enough to want to see it again sometime, but not enough to buy my own copy, does that make sense? :-D

      Delete
  9. Do review it, please! I'm like Rosie--I ALWAYS love reading about movies/books/etc, whether I actually know the story or not. It's fun either way! :-)

    Love your new header, by the way!! The kitty is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, and BTW, I tagged you here with the Blogging-About-Blogs tag. Play if you want to :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would love to watch it, but aren't there some rather inappropriate scenes?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, there are quite a few inappropriate scenes -- which is the reason I didn't like it at first. But it's a great story despite that. If I do write a review, I will definitely mention any indecent scenes people might wish to skip. ;-)

      Delete
  12. "I say yes." ;D

    I'd love to hear more about how you love this miniseries! My parents and siblings have watched it all (some of us had to be sent away due to the Exceedingly Indelicate nature of certain parts *ahem*), and I think they sort of had a love/hate relationship with it, too. Anyway, I think a ranty, squealy review would be fun! :D

    I'd like to watch it, too--especially for George ;) --if I could talk myself into it aside from all the icky stuff…we'll see :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good! Yay. :-) I remember you said you'd watched some of it -- but yeah, it's definitely not The Thing for younger children. But OHHHH, there's so much good in it. You should watch it. :-)

      Oh yes, GEORGE. *swoons* Actually, it's funny -- the first time I watched it George was my favorite, and this time (while I still love George to the moon and back) I'm all ORRY ORRY ORRY. I adore them both. :-)

      Delete
  13. This looks like a good miniseries! Is there anything major, content wise? I'd love to read your review on it! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Natalie, it IS. There's a lot of skippable scenes, but if you skip them, it's DEFINITELY worth watching.

      Delete

I'd love it if you'd drop me a line or two! I always enjoy receiving comments from readers and friends. I ask that you please keep your comments clean and God-honoring, and please don't write anything you wouldn't want your grandmother to read. Also, if you are commenting under anonymous, please do leave your name (or some sort of moniker so that you aren't totally nameless). Thank you so much and have a lovely day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...