Tuesday, December 15, 2015

My Favorite Christmas Movies


     I love my Christmas movies. The thing about Christmas movies is, you can watch them over and over every year and nobody ever says, "Didn't you just watch that last year?" Yes, of course I did! Because it's Christmas! And I love it!

     So here's a list of my favorites. Not in any order -- because ain't nobody got time for that. They're all special to me for different reasons.


The Preacher's Wife (1996)

     The first time I saw this movie was actually in the middle of summertime -- it was several years ago, I was sick on the couch, and Mama put it on so I watched it. (She forgot that it was about Christmas.) I didn't expect to like it very much -- and was surprised to find out that it's actually really good! And really hilarious. A modern-day remake of the movie The Bishop's Wife (with Cary Grant), it's about a big-city preacher and his wife (Courtenay B. Vance and Whitney Houston) who are drifting apart, so an angel named Dudley (Denzel Washington) is sent to earth to help bring them back together. It's a really sweet story, with some great songs sung by Whitney Houston ("I Believe in You and Me" is amaaaaaazing), lots of really funny lines and an adorable little boy named Jeremiah. ;-) I've only seen this one twice, but I really liked it both times!

     Warning: Denzel Washington will completely capture your heart.



Home Alone (1990)

     Yes, I like Home Alone. I LOVE Home Alone! In fact it's funny, because when my mother bought it one year and we watched it on Christmas after getting home from my grandparents' house, I thought I'd hate it. Then I ended up dubbing it the funniest thing ever. ;-P It is definitely one of the funniest movies I've ever seen. The main reason I love it is Kevin -- that kid is awesome. He's adorable and vulnerable and naughty and realistically disrespectful/lovable. Plus he's really, really smart. ("Is this toothbrush approved by the American Dental Association?") Seriously, who else could come up with all that to keep the robbers away?! It's amazing. I love Kevin. I also love the old man next door, and his and Kevin's conversation in the church; and the 'Wet Bandits' and their hilarious stupidity; and John Candy and his polka troupe. If you haven't seen it, you are missing out on a piece of Americana.



White Christmas (1956)

     I'm pretty sure everyone loves White Christmas, for most of the same reasons. Here are some of the reasons I love it:

  • a friend gave it to us on VHS several years ago
  • Bing Crosby and Danny Kaye are legendary together
  • the singing and the dancing are so much fun!
  • the scene at the end at the inn where all the soldiers line up and General Waverley says "I never saw a finer-looking bunch of men" *tears up*
  • the girls' dresses
  • BING CROSBY
  • Bing Crosby
  • and Bing Crosby


Holiday Inn (1942) (Wow, I didn't know it was that old!!)

     The same friend who gave us White Christmas gave us this one on VHS too, and my family watched it for the first time a few nights ago. OH MY. Guys, I love old black-and-white movies. And I love Bing Crosby. (Seriously. Desperately.) Holiday Inn isn't very much about Christmas -- that is, there's a Christmas part, but mostly it's just about holidays in general. (There are fifteen in the whole year, you know.) It's about two showbiz friends and how one of them, Jim (Bing Crosby) leaves showbusiness and opens up his own inn that's open only on holidays. Hence, Holiday Inn. The other friend, Ted (Fred Astaire), after losing his dance partner, who was also his fiance, who also used to be Jim's fiance, turns up looking for another dance partner and ends up performing at the inn with Linda Mason (Marjorie Reynolds), a girl who's always wanted to be in showbusiness, and who by this time is also unofficially engaged to Jim. (It's kind of a tricky love triangle.) It has all that clever, old-timey romance, a bunch of fun songs, and whole lot of dancing! I think I might like this better even than White Christmas, believe it or not. It's just SO much fun. :-)

I know. This isn't fair.


Meet Me In St. Louis (1944)

     I LOVE LOVE LOVE THIS MOVIE. It's my childhood. It's my third-favorite movie of all time. It holds so many feelings for me, so many memories, so much happiness, so many tears. Just so much. I don't know if you'd call it a Christmas movie....I've watched it other times of the year, but in most recent years only around Christmas, as it does have a big Christmas part. I've probably seen it more than a dozen times, and every time the magic is still there; the excitement of the World's Fair, the impish mischief of Tootie and Agnes's escapades, the bright red of Judy Garland's Christmas dress (oh, how I have always coveted that dress!!!) Even the painfully flat zing in the closing music on our ancient VHS tape, which seems part of the score to me now. Basically all I can say is, I love this movie.


     It's a Wonderful Life (1946)

     You can't get any more classic than It's a Wonderful Life. This is another one I have intense feelings for. I think I watched it (or at least part of it -- I remember the gym-floor-opening-into-a-swimming-pool-scene clearly) when I was very young, and decided for some reason that I didn't like it; then, last year, I watched it again. And OHHHHH MY. This is one of the best movies ever made, folks. I dare you to argue. It's about life -- and it's wonderful. I am in love with Jimmy Stewart's George Bailey. I'd love to live in a quiet little town like Mount Bedford. This movie is one of those that makes me reeeeaaally want to live back in the 40's. :-) I loved it so much, I can't wait to watch it again and make up for all the years I missed watching it!


Have you seen any of these?     
What are some of your favorite Christmas movies?



38 comments:

  1. I've seen all of those except Holiday Inn and The Preacher's Wife. But now, I really want to watch Holiday Inn!!! :) *InJimmyStewart'svoice* "Merry Christmas!" ;D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Holiday Inn is charming. I have yet to see anything with Bing Crosby in it that ISN'T completely charming. Merry Christmas to you too! :-)

      Delete
  2. White Christmas is a nostalgia must. Plus, as it should be, the music is fabulous. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! I sing those sounds year-round.

      Delete
  3. I haven't seen any of these but 'home alone' (which I don't even like) and I know I know, I deserve a spanking.

    I REALLY want to watch 'Meet Me at St Louis' SO badly, though. Weep with me.

    ~ Naomi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So -- we've been over this before, I think -- but why is it you don't like Home Alone? Have you seen it lately? Because it's reeeeaally hilarious.

      I am weeping with you, truly I am!

      Delete
    2. (We have talked about this. Haha.) I saw it two years ago... I don't know whyyyy. I liked some bits, but it was just so overdone and I can't really explain. Maybe it's the American sense of humour I didn't really get. Really, it might be that. :-P (I DID like the boy though. He was really awesome.)

      Thaaaaaaaaaaaanks. Sniff. Life is hard.

      ~ Naomi

      Delete
    3. Okay, I've never seen Home Alone either, but you guys made me curious--so I just watched it and I couldn't stop laughing. But I can tell you, it IS a very "American" kind of humor and I can definitely see why it might not appeal to you, Naomi ;) It's the over-the-top, ridiculous, slapstick kind--like what you see in "Tangled" or "Spaceballs." If you know what I mean . . .

      Delete
    4. Oh--sorry--I meant to say, I watched the TRAILER. And a bunch of clips. Not the whole thing ;) I'm just really tired right now . . . ;)

      Delete
  4. Holiday Inn (Bing Crosby!!!!!!) and It's A Wonderful Life are favorites of mine too!
    If you like old films starring Jimmy Stewart you should watch The Shop Around The Corner, it's a Christmas film/romantic comedy and lots of fun, no dancing though:(.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Annie, The Shop Around the Corner is one I've been wanting to see! Thanks for recommending it -- now I'll be prompted to get it next time I go to the library. :-)

      Delete
    2. If you've seen You've Got Mail, it's based on The Shop Around the Corner. Definitely fantastic. But you can't go wrong with Jimmy Stewart!

      Delete
    3. I LOVED You've Got Mail, so that's partly why I want to see TSATC. (Plus Jimmy Stewart, because DUH.)

      Delete
  5. You like White Christmas too?! You should read through the Would You Rather Game that I made in its honor. You can read it here:
    http://writeoncordy.blogspot.com/2015/12/white-christmas-1954-would-you-rather.html
    Even if you don't comment, it can be fun to answer to yourself. As to the others, I've seen Holiday Inn: "Shortcut to the shortcut!"
    I've seen a Wonderful Life but I don't like it as much.
    I didn't know they had remade the Bishop's Wife. Now I'm interested because I like Whitney Houston!
    I've never seen Home Alone or Meet Me in St. Louis. But I am more interested in Meet Me, than Home Alone.

    As to what might be considered my favorites, I love White Christmas, Christmas in Connecticut (1945), and A Charlie Brown Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, I'll have to look at that! Thanks!

      Whitney Houston is SO good in The Preacher's Wife. I haven't seen The Bishop's Wife, but I do love Cary Grant, so... ;-)

      Delete
  6. What a fantastic list! And I completely agree with you, these are must-sees at Christmas time (although I like The Bishop's Wife slightly better than The Preacher's Wife). I'm so happy to find someone who understands why I watch Meet Me in St. Louis every Christmas...that's just...an always movie. If you haven't seen it before, you should watch One Magic Christmas (1985 with Mary Steenburgen). It's real and beautiful and underrated; I think you'd like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, I'll look for that one! Thanks!

      Delete
  7. You basically just listed all my favorite movies!

    I watched The Bishops Wife with Cary Grant (and of course Loretta Young) it was pretty good!

    I just re-watched White Christmas the other day! Love!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Emma, now I want to see the Bishop's Wife. Cary Grant is one of favorite oldies. :-)

      Delete
    2. 'My' favorite oldies, I meant.

      Delete
  8. I love these movies! Such fun! I hope to watch Home Alone again this Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love these movies! Such fun! I hope to watch Home Alone again this Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't they though? It's been a tradition for us to watch Home Alone on Christmas night for the past two years, so I hope we do again this year. :-)

      Delete
  10. Well, I've seen half of these ;D And I really really really want to re-watch White Christmas. Like, it's not even funny.

    Bing Crosby. I know.

    Hehehe, do you want to know something really awful about me? I've never really been dreadfully moved by It's a Wonderful Life. *ducks* I know, I know, t'is shameful. But when I mentioned that to my mom, and how it distresses me mildly, she assured me that I would mature, so there's hope for me ;)

    My two favorite Christmas movies are The Nativity Story and While You Were Sleeping (polar opposites, I know). :) I enjoy Elf and Home Alone if I'm in the right mood, too... Oh, and last night I just watched a movie with someone via Internet/chatting stuff, and it's called The Mistle-tones, and it's ADORABLE :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really? Well, I guess I can understand that -- like I said, It's a Wonderful Life used to not mean anything to me. But NOW...!!!! Oh my. We'll work on you, Olivia. :-)

      I like The Nativity Story too...haven't seen it in a few years though. And I loved While You Were Sleeping. :-) I like Elf alright, but it's a bit too silly for me (plus Will Ferrell annoys the dickens out of me). Oh, I've heard of the Mistle-tones! Hmm, I'll be on the lookout for that one. :-)

      Delete
  11. These look cool! I've actually never seen any of these, though *winces* But I think it's because our family doesn't watch much movies in general, and so I've only just begun to watch things by myself :)

    We have two things we always like to watch around Christmas time. One is an OLD OLD video of the Nutcracker ballet, and the other is the Carrie Underwood version of the Sound of Music. (We taped it off the television when it first came out ;))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rosie, I still haven't seen The Sound of Music with Carrie Underwood? Is it good, then?

      Oh yes, the Nutcracker is classic. I was in our local ballet company's production of it for three years, and so those songs are all ingrained in my brain now forever. ;-P

      Delete
    2. YES IT IS VERY GOOD. I really really liked it. The children are wonderful, the Captain and Max are awesome, and Carrie Underwood (Maria) was amazing. And her voice - !!! So if you ever get a chance to watch it, I would highly recommend it :)

      The Nutcracker's awwwwwwwwwwwesome :D

      Delete
  12. You've seen Holiday Inn? Oh I love that movie! I'd say it's definitely better than White Christmas--though I like White Christmas, too.

    Oh, and I just have to add my two cents for you watching Shop Around the Corner, because that is SUCH a good movie! :) You MUST see it!

    If I find that I have the time and inclination, would you mind if I sort of stole this post idea? Because I think it would be fun to compile a list of the Christmas movies I've seen. :) (Of course I probably won't get around to it, but just in case I do...)

    I really enjoyed this post, Emma! :D

    ~Miss March

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES! I love it too. :-) I was surprised when I enjoyed it even more than White Christmas -- I didn't think that was possible.

      Of course you may! I sort of stole it from someone else, who probably sort of stole it from someone else. ;-P I'd love to read your list!

      Delete
  13. I love all the movies that you picked! The only one I haven't seen is the Preacher's wife and I've seen only a little bit of Home Alone, but I didn't like it very much, so I stopped watching it. If the Preacher's Wife is based on the Bishop's Wife, I think I'll like it because I like the Bishop's Wife.

    I love it's a Wonderful Life! Christmas just wouldn't be Christmas without it. Last year, I was able to see it on the big screen, and it was really amazing. Cinemark theaters are hosting it again for their Classic series, and I would definitely suggest going if you can. It's much more fun and different to watch a classic movie on the big screen.

    Meet Me in St. Louis and especially White Christmas are important Christmas movies. I recently rewatched White Christmas, now I have to rewatch Meet Me in St. Louis. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE IS THE BEST CHRISTMAS MOVIE EVER!!!
    Sorry. I just had to say that loudly for some reason. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I haven't seen the Preacher's Wife or Home Alone, so I can't really comment on those. :-)
    I believe you know my thoughts on White Christmas. ;-) I've actually arranged to get my great Aunty to bring it out on Christmas Day when she comes down, so we can borrow it! So I'm hoping to watch it again sometime soon! :-D
    And I haven't seen Holiday Inn either....
    I saw Meet Me in St. Louis earlier this year and really enjoyed it! Except our library DVD was scratched, so I was pretty annoyed about that. >:-/ But *I* would consider it a Christmas movie. :-D
    I haven't seen It's a Wonderful Life! I've looked around but I can't find it...not very easily anyway. Grr....I hope to remedy that some day. >:-/
    I sometimes count Little Women (1994) a Christmas movie. That's an amazing movie. But you know my thoughts about that as well...
    The Nativity Story is our Christmas movie we watch each year. :-) Although this year we are hoping to see a Sherlock Christmas Special coming out at the movies! That should be very good. They're taking them back to the 1800s (because originally the TV show is a modern take of it)! And we watch all the carols on TV, too. :-)
    ~Miss Meg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Watch White Christmas again. :-) I just watched it last night, and ohhhhhhh the feeeeeels.

      I think Little Women could count as a Christmas movie. Lots of people do count it. I don't really think of it as one personally, though, because we never watch it around Christmas.

      The Nativity Story is really good! The first time I watched that was in Sunday school at church....ahh, I loved that class. :-)

      I heard about the Sherlock Christmas Special! I hope it's good!

      Delete
  16. We don't watch Little Women at Christmas much either, but whenever we DO watch it, I feel like I'm in the Christmas mood. ;-)
    Aww, you got to watch that in Sunday school? Lucky you. :-P
    Haha, me too! :-D
    ~Meg

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wonderful choices! I've seen all of these -- I try to alternate watching White Christmas and It's a Wonderful Life, year-by-year, so I don't OD on all the delight. I also love We're No Angels -- the original with Humphrey Bogart. Seriously, if you haven't seen it, find it, because it is funny and adorable and awwwwwwww-inducing. And I love a couple different version of A Christmas Carol, the one with Patrick Stewart and the Muppets version. I try to watch one of those every year too. And then there's The Santa Clause and Miracle on 34th Street...

    And While You Were Sleeping takes place on and around Christmas too, but for some reason I don't consider it a Christmas movie. Hmmm. I'll watch it all year around, and We're No Angels too. And we watch Meet Me in St. Louis a TON because my daughters lurve it -- my 4-year-old Tootie nicknamed herself after it, hee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love funny and adorable and aww-inducing movies, so I'll be on the look out for that one! There were lots of old Christmas movies that I wanted to see this year...The Shop Around the Corner and Christmas in Connecticut were two, but I didn't get to see them. :-( There's always next year.

      Meet Me In St. Louis didn't used to be a Christmas movie for me, but in the past couple of years it's sort of become one because we started watching it annually around Christmas. Haha, I know a few little Tooties myself. ;-P

      Delete

I'd love it if you'd drop me a line or two! I always enjoy receiving comments from readers and friends. I ask that you please keep your comments clean and God-honoring, and please don't write anything you wouldn't want your grandmother to read. Also, if you are commenting under anonymous, please do leave your name (or some sort of moniker so that you aren't totally nameless). Thank you so much and have a lovely day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...