Monday, December 7, 2015

December happenings & a fun little tag

     Hello friends! I'm sitting here on my desk in my cozy little house, listening to Sara Evans' At Christmas (mooching off of Youtube -- but that's what it's there for, right?) and enjoying the smell of the woodsy candle burning beside me. This is what I love about December -- this coziness of being able to stay inside your house with such delightful comforts as candles and Christmas music and popcorn and apple cider. :-) (I'd be a lot happier if there were white flakes outside...but I'm not complaining.) Seeing as it's been awhile since I gave you all a rambling report of the goings-on in my little valley, I thought it would be fun to give you a little glimpse.

     Plus I have some exciting things to tell you about, one of them being that....


     I'm going to a Sara Evans concert!!!!!!!!!!! EEEEEEHHHH!!!!!!! (I'm just a tiny bit excited, if you can't tell.) Sara Evans is one of my faaavorite country singers -- I actually liked her before I started liking country -- so when my sister told me she was coming to a high school only about an hour away I was like, WHAT WHAT WHAT. There was no question of my not going. ;-P My two sisters and I are all going. It's in two weeks. I AM SO EXCITED. :-D


     Here's something surprising: I have discovered in myself a weakness for romantic comedies. I like them a lot. It all started with Leap Year, I believe...then I started getting Meg Ryan/Tom Hanks movies out from the library and now I can't stop. ;-P The thing I like about rom-coms, as I told a friend, is that they're about weird people who find other weird people and fall in love through a series of weird happenings. They make you feel good and keep you believing in real-life romance.

      Last week I watched While You Were Sleeping. I'd been wanting to see it for a long time, after reading reviews on some of my favorite blogs, and I loved it! Especially Jack. :-) I really have a thing for guys with low, throaty voices and 80's hair who wear reversible denim jackets.

    I don't always take pictures, but when I do, I put them on my blog. :-)

Isn't this stunning? If you want the story of the DA poster, ask in the comments. ;-P

   

     These are the Christmas lights I wrote about in this blog post.


     The donkeys, Gus and Woodrow, who are ADORABLE. :-D


Gluten-free Joe-Joe's = happiness in a box.


The barn kitties, Gracie and Magnolia


December so far has been full of good books, Living Christmas Tree performances (last one was yesterday!) playing with my cat Oliver, cleaning bunny cages, laughing with friends, decorating the house (some, at least), and a thousand story ideas tumbling around my brain. Speaking of story ideas....Melody at Regency Delight is thinking of having a Christmas short story contest, and she's got a poll up to see who all's interested. I've already been working on a Christmas story, so I'm really excited about this! Please go over there and vote so she'll do the contest. Thanks. :-)

And lastly, Erudessa from The Flowering Vales has tagged me with the Tinsel Tag! How can you refuse a tag with a name as cute as that?

1. What's your favorite thing about Christmas?

     The excitement -- the anticipation -- the magic. And everything. :-)
  

2. Giving or getting presents?

     Giving AND getting. (See how I avoided answering the question? See?)


3. Favorite Christmas movie?


     Meet Me In St. Louis. It's my third-favorite movie ever, actually. I'm not sure if it would technically qualify as a Christmas movie....but it's always been a Christmas movie to me. I love the music, the characters, the old-timey elegance. Plus I've been watching it since I was knee-high to a grasshopper, so it's basically ingrained in my being forever.

     My second-favorite is It's a Wonderful Life. I also love White Christmas, The Preacher's Bride and Home Alone. (Hey, maybe I should do a blog post about favorite Christmas movies!)


4. Favorite Christmas food?

    I don't have a particular favorite Christmas food...I'll just say popcorn, because I love that anytime!

5. Ice skating or sledding?

     I love both, but sledding is outside and I've never been skating outside, so I'll say sledding. Plus skating hurts my feet. Sledding only hurts if you crash into someone else's sled or slide into a briar patch. (This has happened, btw.)

6. Decorating a tree or decorating cookies? 

     A tree! I love decorating Christmas trees. :-) Decorating cookies is fun too.



8. What is your favorite Christmas memory? 

     Oh....well, one of the things I love is waking up early in the mornings before Christmas and turning the tree lights on while it's still dark. I have fond memories of going to get Christmas trees with my daddy at various wacky places...spending Christmas day at my grandparents' house, and caroling to their elderly neighbor. Making popcorn chains while watching An Avonlea Christmas, getting excited over the first snow, keeping tabs on when all the neighbors put up their Christmas lights....I don't have one favorite memory. Every one is special in its own way. :-)
  

9. Favorite Christmas song?

     'Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas' has always been one of my favorites, because it's in Meet Me In St. Louis and that part always makes me cry. (I like things that make me cry.) As for Christmas carols, I really love 'The First Noel'.


  

10. Hot Cocoa or Apple Cider?

     Apple cider! It's pretty much my favorite thing in the world.


     This has been fun -- feeling like I'm catching up with you all. :-) But now I've got to go, as there are stories to write and Christmas programs to practice for and a whole list of other things to do (as well as the Missouri Compromise to straighten out...*coughcough*) I know haven't been posting a whole lot lately, but I hope that will change in the coming weeks! Till then, goodbye friends!


P.S. Aren't Beatrix Potter's Christmas prints the most adorable things you ever saw in all your living life?

25 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh!! I created this tag and never thought that it would go anywhere, but already three bloggers that I follow have done it, you being the fourth. This is honestly really cool to see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! That's awesome! I enjoyed doing it. :-)

      Delete
  2. Happy December! What a lovely post, I do love Beatrix Potter illustrations! :)What are living Christmas tree presentations?
    I listened to the "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas", and I don't think I've ever heard such a sad Christmas song! Judy Garland sings it so sadly, and without some of the modern lyrics, it is almost depressing! But also really pretty. :)
    Abby

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy December to you too, Abby! :-)

      The Living Christmas Tree is a sort of musical pageant a church in our area does every Christmas. There's a big wooden tree that the choir stands in, and a live orchestra and pageantry and everything. It's really cool. This was my first year singing in the choir and I loved it!

      Haha. I guess it is pretty sad. ;-P You should hear the original lyrics they wrote for the movie! Judy Garland actually went to the composer and told him she couldn't sing that song to a child, because it was so sad, so they changed it. It's still really sad. But I love it. ;-)

      Delete
  3. *Naomi reads through post*
    *Suddenly sees DA poster*
    *Swoons*
    *SWOONS MORE*
    *Freaks out*

    WHERE DID YOU GET THAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT?!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :-) Really. Where?!!! It's gorgeous and I need to know all the details of the story behind you getting it. :-)

    Oh look, a picture of Jane of Lantern Hill! :-)
    Yes, the Beatrix Potter pictures are VEWY cute.

    ~ Naomi

    PS I watched Saving Mr Banks twice yesterday. Well, almost twice. I REALLY love it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ISN'T IT GORGEOUS????? Heehee. Actually, I was just going to send you an email, so I'll tell you about the poster then. ;-)

      Really? You watched it twice? I guess you must have loved it. ;-P

      Delete
  4. Daniel Webster! ;)

    Cute tag, Emma! Oh, and you're going to go see your favorite singer?!! I am so happy for you :)

    Jessica and I are hoping that Melody does the contest too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew you'd get the reference. :-)

      YES! I'm so excited. Thanks! :-)

      I know, I really hope she does! I've already been working on a short Christmas story that would be just PERFECT for the contest....

      Delete
    2. So'm I! I got this awesome idea and I just HAD to write it--whether she does the contest or not :)

      Newsies in 2.5 days. Freaking out.

      So happy you got tickets to that concert!!! Have a wonderful time!!!!

      Delete
    3. NEWSIES IN 2.5 DAYS. I know. :-) Believe it or not, that was one of the first things I thought when I woke up this morning -- "Jessica and Rosie are going to see Newsies in two days." I'm really excited for you!

      I'm happy too! Thanks! :-)

      Delete
    4. Aww--that's so sweet of you to think of us! Thank you! Rosie and me can't wait to see it and write our guest post telling you ALL ABOUT IT!!!

      Delete
  5. This was such an adorably cozy and "tinselly" post, Emma. I enjoyed it very much. I really should do some Christmas-y posts on my blog, but I'm not sure what...and I take such a long time deciding that it's quite likely Christmas will be over before I get around to it. :/

    Okay, so I was pretty sure someone would ask about the DA poster and when I saw that Naomi had, I was like "Oh, good. I can find out the answer without bothering to ask." NOT. Haha! So what IS the story behind that poster?

    I've never seen Meet Me in St. Louis, but that was a really cute video. The little girl plays Beth in Little Women '49, doesn't she? Ah! You're putting me in a Christmas-y mood!

    Yes, do a post about Christmas movies! I'd love to read it.

    "...waking up early in the mornings before Christmas and turning the tree lights on while it's still dark." Oh! I love having little chats with my siblings around the lighted Christmas tree! That's one of the best parts of the Christmas season. Only we usually do it at night and don't bother about the getting up early part. :P Heehee.

    I LOVE the Beatrix Potter pictures. You're so right, they're adorable! And so wintry and cozy, too. (I told you this was a cozy post!) Where do you find pictures like that? On Pinterest?

    Anyway, I must be going. Have a lovely day!

    Oh! And the lights in your barn are beautiful!!! :D

    ~Miss March

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Miss March, I feel ya! Every year I think, "Oh, I'll do so many lovely Christmassy posts this year and it'll be so wonderful..." and then I hardly ever get them done. Ah well. I keep trying. ;-)

      Haha. I'd be glad to tell you the story of the poster. ;-P My mom got it at a radio station when my sister went to play on the air with her string ensemble -- the poster was hanging up there, and my mom (who is rather notorious for ripping pages out of the magazines at the dentist office) told Sadie she was going to take it home. But then she ended up asking the lady in the radio station where they got it, and the lady said, "Oh, we have lots more! Would you like one?" So they brought one home! I was delighted. ;-)

      You must see Meet Me In St. Louis!!!! BEST MOVIE EVER. (Really.) Yes, that's Margaret O'Brien -- she's adorable. :-)

      I agree. There's something very magical about Christmas lights in the dark!

      Aren't they, though?! I just googled 'Beatrix Potter Christmas pictures' and found tons of cute ones.

      Thank you! You have a lovely day as well!

      Delete
  6. I loved seeing all your photos! The barn lights--SO pretty!
    And, even though I haven't watched DA, I find that poster extremely intriguing....and it's the last season! And Mary is dressed like a flapper! That's interesting how they show the progression of the times and fashion...and perhaps even her character?
    Oh! Your copy of Jane of Lantern Hill! Love it. :)
    Aww, yes, the Beatrix Potter prints are so sweet! And there's the one she gave Norman! -sniff- That movie is so bittersweet. :')

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Natalie, thanks! I loved sharing them. :-)

      Oh, Downton Abbey. How I love it. :-D Yes, they have entered the 20's, so everything is flapper! The progression of time is done marvelously well -- and Mary's character too, although she doesn't really change that much. ;-P

      Yes, I thought of that when I picked out the picture. *sniffle*

      Delete
  7. THE PERFECTION OF THE FACT THAT THOSE DONKEYS ARE NAMED GUS AND WOODROW IS CAUSING ME SERIOUS PROBLEMS RIGHT NOW.

    You watched While You Were Sleeping! Isn't it darling? I loves it (and I have a weakness for romantic comedies, too--so glad you share it!). "He said you were...intimate." "Yeah, well, he also says he invented aluminum foil. HE'S DELUSIONAL."

    You should do a post about Christmas movies! :D And I should watch Meet Me In St. Louis...What is your second favorite movie? I think I know the first--ahem ;)--so I'm just curious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I KNOW RIGHT? It was my idea. ;-P I love my little Gus and Woodrow.

      I loved While You Were Sleeping! Haha, Joe Jr. is hilarious -- even more so because I actually have a neighbor who's so much like him, it's really scary. "It looked like he was....leaning."

      I think I will! Oh, yes, you should. Everyone should. :-) (My second favorite movie is Far and Away -- LD is my favorite. You knew that.)

      Delete
    2. Oh, and did I ever tell you my two goats are named Deets and Newt?

      Delete
    3. They are positively precious ;)

      You have a neighbor who's like Joe Jr.?! That's--simultaneously one of the best and most disconcerting things I've ever heard xD He's just hilarious, though. "I know karate."

      Ahh, thought so. About the first favorite, that is--I didn't know Far and Away YET ;D I really want to re-watch that...

      No, you didn't tell me that yet! You ought to have, though, you naughty girl ;P

      Delete
    4. Yeah, I know. ;-P Actually he moved, so he's not really our neighbor anymore -- his mom lives across the street. (That's all we need to say about that!)

      Delete
  8. You guys have donkeys? That's so amazing! (I'm almost as fond of donkeys as I am of Shetland ponies and I would love to have one of both someday)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! And they're so adorable. I love my donkeys. :-)

      Delete
  9. Hey Emma, I'm back! *waves happily* Now I can catch up on everything. Or at least attempt to.
    So! Now let me scroll up.....Yay! Lucky you! I guess you would have already seen her perform...I see Les Miserables next week. EEEKKK!
    Oh, I love that photo with your barn in it! I love your barn. Just saying. ;-) AND THE DONKEYS. My mother really wants donkeys (but she wants alpacas even more. And peacocks. Somehow I don't think she'll get either. :-P) They look so cute!
    Aww, you've got kitties?! *sigh* I'd rather kittens over cows any day.... :-P
    That Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas has to be one of the most sad renditions of it I've heard! A Christmas carol that makes me cry the most would have to be "Christmas Shoes". *sniff* Oh, that just DOES SOMETHING. Excuse me, I must find some tissues....
    Beatrix Potter pictures ARE so adorable, yes!! I love the bunnies....you can see them all huddling around the letter and getting excited...awww...
    Now onto your next post! :-D
    ~Miss Meg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're back! I was so happy to see the comments from you this morning. :-) I hope your trip was fun! I sent you a letter a few days ago, but I don't think it'll be there before Christmas.

      YES! The concert was AMAAAAAZING! I'll be blogging about it at some point. :-)

      Thanks -- I love our barn too! We have two kitties in the barn, and one at home.

      Ohhh, The Christmas Shoes is SO sad! Have you seen the movie? *sniffle* Yeah.

      Delete
    2. Aww, thank you. :-) Yes, I'll probably tell you about my trip in my reply to your letter (when I get it)! :-D
      Oh, I'm glad. (Now I sound like Pollyanna.)I can't wait to read about it. :-)
      No, I haven't seen the movie, I didn't even know there WAS a movie on it! I've seen the little video clip that a school made (the acting was *ahem* tolerable) but that's about it. :-)
      ~Meg

      Delete

I'd love it if you'd drop me a line or two! I always enjoy receiving comments from readers and friends. I ask that you please keep your comments clean and God-honoring, and please don't write anything you wouldn't want your grandmother to read. Also, if you are commenting under anonymous, please do leave your name (or some sort of moniker so that you aren't totally nameless). Thank you so much and have a lovely day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...