Tuesday, November 24, 2015

"There's so many different Emmas in me...."

    (....and maybe that's why I'm such a troublesome person." :-))


      Here's what I'm imagining you did:

     *saw post on Emma's blog*

     *either groooaaaaned or thought ooh, yay!* (If you did the former, please feel free to unfollow me at any time, thanks.)

    *clicked on post*

     *immediately noticed blog design change*

     *thought, isn't that, like, the third time in two months she's changed her blog design? What is WRONG with the girl?*

     *rolled your eyes*

     Maybe you didn't do exactly that. ;-P But I'm sure you noticed that A Lantern In Her Hand looks much different today than it did a few days ago. Yes, people, I've changed my look -- again. Yes, I know it was only a few weeks since I put the last header up, and I did think it was beautiful, but...it wasn't quite right. So I went ahead and changed it again.

     The truth is, I change my blog layout way too much. I am aware of this. It seems like my mood is always changing, and thus my vision for this blog. There are days when I want it to be cozy and vintage and quaint, other days when I feel like being all hip and cool and modern. (*cough cough* which is really sooooo not me, most of the time! ;-)) And so I tend to think, well, this is the way I feel, so this is the way The Blog should look. People should be able to tell from the moment they click on it what kind of person I am. They should see what great taste I have and what an awesome blogger I am. Right?

This doesn't exactly relate, except that I *don't* have any of those social medias and I think it's funny. ;-D


    Here's the thing: I want my blog to reflect my personality, but I don't want it to be the extent of my personality. My online life is not my life; it's an extension of my life, and a very special part of it, but I don't want to put too much stock in how I appear through this little ol' blog of mine and thus neglect to embrace the real-life me beyond these four walls....um, four sides of the screen.

     Hence the new layout. This was my mood yesterday. Simple, fresh...a little boring, maybe. But it's like a blank canvas. I can paint on it anything I want to. And that's what I like about it.

   I want my writing to be strong enough without the help of a fancy-shmancy header to convince people that they should read my posts. That's not to say anything against fancy-shmancy headers -- I love pretty headers!!! I love gorgeous, frilly, sparkly blogs. (I get super excited every time Naomi  changes her header, cuz hers are the best.) But for me, right now, that's not what I need. This blog is a place for me to share my thoughts, feelings, and bits of my life -- it always has been. But I'm not the same girl I was when I started it, and I'm continually growing, and changing too, whether I want to or not. ;-P My writing has changed sort of drastically, too -- the other day I was reading some of my old blog posts and couldn't help laughing. I'm a much more mature writer than I was (THANK GOODNESS), but I'm still working on polishing my writing skills so they can stand on their own. I hope my writing here is strong. And good. And something people want to read.


    So that's my long-winded-and-probably-too-deep explanation of why I have (for, like, the third time in two months) changed my blog design. ;-)


     And don't worry, folks -- this doesn't mean there's going to be more astronomical changes around here. Just because it looks different doesn't mean it is different. I'll still be posting about the same old things. (That may or may not be good news to you, heh. ;-))

     With all that said: what do you think?

   

14 comments:

  1. I like your new look. AND don't worry, I like to read allll of your posts. I'm sure if I had a blog, I'd always be posting posts and changing the look up :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rosie, thank you so much. Yes, sometimes it is hard to just settle down with one look for a long time!

      Delete
  2. Haha, we talked about this the other day. :-D I saw the sentence, 'changed blog look again' in the little preview box on my dashboard, and clicked on it really quickly. I LOVE all your looks, Emsy. Like, don't bother not changing them for US. :-P

    And this one too, of course. There isn't much to look at (and I like looking at things), but it's really CLEAN. :-) And modern. (Ooooo. SHOCKING.) And professional looking. I want a blog look like that sometimes. (Once I tried making one, but it looked so different I changed it back. No-one ever saw it.)

    Yeah, I know. Blogging is part of my life, my life isn't part of blogging.

    HAHA. I read my old posts the other day and must have blushed red. SO EMBARRASSING MAN. I might delete a bunch. I'm always scared that what I'm writing NOW will make me laugh one day. But I've matured a lot too. Although I'm still a pretty nonsensical bean, admit it meself.

    And I'm glad you get excited at my cluttered looks. :-D I sometimes want to do simpler ones, but I always have too much fun finding pictures. *shrugs*

    ~ Naomi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Modern?! OH NO! ;-P Haha. I wanted it to be slightly more professional looking, and still not too hip. I'm getting used to it.

      I think about deleting some of my old posts sometimes! Some of them are REALLY bad. You know.

      I DO get excited at your cluttered looks. Don't ever try to make a neat and tidy blog because I will send you hate-mail. (HAHA JK)

      Delete
  3. *groans and rolls eyes*
    I mean, really? Would I seriously do that? Would anyone seriously do that?! With your posts!?!! Not I!! (Dear me, no, I'd be the one clapping and smiling and getting all excited!) Of course I don't care whether you change your blog design or not. ;-) I like them all! Whatever strikes your fancy tends to strike mine. ;-P
    I love reading all your posts (even the very old ones that are quite different) so as long as they keep coming, I'm entirely satisfied. :-D And that's all I've got to say. (I know, like my two bits really matter. *snort*)
    ~Miss Meg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I don't know, someone might do that. ;-P I'm glad you get excited at my posts -- that makes me excited.

      Delete
  4. I like your new design. To be sure, it's very simple, but simple is sweet. And it's also a lot easier because you don't have so many colors to try and match together. I think that's one of the more difficult parts of designing a layout (for me anyway)...getting the header to match the background, and the background to match the links, and so forth. Because I can't stand it when things don't match. :)

    Heehee. I really like the picture you included! That is just FUNNY! "I've got 3 followers so far, but I think 2 are cops..." Hahaha! I don't have Facebook or Twitter either.

    I like your writing, Emma. You have a very nice style. And don't worry about changing the look of your blog. Do it as often as you like. It's fun to see what you come up with. :)

    ~Miss March

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Miss March! Exactly -- I sometimes get overly concerned with matching things and having everything JUST right. This way there was less to worry about. ;-P I'm glad you like it!

      Delete
  5. Well, I really, really like your new header because it's brown and I LOVE BROWN. Seriously. It's one of my favorite colors. (I know that sounds odd. But it looks nice on me, so hey ;) )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really like brown too, and I love barns and this background reminded me of a barn so I stuck it up there. ;-) And no, that doesn't sound odd! Brown is beautiful.

      Delete
  6. Oh, I like your new design VERY much. I love fresh, clean designs with a white background. Of course, I like the other kinds too, but the clean look is definitely one of my favorites. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Natalie! I like the way it's fresh and easy too.

      Delete

I'd love it if you'd drop me a line or two! I always enjoy receiving comments from readers and friends. I ask that you please keep your comments clean and God-honoring, and please don't write anything you wouldn't want your grandmother to read. Also, if you are commenting under anonymous, please do leave your name (or some sort of moniker so that you aren't totally nameless). Thank you so much and have a lovely day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...