Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Anne of Green Gables, My Daughter & Me // review


by
Lorilee Craker

     What a special book this is! When I requested this to review, I had no idea how much I'd enjoy it. It was about Anne of Green Gables, and I thought the cover looked cute. That was all. I had no idea.

     I don't read many memoirs. I'm a fiction snob, all the way. I'm not saying I don't care about your life, just...I don't need to read about it. Give me a western or romance or something.

     Needless to say at this point, that was NOT the case with this book! I really liked this book. I think I even loved it. It's a memoir, telling a lot about the author's growing up and adult life and her experiences with being adopted, then adopting a little girl of her own, which on the surface didn't sound extremely interesting to me, but surprisingly it was. Maybe because this lady's personality is so much fun. Maybe because she's so relate-able. Maybe because her writing is GOLD. I loved the influences of the Anne stories flowing throughout, and the author's obvious enthusiasm for everything pertaining thereto. Her love for Anne's world is contagious and intoxicating, and her careful and delighted romp through the Anne stories gave a deeper insight to the life lessons found within that I'd never thought much of before.

     This book was like hot tea on a chilly autumn night for me. It was like a healing salve on my heart. It reached its fuzzy fingers into my soul and made me feel wonderfully at home within its pages. I LOVED the parts about Lorilee Craker's childhood friends (Clara sounds perfectly awesome); it made me think about all the wonderful friends I have in my own life, and how blessed I am to have them. I also particularly enjoyed Lorilee's reminisces of meeting and falling in love with her husband, Doyle (who sounds like a good old boy). Seriously, though -- the woman made everything funny. Even the super deep recounts of finding and getting in touch with her birth parents again were funny. She just has this innate sense of humor that shines through her writing. That was what I ultimately loved best about the book. I think this lady and I would get along real well. She's definitely a kindred spirit. :-)

     My rating: 9/10

I received this book for free from the publisher in exchange for my honest review 

     

10 comments:

  1. Am I Clara? :-P Need to read this one. As a HUGE Anne fan, duh. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Naomi, I think you definitely MUST read this one. :-) (In fact, I'm even seriously considering sending you my copy. I might do that.)

      No, you're not Clara. Clara's crazy. Not that you're not crazy...just a different kind of crazy. ;-D

      Delete
    2. I'd LOVE to recieve a copy - duhh - but it's not Christmas or anything. But I'd be extremely honoured to be bestowed with such a gift nevertheless. :-)

      Oh yes. I'm the decent kind of crazy. :-)

      ~ Naomi

      Delete
    3. It doesn't have to be Christmas for me to send you something special. DUH. ;-D

      Delete
  2. Ah, you beat me to it! I'm about to post my own review of this, haha:D

    Isn't it just a great book? "I don't read many memoirs. I'm a fiction snob, all the way." I feel ya there, sister. I've never really been able to warm to most biographies, unless they're slightly fictionalized, haha.

    Seriously. It's such a good book. Wonderful review! I'm gonna reference it in mine, heehee:D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heehee. :-D Thanks, Olivia! I'm off right now to read your review....

      Delete
  3. This sounds really fun! I've gotten into bios and memoirs a lot more in the last few years. Broadening my horizons and all that. I think you just have to find the right one, you know?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It IS really fun! Yeah, I suppose my own horizons are very narrow...I should think about broadening them more often. ;-P I have read some good nonfiction books, but fiction will always be my first love.

      Delete
  4. This sounds great! Putting it on my TBR list. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love it if you'd drop me a line or two! I always enjoy receiving comments from readers and friends. I ask that you please keep your comments clean and God-honoring, and please don't write anything you wouldn't want your grandmother to read. Also, if you are commenting under anonymous, please do leave your name (or some sort of moniker so that you aren't totally nameless). Thank you so much and have a lovely day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...