Thursday, September 24, 2015

5 Male Characters Tag



     Alright.....so I actually wasn't tagged with this one. But I saw it, the wheels in my head began turning, and I wanted to do it myself. So here I am. :-)


1.) List 5 of you favorite male characters (book or screen)

2.) Tagging other people is optional

3.) If you are tagged link back to the person that tagged you

4.) Link back to Revealed in Time


Choose one from each category:

1.) Hero

2.) Villain

3.) Anti-hero

4.) Best book-to-screen adaption

5.) Best character perception 


     Hero
William Wilberforce in Amazing Grace


     "That winter, we should have won. With the evidence we'd collected, by natural justice we should have won."

     *long dramatic sigh* Where to begin with this man? What to even say? He's amazing. He literally gave his all for a cause he wholeheartedly believed in, and that's one of the things I admire most in any character. He worked tirelessly to abolish the slave trade, and then he was humble when he succeeded. He was an ordinary man who said yes to the call of his extraordinary God, and he let his whole life be turned upside down for that greater good. (Plus....he's played by my favorite actor. Which may or may not have anything to do with why I love him so much. :-D) Seriously, though, Ioan Gruffudd hit the nail on the head with William Wilberforce. This has got to be one of the most inspirational movies ever made, and it'll always be among my favorites.

Villain
Elkanah Bent in North and South


"I love to have fun."


     EW EW EW EWWWWWWWWW.

     There are some villains I like because I understand them, or I feel sorry for them. Some of them I'm even fond of. Then there are the ones I can't stand, don't even want to think about, because they're just so horrible. Beyond both those categories, there are the scant few who are just so hilariously awful I don't know whether to laugh at them, shout at them, or just turn away so I don't even have to look at them. Elkanah Bent is such a one. I can't STAND him, and yet, he's so much fun! He's bossy and ridiculously conceited. He's a bully, a swindler, a womanizer, a child-kidnapper, and a psychotic murderer. The guy is horrible, and he CRACKS ME UP. "I have extraordinary leadership abilities!" "You are killing Bonaparte!" "Don't you ever laugh at me. I will kill you if you laugh at me." Bent leaves you no choice but to laugh.
     Short story? I hate Bent. Would North and South be half as entertaining without him? Absolutely not.

Antihero
Eugene Wrayburn in Our Mutual Friend


Jennie Wren: "If you're good, you can come in."
Eugene Wrayburn: "I am not good, but I will come in."


     Is Eugene an anti-hero? I think so. You could say he's also the hero of the story, but he's definitely not your average shining white knight. He's got some issues. He stalks a guy all over London every night, for goodness' sake. Eugene is selfish, lazy, and lacks motivation...until Lizzy. Lizzy is what saves him from himself. She gives him something to care about, and consequently causes him to realize how much he has to give of himself. I love characters like that, and if they're played by Paul McGann, well....you've sold me.


Best book-to-screen adaptation
Matt Damon as Mr. LaBeouf (who doesn't have a first name) in True Grit


Laboeuf: "Yes, that is the way. Make me out foolish in this girl's eyes."
Rooster: "I think she has got you pretty well figured."

     Usually whenever I talk about True Grit -- which I do a lot -- I talk about Mattie Ross and Rooster more than I do LaBeouf. But that's not because LaBeouf isn't awesome too. Mr. Labeouf is the epitome of awesome. He's cocky, macho-man, how-you-like-me-now awesome. And beneath his cockiness he's devoted to his duty as a Texas Ranger. He'll do what he has to in order to get the job done. He can shoot a man off a horse at 500 yards. He'll even pull you out of a snake pit, if he's not too beat up. And Matt Damon covers every inch of the Labeouf of the novel, in my opinion. 

     (Note: In my review of this movie, which was written several years ago, I mentioned that I didn't think Matt Damon is handsome. Apparently I was a delusional child. I have since woken up.) ;-D


Best character perception
Robert Urich as Jake Spoon in Lonesome Dove


"I didn't see no line, Gus. I was just tryin' to get across the territory without bein' scalped."

      You all knew I couldn't get through this post without sticking in someone from Lonesome Dove. ;-P I really could have picked any of the characters to fit this description, but I chose Jake. Why? Because Jake is, regardless of his superficial facade, a deep character. The fact that he's so shallow is what makes him so complex. (Haha, yeah, right. What sense does THAT make?) No, really -- Jake may be "too leaky a vessel for anyone to put much hope in", but he's got his own real troubles and his own hopes. In his heart -- flawed though it is -- he doesn't want any trouble. He doesn't try to hurt people; he just lets it happen. He just wants to get through the territory without getting scalped. Robert Urich brilliantly portrayed him as the easy-going but easily dissuaded wanderer he was.

 
     Alright, I've had my fun! You can all go back to whatever you were doing now. :-)

27 comments:

  1. Yaysies! I'm happy you did it:D

    Wilby! Yes! That movie, though…*sigh* The feels. "He was an ordinary man who said yes to the call of his extraordinary God." That's perfect! It totally sums him up.

    Haha. Bent;) I don't remember much about N&S, but I do remember we all freaked out about Bent…but at the same time, yes, he was a little bit amusing :P There was another villain in there…I think his name was Justin?…that we COULD NOT STAND. *shudders in horror*

    LaBoeuf! You're right, he is awesome:D

    Yeah, now that you mention it, Jake is a deep character. I think I do recall feeling a bit sorry for him, and wanting to see a little more from him.

    Great answers! They were great fun to read:D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I had a hard time trying to think of what to say about Wilbur! He's just...so amazing. I did my best. :-)

      Yes, Bent is freak-out-worthy. He's disgusting. My sisters and I made so much fun of him. ;-P And ohhhh, JUSTIN! DO NOT MENTION THE NAME!! Oh my goodness, he's TERRIBLE. It was kinda funny, though, because we know that actor (David Carradine) from a lot of other movies, including the old tv show Kung Fu which my dad's always liked, so when David Carradine was so awful in N&S Daddy said, "I'm ashamed to know him." ;-D Yeah, Justin's horrible. Bent is much more fun. *snicker*

      I don't really like Jake that much, but I FEEEL for him. If that makes any sense. ;-P His death scene gets me every time. "So long, boys." *sobs quietly*

      Thanks! :-)

      Delete
    2. Yup, that was the one, then. I distinctly remember him because prior to watching it I'd quite liked the name Justin, and then...that happened:-P

      Delete
    3. I don't think I will ever like the name Justin again!

      Delete
  2. William Wilberforce!! Amazing Grace! What a coincidence. My sister just watched this and told me how EPIC and AWESOME it was. She's told me so much about William Wilberforce I just Can Not Wait to watch it myself - and she's promised to show it to me soon, so I am happy :D

    But you like him too? That's awesome . . . I have just GOT to see that movie. Good reports on all sides, and all that sort of thing.

    I've actually never seen any of the other movies, so I can't comment :(

    P.S. I don't think I ever got to tell you how much I love your header, as I've been Very Busy. So, YES I LIKE IT SO MUCH. It just makes me sigh with delight at the perfection of it all :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rosie, YES! Watch Amazing Grace! It's phenomenal. You will love it. :-)
      And awwww, thank you! I'm glad it makes you sigh with delight!

      Delete
  3. This was a fun read, Emma! I'm glad you decided to do it, despite not being tagged for it. I wholeheartedly agree with you on your opinion of William Wilberforce! You're right, where DO you begin with him? He is one of the greatest movie heroes ever...in my humble opinion! And yes, Amazing Grace is SO inspirational! The best! :)

    Is that the North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell, or is there more than one movie bearing that title? I never heard of Elkanah Bent before, but he does sound pretty awful. :/

    What does Anti-hero mean, exactly? Is it referring to someone who is against the hero...or someone who is himself un-hero-like? Or is it referring to something entirely different? I'm confused. :/

    Ah! Eugene Wrayburn! I always liked him, too. He definitely has some issues, but he's so funny you can't help but like him! And, if I recall, he does get his act together by the end of the story. (I've never seen the movie, yet, but I'd really like to.)

    I'm afraid I haven't seen very many westerns, so I can't comment very intelligently on your last two characters, but you're descriptions of them are good. Jake Spoon sounds like an interesting character. "The fact that he's so shallow is what makes him so complex." Haha! I believe that! It's funny how that works! :)

    Good post, Emma! I was waiting for someone to post something today! :)

    ~Miss March

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Miss March, I'm glad we agree. William Wilberforce is the best. :-)

      No, it's a different North and South -- this one is a Civil War miniseries made in the 80's, based on the trilogy by John Jakes. It's completely separate, but it gets confused with the Elizabeth Gaskell one a lot. ;-P It's very soap-opera-ish, but there are so many good things about the show too. I personally love it to death. :-)

      You know, I was confused about that too. What DOES anti-hero mean? I still don't really know, but I took it to mean an atypical hero. Yes, Eugene gets his act together by the end. Oh, you've got to watch the miniseries! He's wonderful. :-)

      Thank you!

      Delete
  4. WILLIAM WILBURFORCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AMAZING GRACE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Another person who loves that movie!!!!!! I can go around quoting that movie for HOURS!!! It drives Mom crazy!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES!!! *high-fives* I love to quote it too! :-)

      Delete
  5. Good thoughts on Eugene Wrayburn! I just read the book last year and finally got around to watching the movie/mini-series/whatever this year. He is a very complex character and I know I spent the whole book trying to decide in my mind if I thought he was good or bad. Antihero is the perfect word though. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Eugene IS a complex character. I haven't read the book, but I've seen the series twice and I love it. :-) I have a thing for cynical characters like that, and besides I can't help liking Paul McGann with a mustache!

      Delete
  6. ". . . William Wilberforce will go home to his family, lay his head down on his pillow, and remember: The slave trade is no more."

    *swallows hard*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jessica, THAT IS THE BEST PART. And then he stands up and nods, with tears filling his eyes....Ohhhhh!!!!!

      Delete
    2. YES. It's just absolutely wonderful--I almost wanted to cry when I saw it. (I know that sounds quite weak but it's actually high praise because books and movies basically NEVER make me cry.)

      Delete
  7. Ooohhh Bant in North and South. MAN that guy was SO horrible. Oh my gosh. Definition of Dastardly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Someone else who understands! *high-fives* ;-D Yeah, John Jakes really laid it on thick with the villains. What with Bent, Justin, and Ashton, that series is just chock-full of dastardly!

      Delete
  8. Yay, I was waiting for this. ;-D
    AH....Ioan Gruffudd (by the way, how DO you say his name? It's a nightmare for pronouncing!) as William Wilberforce is perfect! He's a pretty swell actor, I agree. ;-) (Although he wouldn't be my favourite actor. But I still like him.) Yes, as you said, he worked tirelessly to abolish the slave trade, but he was humble when he succeeded. Few men can boast of that. :-) He was a very strong man indeed. (Plus, Romola, excuse me, Barbara (ugh, what a name! It's like a female version of 'barber') and him were SO CUTE. :-P)
    I haven't seen North and South. Well, not THAT North and South, anyway. ;-) It's kind of fun hating a character. I know a lot of villains who are hilarious. Odd, that. :-P
    AH....Eugene Wrayburn my beloved Eugene Wrayburn!! He was one of my favourite characters - in the book, yes, in the movie especially yes. (The whole time I was squealing "look it's William Bush! Hmm...he looks better in navy" Not to say he didn't look good in Our Mutual Friend.... ;-P But Bush just 'appens to be among my top 3 favourite characters from Horatio Hornblower, I reckon. :-D) He's got some annoying problems but I can forgive him about that. He's a gentleman....most of the time. ;-)
    Haha, first off, your note amused me greatly. ;-D I am SO glad you have changed your mind, I was getting worried for a bit there! I like LaBoeuf greatly, and I find him certainly more amiable than Rooster, but I think the man reason I like him is 'cause, y'know, Matt Damon. :-P That started when I first saw the Bourne series....
    I was waiting for it the entire time....when's the Lonesome Dove character coming?? ;-P I can't really comment as I've not seen it. So yeah. But, I WILL say, that he's a pretty dandy lookin' cowboy. ;-D
    ~Miss Meg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Miss Meg, your comment made me smile. :-)

      Oh, believe me, my sister and I had a beastly time trying to figure out how to pronounce his name for years! It wasn't until I heard someone say it on an interview that I finally learned the right way -- it's YO-an Griffifth. Yup. Not so hard!

      Eugeeeeeene!!!! Well, yes, he DOES look better in the navy. (Who doesn't?!) Bush is also one of my favorite characters as well. He's so...suave. :-)

      Haha. I don't know why I didn't used to think Matt Damon was a looker. I was a foolish child. I think it was Ocean's Eleven when I finally started to think, "Wow....he's....yeah." ;-P

      That's exactly what Jake is -- a dandy. He's a fancy man. But he's about as dependable as snow in July. ;-D

      Delete
  9. I'm working on this tag myself :-) So thought-provoking! I love Ioan Gruffudd's portrayal of WW too -- such a splendid movie. And Elkanah Bent -- how I love to loathe him! Ugh and ew and ick.

    As for Matt Damon as LaBeouf... he's so perfect. And I'm glad you've grown out of your delusion about his looks, because I find him quite handsome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hamlette, I'm looking forward to reading your tag answers! I had fun with it myself. :-) I know, Bent is so fun to hate! He's utterly revolting. We quote him far too much around this house. "You forget that you are talking to a military genius."

      Like I said, I'm not sure what was wrong with me. Matt Damon has definitely improved with acquaintance. After Geronimo, The Good Old Boys, Ocean's Eleven, and True Grit for the third time, I mended my ways. :-)

      Delete
  10. Neat tag! Emma, do you mind if I do this tag? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Faith -- I claim no ownership! I pinched this tag myself, so go ahead. :-D

      Delete
  11. Oh yes, totally agree with Eugene! I already loved him in the adaptation, then I read/listened to the book and there his character was even more amazing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EUGENE!!!! Ohhh! *tries to still fluttering heart* What is that quote of his? "What other men mean when they say it, I cannot tell..." I really should read the book someday!

      Delete
    2. I looked it up, it's a great quote, I loved the last part: 'But if you would return a favourable answer to my offer of myself in marringe, you could draw me to any good''every good''with equal force.'

      Delete

I'd love it if you'd drop me a line or two! I always enjoy receiving comments from readers and friends. I ask that you please keep your comments clean and God-honoring, and please don't write anything you wouldn't want your grandmother to read. Also, if you are commenting under anonymous, please do leave your name (or some sort of moniker so that you aren't totally nameless). Thank you so much and have a lovely day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...