Wednesday, July 29, 2015

"My heroes have always been Cowboys..." {& Cowboy Tournament}


   Cowboy heroes. They come in all different shapes and sizes, but they all share many of the same core fundamentals: dignity, honor, loyalty, steadiness. They ride horses, they herd cattle, they wear big hats and boots with spurs, they respect the land and its people. And boy, do we love to watch them. :-)


     Here are some of my own favorite cowboy heroes from the silver screen:



~ Jim Craig (Tom Burlinson) in The Man From Snowy River

     Jim Craig is an adorable baby-faced darling. He's got a very youthful side to him, yet he knows how to be a man; as Clancy says in the movie, "He's not a lad. He's a man. The man from Snowy River." (at which point I may or may not always squeal like a silly teenaged girl, *ahem*) Jim Craig possesses the quality that I think most draws me to a character: he'll do what's right because he knows it's right. And because that's the Cowboy Way. :-)



~ Frank T. Hopkins (Viggo Mortensen) in Hidalgo

     Oh, my. Frank Hopkins, as I have mentioned before, is charged with starting my obsession with cowboys in the first place. If you take a look at him, you'll probably understand. :-) Frank's tough and doesn't wear his heart on his sleeve, but his true self is caring and honorable. Plus it's so much fun just to listen to him talk. "Sounds an awful lot like South Dakota."



~ Matthew Cooper (Chad Allen) in Dr. Quinn: Medicine Woman


     Hey, Matthew is totally a cowboy! He herds cattle, doesn't he? ;-) Matthew's one of those characters you just really feel for. I feel somewhat responsible for him, I desperately want him to be happy, and I feel like I need to take care of him and make sure he doesn't do anything really stupid (because he will, he's done it so many times before.) But you know what? While Matthew does a lot of impulsive, stupid things, he always learns from his mistakes and experiences and it only makes him stronger. And you've gotta love that awkward smile he has, where his mouth slants halfway up his face.



~ Tom Harte (Thomas Haden Church) in Broken Trail

     AAAHHHH. Ahem. Calm down, Emma. This fellow is one who tends to bring out the Extreme Fangirl side of me. (Which is partly thanks to a certain lady who shares my love of this extraordinary movie.) Tom Harte is one tough guy. As I said in my review of Broken Trail, it took me a long time to warm up to Tom, but when you see through his rough exterior you find that he's really got a heart of gold. Tom Harte is my idea of the Ultimate Cowboy -- he's respectful, responsible, and above all, he's steadfast.



~ Dish Boggett (D.B. Sweeney) in Lonesome Dove

     I've always had a soft spot in my heart for Dish. :-) Dish is a rather pitiful character; he's hopelessly in love with Lorena, who doesn't even care that he exists. In many ways, he's just a lovesick kid. There's something very endearing about his awkward, sometimes pathetic but well-meaning personality. He really loves Lorie, and that's what melts my heart. All I want for Dish is for Lorie to love him the way he loves her. (I just pretend Streets of Laredo didn't happen. Which is easy to do, since I've neither read nor watched it.)


     Just loooook..... *happy sigh*


~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~


So, how about you? Who are your favorite Cowboy Heroes from film and TV? Because I had a brilliant idea...
Wouldn't it be fun to have a Cowboy Hero tournament? Where we could all nominate our favorite cowboys and then vote on the winner at the end of the week? I think it would. So if you want to join, here's how this is going to go:

  • basically all you have to do is comment here, 'nominating' your favorite (or one of your favorite) cowboy heroes from a Western movie, TV show, ect. Once everyone has nominated their cowboy darlings, I'll put up a poll on the sidebar of the blog, and on Saturday we'll see who has received the most votes and will be proclaimed the Winner.
Now, does that make sense to everybody? Good. :-) I'm excited to see who y'all nominate!

Because the Earp brothers are awesome
(And you don't have to worry about nominating the same cowboy as someone else -- it'll just mean more points for said cowboy. Gee, you think I've said cowboy enough times yet?)

21 comments:

  1. Hello, my name is Emma Jane Anderson and I'm nominating Frank Hopkins because that's just the way I am.

    ReplyDelete
  2. *squeals like the stereotype-fulfilling teenage fangirl that she is*

    FRANK YES. Hahaha, yep, he has some of the most awesome lines: "Why did ya, then?"

    Matthew! I'd nearly forgotten him, shame be upon me. "I feel like I need to take care of him and make sure he doesn't do anything really stupid (because he will, he's done it so many times before)"--that made me laugh:D 'T'is so true!!! Oh my goodness...I cried when Ingrid died *sniffles* And then I was so happy when he found happiness with Emma, and then when she was best up and he was freaking out that she was going to die...the poor young lad. He is our baby, Emma. We will take care of him;D

    TOM. Oh my word, Tom. Heehee, I definitely do share your love of it;D I actually just posted my spiel on why I love him so much...the fangirl feels were unleashed!

    That picture of Dish and Lorie is sooooo precious and warmly-fuzzy and golden:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "I didn't ride eleven hundred miles to finish second place!" :-D

      Matthew IS our baby. :-) It was sooooooo sad when Ingrid died. And I really have a thing for broody, sad characters, so that made me feel for Matthew even more. I know! I really liked Emma, so I was disappointed when she left. :-(

      I can't wait to read your spiel!!!

      Delete
  3. Howdy! My name's Olivia and I nominate Tom Harte. 'T'is a hard choice, between all the awesome people, but...Tom is just my favorite ever, so...yeah:D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha. How did I know you was gonna nominate him? :-D

      Delete
  4. Hey, so my name is NOT really Jessica Prescott but I call myself that anyways, after one of the most brilliant female characters of all time (Jessica Dryden Prescott from "A Distant Trumpet") . . . and I want to nominate Tom Smith from "Seabiscuit." Because I know he's technically a "former" cowboy, but I just think he's really cooooooolll.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jessica, you know, I've been wanting to see Seabiscuit! Thanks for the nomination! :-)

      Delete
    2. No problem! Yeah, it's an incredible, awesome movie, definitely go see it--but I'd recommend checking out the Plugged-In Media review first because there IS one scene that, y'know, you might want to skip :)

      Delete
  5. I'd like to nominate Britt from The Magnificent Seven. 'Cause he's played by my absolute favorite actor EVER and he's super awesome. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, would that be Steve McQueen? ;-P

      Delete
    2. Nope. It's James Coburn. Steve McQueen plays Vin. :)

      Delete
  6. My name is Jesseca (real name ;) ) And, I'm going to nominate someone from "The Big Valley" TV show. ;)
    I love both Heath and his brother, Nick. . .they're both so awesome! :D Augh! How can I chose??? Okay, I'l nominate Heath Barkley from "The Big Valley"! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jesseca, I haven't seen much of The Big Valley (like, hardly any) but I've heard great things about Heath! Thanks for the nomination! :-)

      Delete
  7. My name is Deborah and I nominate Paladin, from the "Have Gun Will Travel" television show. He's my favorite cowboy ever. Self-assured, honest, funny, courageous, protects anyone who needs his help, fast on the draw, all about justice, good in any dangerous (or undangerous) situation.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I nominate Lucas McCain from "The Rifleman" TV series. I grew up watching that show and always loved his relationship with his son Mark. And his friendship with Micah Torrence, the town marshal, is great too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm not sure what to say. I love Jim, he's so boyish and young and free. I was considering nominating Vin off Magnificent Seven but then I decided no, there is someone better. And that someone, is one I would deem to be *my* kind of cowboy. How every cowboy should be: honest, respectable, great horse rider (*cough* just had to put that in, haha), quick-witted, a good sense of humour and loads of determination. I think this quote of his sums himself up:
    "Look mister, you can say whatever you want about me, but I'll have to ask you not to talk about my horse that way." Yes, I'm seconding your nomination, Emma. Frank Hopkins for the win. ;-)
    ~Miss Meg March

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Miss Meg, AAHHHH, that's my favorite line!!!! Yes, I agree 100 percent. :-D

      Delete
  10. I love Jim Craig!!!! He is SOOOO cool!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jim Craig and Matthew Cooper -- I have loved them for so so so so so sososososososo long! Jim since I was 3, Matthew since I was maybe 15 or 16. I realized the last time I watched The Man from Snowy River just how much of my childhood I spent trying to be Just Like Jim.

    As for Matthew, one of my friends during high school asked me why I liked him because she insisted he wasn't "hot." I explained that I like him because he needs me to like him, which made no sense to her, but... it does to me :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, it makes a whole lot of sense to me too! :-)

      Delete

I'd love it if you'd drop me a line or two! I always enjoy receiving comments from readers and friends. I ask that you please keep your comments clean and God-honoring, and please don't write anything you wouldn't want your grandmother to read. Also, if you are commenting under anonymous, please do leave your name (or some sort of moniker so that you aren't totally nameless). Thank you so much and have a lovely day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...