Saturday, July 4, 2015

Liebster Award (and Happy Independence Day!)


       
     Happy Independence Day, folks! :-)

     My good friend Hamlette has nominated me for the Liebster blog award, and her questions looked like such fun I couldn't resist filling it out. Thank you, Hamlette!

Here are the rules:
 a) Answer the eleven questions of the tagger.
 b) Share eleven facts about yourself
 c) Nominate up to eleven other bloggers
 d) Ask those nominees 11 new questions
   

1.  Do you have a favorite mug or teacup?

     Yes! I don't use it a lot, but I love my cat mug that I got for Christmas several years ago.


     It says 'An ordinary cat can make life extraordinary'. :-)

Oliver posing with his mug
Oliver being antisocial.

   
2.  Are you an adventurous eater?  (Do you try "strange" foods?)

     Haha. Absolutely NOT. I'm actually, uh, a rather fussy eater. That is, I have extremely simple tastes. ;-) Also, I have several food allergies, so that makes for limited choices. Short answer: no, I don't try strange foods.


3.  What fandoms are you into?


     My Pinterest boards would suggest Les Miserables and Downton Abbey. Most of my favorite books and movies/TV shows aren't very popular, so I'm not really part of many fandoms. I am infamous for creating numerous fanclubs, though. Among them are The Somewhere in Time Fanclub, The Dr. Quinn Fanclub, The Bruce Boxleitner Fanclub (this one's sort of a joke), The John Schneider Fanclub, and the Robert Duvall Fanclub. If you're wondering what all these silly fanclubs mean, the answer is nothing. I'm just silly.



   
4.  What famous author/book do you not really care for?

     Nicholas Sparks, to name one. His stories are just too sappy for me. (But I do still want to see The Longest Ride because...well...Scott Eastwood. ;-P) There are actually a lot of famous authors I don't care for. I tend to shy away from anything that's super popular. You're labeling me a wet blanket, I see. That's okay with me.


5.  What obscure author/book are you nuts about?

     ELSWYTH THANE. I LOVE her Williamsburg series with a passion that might scare you. It scares me, a little bit.


6.  What's the oldest movie you've ever watched?

     Probably some Shirley Temple movie that I can't put my finger on -- I don't know how old they are, but my sisters and I used to watch them all the time at my grandma's house. The oldest movie I can pinpoint is In Old Chicago, from 1937.


     It's about the O'Leary family in Chicago in the 1870's and the Great Chicago Fire. It's kind of a weird. Although Tyrone Power was gorgeous in those days. And the soot from the fire when the city burned really did wonders for his hair.
   

7.  What did you have for breakfast today?

     Flapjacks! Sadie makes the best flapjacks you ever had. :-) In the summer, whenever she makes flapjacks we play checkers at the table and listen to the Gods and Generals soundtrack. It's tradition.


8.  When did you first see your favorite movie?

     Well, my favorite movieS are the Horatio Hornblower series, but when people ask me what my favorite movie is, I usually don't say that because then I have to explain that it's a whole series, and no, I cannot pick just ONE favorite out of the bunch. They all go together. It's a package deal. See what I mean? That's a long answer. Most people just don't care. ;-P

     SO I have two favorite movies. The Journey of August King and The Stars Fell on Henrietta. Both pretty obscure films (both made in 1995, coincidentally), and both pretty unusual. I first saw The Stars Fell on Henrietta in February of this year, and The Journey of August King in May. (This year has been epic so far for good movies.) :-)



9.  Do you prefer fantasy or sci-fi?

     Eww. Um, no thank you to either. If I had to pick, then fantasy. I did love Gail Carson Levine's books when I was a youngster.


10.  What did you expect your blog to be like when you started it?

     I wanted it to be just like all the other period drama-themed blogs I read, with oodles of pretty pictures from all my favorite bonnet movies, clever reviews, and random posts about me that of course everyone would be interested in reading. ;-P I was very influenced by a lot of other bloggers I followed, which was a good thing in many ways, but I also tried a little too hard to be more like them and lost some of me in the process. Of course, I was fourteen, so I had a lot to learn.


11.  Has it changed?  If so, how?

     Yup, it's changed. I've changed, really. :-) In some ways, that is; in some ways it hasn't changed at all. I don't write as much about British period dramas as I used to, and more about westerns. I share more about my writing, because I'm writing more seriously now than I was several years ago. I'm also a lot more comfortable with my own writing, and I post about a wider variety of things than I used to. I've learned soooo many valuable lessons in the two-and-a-half years I've been blogging; about creativity, about writing, and about being myself. It's been awesome. :-)


   
     And now for eleven facts about me....


     #1 I have read Lonesome Dove. I just want you all to know that so you can pay me proper homage.


     #2 I didn't used to like Kevin Costner, but now he's my fifth favorite actor. I still like to make fun of him. I make fun of people I like.


     #3 I named my favorite pen Vivian Lacy after a character in the book Celia Garth.

     #4 I do my best writing with pen and paper, sitting on the hay wagon in our big yellow barn.

     #5 I love hanging laundry out on the clothesline. It's my favorite chore.

     #6 I have a talent for picking out really weird (but good) movies that no one's ever heard of from the VHS section at the library.

     #7 I have a strange love affair with old hatboxes.

     #8 I'm not the best at saving money. I have a compulsive movie soundtrack-buying problem.

     #9 I don't really like having company at my house. :-/

     #10 If there's one thing that makes me uncomfortable, it's having to call people on the phone.

     #11 I laugh a lot. If you say something I think is really funny, I will laugh until there are tears rolling down my face. I can't help it. It's kind of embarrassing in public; people seem to think I'm pretty weird.
   
And this too. I have a strange sense of humor.

     This is the part where I'm supposed to tag eleven people....but it looks like most of my blogging friends have already been tagged, so I'm going to opt not to. (Yes, I'm breaking the rules, shhh.) If you really want to answer these questions, then consider yourself tagged!


     I hope y'all have a great Independence Day! :-)

21 comments:

  1. I really hate having to call people on the phone--even if it's somebody I know well, it's still kind of hard. Don't exactly know why that is.

    I know what you mean about the "weird but good movies nobody's ever heard of." Whenever people ask me what MY favorite movie is, I say, "Bernadette"--and nobody ever knows what I'm talking about. It's a very obscure French film from 1988, but I seriously think it's one of the best things I've ever seen. Just . . . beautiful. Highly recommended.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jessica, me too! The only people I feel comfortable talking to on the phone are my immediate family. I'm terrified of calling people. ;-P

      Sometimes the obscure weirdie movies are the best. :-)

      Delete
    2. How right you are, Jeeves :)

      (Hope you don't mind being called Jeeves--I just insert his name into random conversations whenever I can because I love the books and TV show so much)

      Delete
    3. I don't mind being called Jeeves -- though I'm a lot more like Bertie. ;-)

      Delete
  2. Lovely post, Emma. I really enjoyed reading your answers! :)
    I'm with you on facts #4 & #11!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Faith, you write on a hay wagon too?! I'm delighted. We should form some kind of club.

      Delete
    2. Well, not EXACTLY on a hay wagon. :) but I do write best in odd places. In a tree, in the woods, in the tree-hut, on the porch. In my dad's shop rafters would be a good place...(don't tell mom!) =)

      Delete
  3. Fun tag! Love Downton Abbey and must confess to liking Nicholas Sparks. Yes, his stories are sappy, but sometimes that's just what I need. :D

    Happy Independence Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Independence Day to you, Rissi! :-)

      Well....there are a few things I like about Nicholas Sparks' books. I don't hate him, his stories just don't do much for me.

      Delete
  4. Cats, Les Mis and Downton? *applause*
    Some of my faves, too. I need to rewatch Les Mis again; only problem is no one in my family will watch it with me or tolerate me watching it because of all the singing!
    Hope ya'll had a great 4th of July, Emma. :)
    www.justasiam-meghan.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Yes, Les Mis certainly is a big commitment. ;-) I hope you had a great 4th too, Meghan!

      Delete
  5. I also shy away from super-popular authors. Which makes me feel snobby, but it's true.

    Mmmm, Tyrone Power <3

    Weird, unknown movies for the win!!! Love 'em.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I often feel snobby....probably because I am, somewhat. ;-P

      Tyrone Power is beautiful. ;-) Though I didn't care for him at all as Jesse James in the old movie -- he's much too pretty-boy to play an outlaw. James Keach will always be Jesse James to me.

      Delete
    2. I haven't seen his turn as Jesse, I must confess. HOWEVER! I have FINALLY seen "The Long Riders"! And while I didn't love it, I did appreciate the Keach boys' performances. I've been a fan of Stacy Keach since I was a little kid and first saw "The Blue and the Gray," and he was definitely the highlight of the movie for me. I've only seen him in a handful of things, but he's such a thoughtful actor. He has such presence, doesn't he? I also liked the historical details, like the pale dusters they all wore. Oh, and random other connects-me-to-the-James-Gang fact: I went to college about an hour from Northfield, MN, and knew people who'd grown up there. I don't think I actually passed through it ever, though I did go past it on the interstate.

      Delete
  6. How fun! I like your Williamsburg picture at the top. :)
    Number 4 made me laugh; so true!
    Number 5: YES! How have I not read books 2 and 3 yet from that series? (actually, probably because I can't find them at my library :P) These books need more publicity; I bet you could write a really neat book review on those!
    Number 4 (2nd list): That sounds absolutely divine! And a yellow barn! *happy sigh*
    -Abby

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Abby, actually I have written reviews of the first three Williamsburg books! They're here, on my book blog: http://downinthevalleybookblog.blogspot.com/search/label/Elswyth%20Thane
      I agree, they do need more publicity! But then again, if they were more popular I might never have been so interested in reading them. This way, it feels like they're *my* books. :-) But of course, I'll never stop recommending them!

      Ha, it is divine. :-) Yes, our barn is bright yellow. Has been for years. It's kind of iconic.

      Delete
  7. I very much enjoyed reading your answers, Emma! And your passionate reviews of Elswyth Thane's "Williamsburg" series has put on my list of books to locate and read.

    Phones. *shudders visibly* I know how you feel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Three cheers for the Williamsburg books! :-)

      Ugh. I hate phones. Good to hear I'm not the only one!

      Delete
  8. First of all, I duly pay you the proper homage;)

    (I totally forgot to share my eleven facts…oops…)

    I'm in the Robert Duvall fanclub with you!:D And the Dr. Quinn one, too, but slightly more the Robert Duvall;)

    That's an awesome flapjack tradition!

    I know what you mean about trying too hard to be like other bloggers; I struggle with that myself, sometimes.

    Yay for the Liebster Award!:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Olivia -- oh, thanks. It was a huge achievement for me. I can now say I have read LD. *satisfied sigh*

      I know! I love our flapjack tradition. :-)

      Delete

I'd love it if you'd drop me a line or two! I always enjoy receiving comments from readers and friends. I ask that you please keep your comments clean and God-honoring, and please don't write anything you wouldn't want your grandmother to read. Also, if you are commenting under anonymous, please do leave your name (or some sort of moniker so that you aren't totally nameless). Thank you so much and have a lovely day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...