Monday, July 6, 2015

Five Brides // Review


by
Eva Marie Everson

     One dress, five women, a lifetime of memories.
     Five single, fiercely independent women live together in a Chicago apartment in the early 1950s but rarely see one another. One Saturday afternoon, as they are serendipitously together downtown, they spy a wedding dress in a storefront window at the famous Carson, Pirie, Scott & Co. After trying it on—much to the dismay of the salesclerk and without a single boyfriend or date between the five of them—they decide to pool their money to purchase it. Can one dress forever connect five women who live together only a short time before taking their own journeys to love and whatever comes happily ever after?

     This was one of those books that, while it was a well-written story, was just not for me. I'm not going to write a negative review, because there was absolutely nothing wrong with it. The characters were relatable, the dialogue was good, everything was GOOD -- it just didn't grab me. I enjoyed it alright, but it wasn't really my kind of book. With five main characters, it felt strained to get to know any of them very well, and I didn't really get into the 1950's period. (Plus it was about city life. City life to me = boring.)

     HOWEVER, I know some other people who'd enjoy it. I'm sure many readers will absolutely love it. Me personally, I'd rather spend my time reading books that are more my style.

     (I do love the cover, though. That cover is Gorgeous with a capital G.)

My rating: 6/10


I received this book for free from the publisher in exchange for my honest review.

8 comments:

  1. This book sounds SO good, plus I love the time period so I'm *hoping* to enjoy it when/if I read it. But I do have some reservations about the multiple character format. Depending on how it reads, it might wind up not being a book for me either. Thanks for sharing, Emma. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rissi, I think you might enjoy it! I did *like* it, but there are so many other books I'd rather be reading, I didn't stick it out.

      Delete
    2. Personally, Rissi, I hope you do read it and I hope you do like it. There is something magical about the 1950s ... women wearing gloves and hats and high heels every day. There's something about putting on nylons and sipping on coffee in downtown diners. And there is something about that generation of women who swung doors wide open for us but who also cherished being wives and mothers. Please let me know if you do read it and what you think.

      Eva Marie Everson
      Author
      Five Brides

      Delete
  2. I know what you mean--even books that are really good sometimes just don't "speak" to me and I have to put them down.

    If you like stories about country life you might possibly enjoy "Maria Chapdelaine"--it's a novel about some French-Canadians, originally written in French. I don't care for it because it just isn't my kind of thing, but I do think it's pretty good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Emma, Thank you for your review, even though you didn't like the book. Yes, I know ... everything was "good" but it wasn't your cup of tea. I totally get that. What I want to ask you about, however, is your banner at the top.

    Allow me tell you why.

    A Lantern in Her Hand by Bess Streeter Aldrich, was a favorite of mine when I was a young girl (I'm nearly 60 now...). I got a copy at the library, read it, took it back, but the story never left me. For years afterward, I talked about it. I couldn't remember the exact title or the author, but I'd tell folks that it was "Something like A Lamp At Her Feet or a Lantern on Her Path ..." Everyone shook their head ... no, they'd never heard of it. Then one day my husband and I were at an estate sale. I'm probably in my mid-30s at this point. I went straight to a table stacked with old books (I collect them, always have) ... and put my hand IMMEDIATELY on ... you guessed it! A 1928 edition of the book! Which means, it's a first edition. The poor thing was nearly falling apart, but I didn't care. I bought it for a whole 25 cents! I came home, re-read it (as good the last time as the first ...) and then put it on the shelf with my many other classic novels, most of which are 100 years old or more.

    Just wanted to share and to know about your love (if any) for this work.

    Eva Marie Everson
    Author
    Five Brides

    ReplyDelete
  4. Eva Marie Everson,
    Thank you so much for your comment! :-) And you're welcome -- like I said, I appreciated the book, but it just wasn't for me. I'm glad you understand!

    A Lantern In Her Hand has been one of my favorite books, as well, for a few years now! I read it first for school, and ended up being very surprised by how much I loved it. The story and the characters resonated with me so much. I love the line, "with a song on her lips and a lantern in her hand," and decided to name my blog after it.

    How cool that you found a first edition!! Old books are the best. :-)

    Thank you again! And I am interested in reading more of your books in the future...I've had my eye on 'This Fine Life' for a while. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Emma, have you read The Girl Called Ella Dessa? I think that would so be in your wheelhouse! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read it, no. I just looked it up, though, and it looks really interesting!

      Delete

I'd love it if you'd drop me a line or two! I always enjoy receiving comments from readers and friends. I ask that you please keep your comments clean and God-honoring, and please don't write anything you wouldn't want your grandmother to read. Also, if you are commenting under anonymous, please do leave your name (or some sort of moniker so that you aren't totally nameless). Thank you so much and have a lovely day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...