Thursday, June 4, 2015

The Midwife's Tale // Review


by
Delia Parr

  Martha Cade comes from a long line of midwives who have served the families of Trinity, Pennsylvania, for generations. A widow with two grown children, she's hopeful that her daughter will follow in her footsteps. But when Victoria runs off, Martha's world is shattered. 

Worse, a new doctor has arrived in town, threatening her job, and she can't remember a time when her faith was more tested. Still determined to do the work she knows God intended for her, Martha is unprepared for all that waits ahead. Whether it's trying to stop a town scandal, mending broken relationships, or feeling the first whispers of an unexpected romance, she faces every trial and every opportunity with hope and faith.


     I felt that this book was mostly fluff. It didn't seem to have a very grounded storyline, and while the set of characters were nice enough, no one really stuck with me. However, it had a sweet, cozy feel to it, and the writing was comfortable and easy to read. It was just a little too.....well, boring, to be honest.

    Martha Cade is a midwife, a widow, and a mother of two children; a son who lives far away and a daughter who's run off with a theater troupe. For some reason, I didn't like Martha very much. She was much older than your typical heroine, which was a nice change, but her personality was pretty dull. There was nothing singular about her.

     Most of the book traveled at a pretty slow pace, but then at the end I got the feeling the author was hurrying to get the book finished. Everything happened at once; suddenly all the answers were there, this person was a thief, the daughter was coming home, and we all might as well get married. I would have liked a little more closure -- I'm still worried about the thieving, boy-beating Reverend out on a raft in the middle of the Atlantic ocean -- but I must admit, I was just as eager to finish the book! 

     It was a nice, easy read, but it failed to touch me in any way, and I like a book that makes me feel. So while I'm sure other fans of Christian fiction will probably enjoy it, The Midwife's Tale didn't impress me.

My rating: 5/10

     I received this book for free from the publisher in exchange for my honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love it if you'd drop me a line or two! I always enjoy receiving comments from readers and friends. I ask that you please keep your comments clean and God-honoring, and please don't write anything you wouldn't want your grandmother to read. Also, if you are commenting under anonymous, please do leave your name (or some sort of moniker so that you aren't totally nameless). Thank you so much and have a lovely day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...