Sunday, June 21, 2015

One year ago today...



     ...I sat down on the bridge by the creek, took my pen and wrote the very first words of the first novel I'd ever write. That was the day the dream began.

     Well, not exactly. If we want to get technical, the idea sprouted on June 15th, when I scribbled a few words in my notebook about an 'Aunt Isabelle' who drove a stylish roadster and came to visit each year on Mama's birthday. I had no idea then where I'd go with it; those words ruminated there on the page until a few days afterward, when I penned the first few pages of what is now the largest-scale project I've ever written, my masterpiece, the best thing that's ever come out of me. One year ago.



     ...And one year later, it's still not finished. Three-hundred-and-fifteen pages later, it's still not finished. But it's coming, and deep-down, it's there. It's all there in my heart, and now all I need to do is breath the words onto paper; bring my soul's feelings into words that can be seen and understood; make my story reach its fullest extent. I'm trying not to get ahead of myself. It's coming, but it's not there yet.

     So I just wanted to commemorate this day, because it's very special to me. The day I really became a writer, you could say...even though I guess I always was one, all along.


P.S. It's also Father's Day! I love you, Daddy. :-) Thanks for being a hard worker, and watching westerns with me, and letting me name the animals after Lonesome Dove characters, and for making me laugh.

21 comments:

  1. Yay Emma!! :D
    Keep writing!
    I'm just starting out.. wowzers over 200 Pages?!?! I have 20 for my first chapter!
    Good luck!
    ~Evie

    ReplyDelete
  2. No! It's not ALREADY a year ago?!! It feels like yesterday! WOW! :-)

    Congratulations, darling!!! :-) 315 pages! WOW. :-) I take my hat off to you.

    ~ Naomi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It doesn't feel like a year ago! It feels like yesterday. I remember it perfectly. :-)

      Thanks, Naomi. Yup, that's the current count. (But knowing me, a lot of it will get swiped/changed!) The main thing is, after one whole year I'M STILL AT IT. That's really what I'm celebrating! :-)

      Delete
  3. This sounds wonderful, Emma! 315 pages is a lot of writing! Good job!

    The fact that you're still enthusiastic about your story after a year of working on it, is amazing. I get so stuck on my stories. At this point I only have random snippets in my head and I've never actually sat down and worked on writing out a complete novel. I really need to get more serious about it. :)

    Good luck on finishing your story!

    ~Miss March

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Miss March, thank you so much! I agree, it is amazing; especially for me, who has a history of not sticking with things I start. ;-P

      Delete
  4. 315pgs in a year?! That's amazing! It may not be quite wholly finished yet but um, wow! Be proud of those pages--they'll get There before you know it. Keep writing Emma!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meghan, thank you so much for your encouraging words. I AM proud of my 315 pages. :-) It seems like I have such a long way to go still, but I know it'll be worth it when I get There.

      Your comment just made my day! :-)

      Delete
  5. Wow! Congratulations, Emma! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations, Emma! Reaching that page count is tough but the feeling you get when you achieve it is incredible. I also salute you for sticking to it for a year! I always have trouble hopping too much between my various stories and feeling like I am barely getting anything done. It was a challenge for me to stick to my novel, that I finished this April, and not wander to a different project. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Hanne-col! I have such a hard time sometimes, sticking to one story and seeing it completed. Congratulations on finishing your novel! I hope I can experience that feeling one day in the near future. :-)

      Delete
  7. How awesome! Good for you for sticking with it, too. I know all too well how easy it is to get distracted by shiny new story ideas and never complete a WIP. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is a wonderful thing to celebrate, Emma! That is a a good sum of pages, and it sounds exciting! All the best, and keep up the writing! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a wonderful thing! Thank you so much for your encouraging words, Joy. :-)

      Delete
  9. Congratulations on getting so far!!! I know that takes a lot of perseverance. I just started my first novel about a month ago, and I have only 28 pages or so, so I REALLY hope I can eventually get up to 315 myself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jessica! Oh, sounds like you're still in the honeymoon stage; those first 30 pages or so of a new story are some of the most exciting to write, I think. :-) Good luck!

      Delete
    2. Thanks so much! Yeah, it's been lots of fun so far. I really hope I can finish the first draft before I go back to college this fall, but that may not be realistic. I'll get as much done as I can, though.

      Delete
  10. This is a really inspiring post! Thank you for sharing. :)
    I have twenty pages of my book after four months! Great job!
    -Sophia
    lantern-in-her-hand.blogspot.com
    (We have the same blog name!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sophia, thanks! And you're welcome. :-) That's exciting! I hope you keep working on it -- writing a novel is an amazing journey. :-)

      Delete

I'd love it if you'd drop me a line or two! I always enjoy receiving comments from readers and friends. I ask that you please keep your comments clean and God-honoring, and please don't write anything you wouldn't want your grandmother to read. Also, if you are commenting under anonymous, please do leave your name (or some sort of moniker so that you aren't totally nameless). Thank you so much and have a lovely day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...