Sunday, June 28, 2015

Leap Year (2010)


Anna: I'm going there to propose to my boyfriend.
Declan: That's the stupidest thing I ever heard!


     I can't remember when I've watched a romantic comedy and liked it so much. Actually, I can't remember when I've watched a romantic comedy at all. I don't think I ever have, come to think of it. Anyway, this isn't the kind of movie I watch a lot of. But this one held a certain appeal to me for several reasons. One of them being that I'd read good things about it on friends' blogs, another being that it takes place in Ireland, and the other reason being...Matthew Goode. I'm being honest. ;-)

     So I was on the lookout for Leap Year, searching every library around for it...and then finally, last week, when I wasn't even looking for it, I found it!!! Doesn't it give you such a thrill when you find something at a library that you've been looking for for SUCH a long time?! I love moments like that. :-)

   
     So, I went home giddy and delighted. I watched the movie. And I loved it!


     Pretty much from the start, Leap Year is an unusual story. A girl named Anna lives in Boston, has a glamorous job 'staging apartments' (whatever that means -- this is coming from the country girl who probably won't understand your job description unless you say you plant corn or write books), a steady boyfriend, and from the outside, looks like she has it made. But when she and her boyfriend celebrate their fourth anniversary and he still hasn't asked her to marry him, Anna decides to follow him to a medical conference in Dublin to propose to him on Leap Day, February 29th, according to an old Irish tradition. Simple as that, right?

    Knowing Amy Adams, probably not. ;-P Things start to get complicated when Anna's plane has to land early because of bad weather, and she ends up on the wrong side of Ireland, in a tiny little two-bit village where the only public venue is a run-down, hole-in-the-wall bar. Enter Matthew Goode as Declan O'Callaghan.


     Declan thinks Anna's plan is absolutely ridiculous. But when Anna tries to find a taxi that will take her to Dublin, guess who's the driver. Yup.



     So begins Anna's long-winded, stressful, hilarious adventure of trying to get to Dublin in time to propose to her boyfriend on Leap Day. And her humorous relationship with Declan, who turns out to be actually a lot nicer than she thought.


     Amy Adams was cute as Anna Brady. She annoyed me sometimes, especially at the beginning, because she was just so...modern, I guess. ;-) Plus she wasn't very nice to Declan. (Of course, he wasn't overly pleasant to her either...) The situations she gets herself in are a riot -- like wrecking an entire room while trying to plug in her phone, and frying the entire village in the process. I found it really funny that she walked around the whole movie in those ridiculous high heeled shoes. ;-) Okay, what I want to know is, how does she walk through rainstorms, fall on her face in the mud, and still get her hair looking that great?


     I tend to like stories where people are thrown together in odd circumstances and have to hate each other before they realize they love each other. I also like it in movies when people pretend they're married for one reason or another -- it's just funny. And almost always, the two people end up getting together in the end.


     When Anna misses her train to Dublin, she and Declan go home with the train master for the night. The train master's wife runs a sort of boarding house, but when they get there she only has one room left -- and she won't let anyone stay who isn't married. Desperate as they are, Declan and Anna decide to play along.

     There's only one bed. Problem.


     They flip a coin, Anna gets the bed, and she makes Declan sleep in the shower. (How awful does that sound?) But...it's awfully wet in there. Anna relents and lets Declan share the bed.

Because how could you say no to that face.

     It's pretty weird, but even though they're both in the same bed nothing actually 'happens'. That might really bother some people, but I didn't have a big problem with it. In fact, it made me like Declan even more, because he was a real gentleman about it. Not that I really needed anything to make me like Declan more.

     Did I mention how much I like Declan O'Callaghan?
















     I LOVE DECLAN. Oh, my. He was just....wonderful. :-) Declan is not your typical guy. He was kind of moody, tough on the outside, not the most pleasant guy you're ever bound to meet. But when you get to know him, he's absolutely wonderful. And he's wildly funny. He drives old beat-up cars ("It's a classic!") and listens to annoying Irish indie music ("No one touches the music!") Not to mention, I don't believe Matthew Goode's ever looked better. He really had it going on with that beard.



     I did not like Anna's boyfriend, Jeremy, at all. He was just really, really annoying. Ewwww. He was the kind of person you just really love to hate. He didn't love her, people. Declan loved her. Oh dear, was that a spoiler? Well, you saw it coming.


     Yes, this movie is positively adorable. The kind of movie that makes you squeal and giggle, laugh your head off at times, go "Awwwww....", and leaves you with a sparkly, sweet, romantic feeling that lingers long after you've finished it. I went to bed in a sort of trance that night after watching it, swept away by the utter adorableness.


      If you like rom-coms at all, watch it. If you like Matthew Goode, watch it. If you like quirky stories about people who get into awkward situations, handsome Irish bartenders, and the timeless beauty of true love, then by all means, watch it. And then come back here and comment so we can giggle and squeal and be ridiculous together, because fangirls love company. :-)

29 comments:

  1. Oh wow, yeah, this movie DOES look good, despite it being a contemporary. And good thing that the sharing-bedroom-thing was done in a good, 'gentlemanly' way (although I still don't approve of them doing it.)

    It looks absolutely hilarious and adorable. (I LOVE the scene where they kiss at the dinner table. Absolutely love it. I saw it on Youtube. About five times. ;-P)

    And I love Declan already! Matthew Goode has the clearest eyes ever.

    ~ Naomi

    PS A lot of gifs, Emma. More than your norm. But I guess you couldn't choose 'just' one or two. HAHA. Am I right? :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Do watch it. It's a good contemporary movie. ;-)

      Yeah....the gifs. ;-P Too many, I know, I know. Somehow I found myself stuck in a sea of Declan gifs and I couldn't find my way out. I just had to use them all. Don't you get it?

      Yup. Matthew Goode and Aidan Quinn are in competition for the most beautiful blue eyes.

      Delete
  2. AHHHHHHH!!! Somebody who loves Leap Year as much as me!!!

    I LOVE DECLAN!! I actually first saw this movie when it first came out on dvd. I LOVED IT! My sister and I were just quoting Declans "That's the stupidest things I've ever heard" scene yesterday!

    Oh ew, I hate Jeremy too. I can't stand that actor though, so that may be a little bit of why I dislike him so.

    It's funny, because the part where Declan and Anna get to the B&B is actually my favorite part in the move. The part where they're making dinner together, and then the coin toss, and the silly face about sleeping in the shower- hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Morg, I really loved your enthusiastic comment. :-)

      I can't stand that actor either; of course, I think this is the only thing I've seen him in, but I really disliked him.

      I love the part at the B&B! And I love when the old guy makes them kiss at the dinner table. ;-P

      Delete
  3. haha. I personally really enjoyed this movie, too. And Amy Adams can not *not* look adorable. It's really not fair :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! She always looks gorgeous. It's not fair. ;-P

      Delete
  4. This sounds like a fun movie!! XD Have you ever watched "The Proposal"?? There are a few 'moments' in it, but as a whole it is a HILARIOUS Romantic Comedy...

    Oh, I also tagged you on my blog!! You can check it out here:

    http://plottingertwist.blogspot.com/2015/06/777-challenge.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm, I haven't seen The Proposal, but you're the second person who's told me they like it, so I'll have to see if I can find it! I am finding I DO enjoy chick-flicks once in a while. ;-P

      Ooh, thanks for tagging me! :-)

      Delete
  5. I love Leap Year--it's *terribly* contrived, but rom com's have to be--and Declan is the most normal man I've ever seen in a rom com.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, it is pretty contrived. But I don't care -- it's adorable. ;-P It's refreshing how 'normal' Declan is!

      Delete
  6. Ahhh, I LOVE this film!! It has been one of mine and my family's favorites since the first day we watched it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was surprised how much I loved this movie! It's definitely one of my favorite comedies. ;-)

      Delete
  7. Hey Emma just wanted to leave a quick comment to say that this is actually the cutest film ever! Amy Adams has magical hair and the Irish-ness was very lovely. :) I'm glad you liked it too, although I must admit I was rather surprised to see a modern film pop up on my long-neglected Blogger dashboard! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Danielle, it is pretty rare for me to review modern films! (Cuz I don't normally watch very many.) ;-P I'm glad we both like this one. :-)

      Delete
  8. I do like rom-coms! And Amy Adams, generally. And I'm also a sucker for stories where people have to pretend to be married (The Black Swan, swooooon), and also for a chaste sharing-of-a-bed moments. I'll have to see if I can find this anywhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't think I liked Amy Adams, but she is a pretty good actress. Have you seen Julie & Julia? She's really good in that.

      Okay, for a moment when you said Black Swan, I thought you were talking about the new movie about the ballet with Natalie Portman, and I thought, "how can she like that???" Then I remembered about the old Tyrone Power movie. ;-)

      Yes! Do see if you can find it. It's a little gem of a movie. ;-)

      Delete
    2. Yes! I really liked her in Julie and Julia.

      And nooooo, not the icky Black Swan. I wouldn't watch that, thanks anyway. The Tyrone Power pirate movie :-) I kind of forget about the icky one and its similar title and how confusing that can be. Oops!

      Delete
  9. I love Irishness :) I just watched "Thirteen Days" (political-military drama about the Cuban Missile Crisis) and, because it was about the Kennedys, it was VERY Irish in a subtle kind of way. Just beautifully done. Especially there's one scene where Robert Kennedy has to talk with the Russian ambassador, and he's pretty worried about it, so one of his co-workers says, "I'll whistle you up some luck," and he starts whistling Danny Boy. It was great.

    There's a lot of language but if you like political/historical movies, it's definitely worth watching.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm, I've never heard of that movie before. Sounds interesting. I do really like intense historical dramas. :-)

      Delete
    2. Jessica, I just looked up Thirteen Days...and saw it has Kevin Costner in it! He's one of my favorites.

      Delete
    3. Oh, he was brilliant. Absolutely amazing. He plays Kenny O'Donnell, the president's special assistant, and he's sort of the "main character"--the movie is kind of "told" from his point of view. I really enjoyed his performance. He's actually the one who does the whistling of "Danny Boy" in that scene :-)

      Delete
    4. Kevin Costner is awesome. ;-) We just watched his newest movie, McFarland USA, and it's SO GOOD.

      Delete
  10. Ahhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!! I am totally OBSESSED with this movie! Oh my DECLAN!! Oh my word I love it so much!!!!!! ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe, I was a little obsessed with it too for a few days. ;-)

      Delete
  11. OOOOHHH MY GOODNESS YOU REVIEWED IT!!!!!!!!:D

    I know. I know. You've said it all so well. 'T'is nothing more to say;)

    Those GIFS THOUGH! Declan is adorable, Anna is adorable, the MOVIE is adorable.

    ...I'm so happy you reviewed it!!!!!!!!:D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *lets Olivia lean on her shoulder* I know, I know. SO MUCH ADORABLENESS. (Oooh, apparently 'adorableness' is a word now, there's no red squiggly underneath it. Good to know.)

      Yeah, I somehow ran into a bunch of Declan gifs and I just could not resist using all of them. I love the one of him with his pillow. ;-) Didn't you love it when he jumps into the bed? ;-P

      I'm glad this made you happy!!!! :-)

      Delete
  12. Yay! I'm so glad you liked it! It's definitely adorable and one of my favorites. And yes! YES yes yes! Matthew Goode and his scruffy adorableness?! *swoon* ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love this movie, embarrassed at how many times I've watched it, promoting it to my friends. Declan-hotter then a 2 dollar pistol, and Anna - just perfect as his match. Very good acting although their scripts were weak in many places. Did not hate Jeremy at all, and certainly understood why he would have been considered a great catch. He just was so focused on his job, and took Anna for granted. But it was Declan who first came to acknowledge (although within himself) that he could give her the love she deserved and that she wasn't getting from Jeremy. The proposal was ace-" What? you can stay with me but its going to cost you." Don't think it had anything to do with money, lol.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love it if you'd drop me a line or two! I always enjoy receiving comments from readers and friends. I ask that you please keep your comments clean and God-honoring, and please don't write anything you wouldn't want your grandmother to read. Also, if you are commenting under anonymous, please do leave your name (or some sort of moniker so that you aren't totally nameless). Thank you so much and have a lovely day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...