Wednesday, May 20, 2015

A Love Like Ours // Review

23411527

by
Becky Wade

Former Marine Jake Porter has far deeper scars than the one that marks his face. He struggles with symptoms of PTSD, lives a solitary life, and avoids relationships.

When Lyndie James, Jake’s childhood best friend, lands back in Holley, Texas, Jake cautiously hires her to exercise his Thoroughbreds. Lyndie is tender-hearted, fiercely determined, and afraid of nothing, just like she was as a child. Jake pairs her with Silver Leaf, a horse full of promise but lacking in results, hoping she can solve the mystery of the stallion’s reluctance to run.

Though Jake and Lyndie have grown into very different adults, the bond that existed during their childhood still ties them together. Against Jake’s will, Lyndie’s sparkling, optimistic personality begins to tear down the walls he’s built around his heart. A glimmer of the hope he’d thought he’d lost returns, but fears and regrets still plague him. Will Jake ever be able to love Lyndie like she deserves, or is his heart too shattered to mend?


    I hardly ever, EVER read contemporary romance, so it was in a fit of unusual fancy that I requested this book for review. Truth was, I expected it to be very silly, and at the most something I'd have a reasonably fun time laughing over.

   It was silly, I've got to say. But that isn't to say I didn't like the book. I may have enjoyed it more than I'd bargained for, actually. It took my a long time to get through it simply because I wasn't very immersed in the story (at first, that is), but I did end up liking it. Some parts, I even liked it a lot. It was cheesy, some things made me roll my eyes (okay, maybe a lot of things), but it was cute and fun and sweet. 

   One thing that kind of bothered me was that the whole story was pretty much entirely about romance. It wasn't a bad thing, but I tend to not care for books solely centered on the subject. The whole dating thing got annoying. Some of it was very well-handled; in fact, most of it was, but there was just so MUCH of it. I was reminded again why I don't read these types of books all the time. It's the kind of thing that's fun every once in a while, but if I read books like this all the time I think my brain might turn to mush.

   I loved the Texas setting, the horse theme, and most of the characters were quite charming. It was a sweet story, and I admit I did swoon a couple of times. ;-) Not something I'll read again, but A Love Like Ours ended up being just what I needed, when I needed it.

My rating: 7/ 10

I received this book for free from the publisher in exchange for my honest review.

4 comments:

  1. Hmm maybe I'll give this a try :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This isn't my most favorite from Becky, but I do adore her writing and stories. Hope you enjoy more by her if you ever read them. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I wasn't floored by this one, but I am interested in reading more from Becky Wade!

      Delete
  3. I'm with you -- books where the romance is The Whole Point tend not to delight me either. I like a good romance in addition to the plot, but when it IS the plot, not so much.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love it if you'd drop me a line or two! I always enjoy receiving comments from readers and friends. I ask that you please keep your comments clean and God-honoring, and please don't write anything you wouldn't want your grandmother to read. Also, if you are commenting under anonymous, please do leave your name (or some sort of moniker so that you aren't totally nameless). Thank you so much and have a lovely day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...