Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Society of Literary Ladies// Olivia







       Howdy folks! Time for the next installation of our Literary Ladies Interviews! I've had the pleasure of getting to know Olivia these past months from her blog, Meanwhile, In Rivendell..., and have been very blessed to find a kindred spirit in her! She's lots of fun and her blog is a delight to read. She also likes westerns, Robert Duvall, and musicals, so of course we had to become friends. :-) I'm pleased to introduce her to y'all, and do take a look at her blog too!




  Introduce yourself! Tell us your name, your age (if you don’t mind sharing), three of your biggest passions and one thing you love about April.

’Ello, all!  Thank you sooo much for having me, Emma!  It’s such an honor to participate:)

My name is Olivia, but you can also call me Liv, Livvy, Lulu, I’ve heard it all;)

I am a girl who doesn’t really want to grow up; that’s about all I’d like to say of my age, but you’ll probably figure it out before too long *ahem*

Three of my biggest passions…I’m going to lump stories (movies, books, books on audio, etc.) into one category, because they are a HUGE passion of mine.  Another one is music (yes, yes, I know I sound clichéd, but hey, there’s a reason books/movies and music are passions for so many).  Music is amazing, the end.  A third passion…I also enjoy crocheting, sewing occasionally, writing poetry, and rearranging/organizing my room.  Take your pick;)  Oh, and cherry trees!  I dearly love cherry trees…

…Which ties into the next question.  One thing I love about April?  Spring.  More specifically, the cherry tree blooming, flowers, grass, and that unbelievably amazing scent that permeates the air in the spring.


Where is home for you? (Be as vague or specific as you like.)

Home is located in a beautiful valley in a location that I will not reveal, muhahaha.


What is your current situation academically? (For example, what grade are you in, are you homeschooled, our of school, go to public school, or take lessons from an elderly spinster aunt.)

I am homeschooled with a co-op, about to finish my sophomore year of high school.


How would you describe your writing style as?

Assuming we’re not talking school writing, I guess it would depend on whether I’m writing fiction (which I don’t do very often, anymore *sniffle*) or poetry.  When I write fiction, I supposed relaxed would be the best word, when I write poetry, rather sentimental.

Is there one author who has particularly influenced you in your writing?

There are several…I suppose C. S. Lewis and Louisa May Alcott, to name two.


Favorite book series?

Hmm…I don’t read that many series, I must say.  But for the sake of the question, the Chronicles of Narnia series.

Favorite childhood book?

I loved the Dear America and Royal Diaries series, and Girls of Many Lands, One Hundred and One Dalmatians by Dodie Smith (the original one) and Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine.

 I know it can be hard sometimes for us bookish personalities to pick a favorite author, but if you had to choose just one, who would you pick?

*flails*  Oh, the PAIN!  Okay, C. S. Lewis.  For Narnia and for Aslan! , yes, but more for Mere Christianity, Till We Have Faces, etc.

What’s your favorite book that’s been made into a movie? How do you feel about the film adaptation as compared with the book?

Well, do you mean my favorite-EVER book?  Because no.  I refuse;)  One of my favorite books, Peter Pan (yes, I love juvenile fiction, don’t judge), has of course been made into several movie versions...and the two that I’ve seen – the animated Disney classic and the live-action remake from 2003 – frankly don’t cut it in my opinion.  There are, of course, things I love from the movies, but overall the book is just better, to me.

Who is one literary character you feel you are most like?

Molly Gibson.  We’re both fairly quiet in company, rather thoughtful, and content in our own little corners of the world;)


 Could you tell us some of your favorite names of characters you’ve created?

’Hem, well, I haven’t really created that many original names.  I do like to look up unusual names for characters, but most of them are, in fact, already names.  Actually, the only one I can really remember inventing is ‘Calaman’ (it’s a guy name), and I’m not overly excited about that one, so…yup.

Where is your favorite place to read? What about writing?

For reading, I love to snuggle – into my saucer chair, a couch, or another stuffed chair.  I actually don’t really prefer to read in bed (gasp!), but occasionally I will.  For writing, I have to be sitting – for some reason, I can’t write reclining.  Again, my saucer chair or the chair in front of the computer, hee;)

 Do you normally write first drafts on a computer, or do you prefer old-fashioned pen and paper?

I write first drafts for papers and fiction on the computer, but I write poetry by hand:D


 Be honest: what is your handwriting like?

I’ve been told it’s good, but I’m not sure.  It’s not (usually) sloppy, but it’s not Edwardian calligraphy, either, ha.

 How long does it generally take you to read a good book? (Of course I know it depends on just HOW good it is, but in general.)

I’m a bit of a slow reader, actually:-/  It depends on how much else is going on at the moment, but I usually take my sweet time with books…I’d better not say, actually :-P

 What’s your record time for finishing a book?

I don’t think I’ve ever actually tried to read a book in, say two hours, but I don’t think I could (at least, not if it was the usual-sized book that I read).  Maybe a day?  Two days?  I’m really not sure.

 Name five of the best books you’ve ever read that you recommend to other fellow bluestockings.

Sheesh…this is harder than it looks!  Here are five random ones that have made deep impressions:

Rose in Bloom by Louisa May Alcott
Bleak House by Charles Dickens
Ivanhoe by Sir Walter Scott
Pearl Maiden by H. Rider Haggard
The Scarlet Pimpernel by Baroness Emmuska Orczy


Tell about the things you think are most important in a good novel.

Writing style is what makes it or breaks it for me.  The story might be great, but if the writing isn’t “quite the thing,” I won’t enjoy it.  Of course, this is partially just personal taste over what constitutes a writing style that I’ll enjoy…which is why I must admit that I don’t care for Jane Austen’s style of writing.  Except in Pride and Prejudice…that I liked;)  A novel, to be really great, has to have little “gems” of prose that express an idea or truth in a truly powerful way.  It could be simple or elaborate, but I need some great one-liners in a book.  Also, characters that you can stomach with equanimity are nice – which is something certain authors needed to know *cough cough Martha Finley cough*.

 About what age did you start writing stories? Do you still have your early works?

When I was younger, I wrote little short stories a lot (now, like I said, I tend more towards poetry).  I think I still have a few of them.  I enjoyed writing stories that took place in magical/mythical worlds, such as mermaid or fairy tales;)

Are you currently working on a novel/story/project?

I’m attempting to buckle down more seriously and polish up my poetry efforts, as well as make more thereof.  There are also a few story ideas swimming around the ol’ noggin, and hopefully, someday, I’ll find the time/motivation to develop them.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Thank you, Olivia! :-)

14 comments:

  1. Yay! This is a lovely interview Olivia! Every time I read your blog posts (and especially this one you did for the 'Society' :P), I am amazed at just how much we have in common! We are kindred spirits to be sure. Oh, and Molly Gibson was also my 'one literary character you feel you are most like'. I love how you described her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Reyna! Yes! I was sooo excited when we discovered each other's blogs:D Molly is awesome, isn't she? I like to think I'm like her;)

      Delete
  2. That is so neat that you are a poetess! Though I only write poetry once in a blue moon I do think it can be so fun to write. What do your poems tend to be about?

    Molly is just the sweetest thing. My sisters and I all agree she'd make a perfect sister-in-law. :)

    I enjoy taking my "sweet time" (I like that description very much indeed!) with books, too. Indeed, I take such a long time for someone who claims to be a devoted story worm (which I do and am!) that it is almost embarrassing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Éowyn! I tend to write poems about nature or a truth God has impressed on me recently:)

      Haha, it embarrasses me sometimes. I feel like I really should be able to read more quickly 0.0

      Delete
  3. Thanks for interviewing me, Emma! I LOVE all the pictures you chose. Highly approve;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, lovely to meet you Oliva and so sweet of Emma to interview you!
    I will be remembering the list of books you mentioned for next time we visit the library:)
    Hopping over to your blog now to say hello!
    And Emma, sending a big hug to you today, dear:)
    Love,
    Kelly-Anne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kelly-Anne:) Oh, good, I hope you like them!

      Delete
  5. Oh, I love these interviews!
    I read some of the Girls of Many Lands books! Which did you like best? I think I remember preferring Cecile's story.
    Ha, Edwardian calligraphy. Every time I watch a period drama and they write a note in their oh-so elegant handwriting, I'm like, "Why can't I write like that tooooo??" :D
    Practice, Natalie, practice.
    Love your suggestion list! I must read Ivanhoe and Bleak House someday soon. I'm in the middle of Little Dorrit right now. :)
    I agree most heartedly with your opinion of a great novel, but

    -gasp-

    You don't care for Jane Austen's style???? Dear, oh dear, what will become of you?.....

    (I'm just teasing. ;))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So do I, Natalie! I really enjoyed reading the other interviews:)
      Yay! I loved Cecile's story, too, and also Neela's and Spring Pearl's.
      Haha, yes, I feel your pain. "I do not write so elegantly as I should wish to, but I have always believed that to be my own fault, because I would not take the trouble of practicing." :D
      Yes, YES, read BH and Ivanhoe!!! Especially Ivanhoe, hee;)
      I know, I'm terrible, hehe;)

      Delete
  6. Very nice interview! I like the focus on Lewis & especially the mention of Till We Have Faces. Perhaps my favorite book by Lewis.

    And 101 Dalmatians is also a great book. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. George, I agree! I first read Till We Have Faces for the first time a number of months ago, and I was blown away by all the layers and texture to Lewis's writing in that one. Totally my authorial hero;)

      I know, isn't 101 Dalmatians adorable? So cute:)

      Delete
  7. Olivia,
    HA, loved your different use of the P&P quote for our handwriting conversation!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love it if you'd drop me a line or two! I always enjoy receiving comments from readers and friends. I ask that you please keep your comments clean and God-honoring, and please don't write anything you wouldn't want your grandmother to read. Also, if you are commenting under anonymous, please do leave your name (or some sort of moniker so that you aren't totally nameless). Thank you so much and have a lovely day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...