Friday, April 10, 2015

On Shifting Sand// Review


By
Allison Pittman

   Long before anyone would christen it "The Dust Bowl," Nola Merrill senses the destruction. She's been drying up bit by bit since the day her mother died, leaving her to be raised by a father who withholds his affection the way God keeps a grip on the Oklahoma rain. A hasty marriage to Russ, a young preacher, didn't bring the escape she desired. Now, twelve years later with two children to raise, new seeds of dissatisfaction take root.When Jim, a mysterious drifter and long-lost friend from her husband's past, takes refuge in their home, Nola slowly springs to life under his attentions until a single, reckless encounter brings her to commit the ultimate betrayal of her marriage. For months Nola withers in the wake of the sin she so desperately tries to bury. Guilt and shame consume her physically and spiritually, until an opportunity arises that will bring the family far from the drought and dust of Oklahoma. Or so she thinks. As the storms follow, she is consumed with the burden of her sin and confesses all, hoping to find Russ's love strong enough to stand the test.


    It isn't often that I can't decide what to say about a book. I'm still not sure what I think of this one. It's a good story,  it's quite well-written, and yet-- I just didn't like it. Most of that, I know, is because it's written in the dreaded present-tense, which I really dislike reading. It often makes me confused, and it annoys me so much that it's just plain distracting. I know I would have gotten much more from this book if it hadn't been written this way.

   Another reason why I didn't particularly enjoy it was the dark subject matter. It's not a happy story at all. I often love stories that deal with heavy issues, hard times, wrong choices, and end in redemption. This one, however, just didn't grab me. As I said before, the writing bothered me immensely, and wasn't enough to attach me to the characters and pull me into the story.

   If you can get past the weird way it's presented, I'm sure it is a powerful book.So while it didn't do anything special for me, I definitely don't discourage others from reading it.

 My rating: 5/10

I received this book for free from the publisher in exchange for my honest review.

(By the way, if you follow my book blog as well, I'm sorry for the review coming up two times on your dash-- I still have to review books for publishing companies here, so that's why.) :-)

3 comments:

  1. I've heard a lot of good things about this book, but given my past experiences with this author's novels, I won't be in a rush to pick it up. Like you say, she is a talented writer, but something about the way the stories are presented don't pull me in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, my dearest Violet! I've tagged you with the just-a-list-of-random-questions-tag. :-)
    Feel free to ignore, if you want, of course! And I know, the tag is very well-matched with my curious personality. Please don't laugh. :-P

    http://naomiblog15.blogspot.be/2015/04/just-list-of-random-questions-tag.html

    ReplyDelete

I'd love it if you'd drop me a line or two! I always enjoy receiving comments from readers and friends. I ask that you please keep your comments clean and God-honoring, and please don't write anything you wouldn't want your grandmother to read. Also, if you are commenting under anonymous, please do leave your name (or some sort of moniker so that you aren't totally nameless). Thank you so much and have a lovely day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...