Friday, March 27, 2015

Society of Literary Ladies// Eowyn


   For our next interview, please welcome Miss Eowyn Peterson! :-)

  Introduce yourself! Tell us your name, your age (if you don’t mind sharing), three of your biggest passions and one thing you love about March.

First, I was over the top thrilled and I may or may not have squeaked with excitement when Emma (who is one of my Very Favorite Blogging People) invited me to interview! Thank you, Emma!!!

And now for who I am. My name is Éowyn Peterson and I will be nineteen come this April. A sinner saved by Grace, I relish living life to its very seams: whether it be imaginings/writing/reading, riding and dancing with my horse, Windfola, or dreaming of the wild West—both current, historical, and fictional.

Ah, March. I was not looking forward to Spring in the least, but like most things, it has actually surprised me with its wonderfulness! One thing I love about March? The wide swathes of golden daffodils along the country roads.


Where is home for you? (Be as vague or specific as you like.)

I live on a farm on the western edge of the mid-west, with many of the traditional creatures that come with it. Thus, one of the most important things about home for me is having at least one or two creatures around the place. However, it is also a place that is filled with abundant humor, family who always get my humor, and plenty of fresh air—both mental and physical. Altogether, though I dream of and long for other places, this place will always be one of my favorites in the world.

What is your current situation academically? (For example, what grade are you in, are you homeschooled, out of school, go to public school, or take lessons from an elderly spinster aunt.)

My mother (with assistance from my sister Heidi) arranges my home education. Some things come easier than others, of course, (math for instance is an “other”); however, I have always been actively encouraged to pursue those things that I hear a call to and find most fulfilling—thus horsemanship, writing, blogging (hey it’s a sort of writing!) reading, history, and health research, plus a gaggle of other interesting subjects take center stage. Someday I am going to be that spritely spinster aunt who has the cute little farm with the tidy vegetable patch, the gentle-eyed jersey cow (never mind that our current one thinks I’m a perfect nut :)) and the wonderful mules/donkeys/horses and who teaches all her nieces and nephews (especially nephews, we need more boy horse lovers) and any other children how to ride.


What would you describe your writing style as?

Lyrical, humorous and sometimes heartbreaking. That is a pretty ambitious goal, but it is the one I am chasing!


Is there one author who has particularly influenced you in your writing?

L.M. Montgomery. There are several others too, but I always find that even though my writing may not be exactly following her formula, her style and stories never fail to fill me with inspiration.


Favorite book series?

Either Nancy Drew or Cherry Ames. Both are great friends from of old, hence, how could I ever choose between them? But probably Nancy Drew—as I have yet to become a nurse but I have had my hair chopped off (twice!) to be like Nancy. :)

Favorite childhood book?

The Gardener by Sarah Stewart and David Long. Oh, how I used to—and still do in fact—pour over that book! It is so terribly inspiring I have not a doubt it greatly encouraged my love for growing things and ignited my love for the vintage/retro.

I know it can be hard sometimes for us bookish personalities to pick a favorite author, but if you had to choose just one, who would you pick?

P.G. Wodehouse. There are several others as well, but no one, absolutely no one, can compare to Wodehouse.


What’s your favorite book that’s been made into a movie? How do you feel about the film adaptation as compared with the book?

Ivanhoe. The two adaptations I have seen (the ’52 and ’82 versions) are exquisitely perfect, thus meaning (for this story) that my viewing of them is also extremely emotional. :)

Who is one literary character you feel you are most like?

Nic from The Growing Up of Cornelia by L.M. Montgomery (a short story). I try not to talk about/reference the same stories all the time, but really I can’t help it here as there is no other character to whom I am so much alike!

Where is your favorite place to read? What about writing?

I read here and there and everywhere—on the stairs, in the car, lying on the floor, in the living room, beside my desk…and sometimes outside on a hot day in the shaded valley. Usually my best place to write is at the desk in my room, but I also have been known to get absolutely breathtaking ideas while cooking or out of doors with Windfola.


Do you normally write first drafts on a computer, or do you prefer old-fashioned pen and paper?

Writing with pen and paper always seems so romantic and Anne-of-Green-Gables-ish or Jo March-ish  to me, but there is one difficulty—I usually end up writing absurdly sentimental silliness. Thus, though I do have multiple notebooks in which I jot down my Brilliant Ideas, I tend to write on my laptop.

Be honest: what is your handwriting like?

Often intelligible, if I take care (when—say—writing a letter for instance) it can be a quite neat and pleasing cursive. No matter how pleasing in letter form, though, it used to clog up my writing inspiration notes, so a few months ago I switched to writing the said notes in caps. So now 95% of my notes and To-Do lists are written down like an engineer’s and I have been finding that it works far better.

How long does it generally take you to read a good book? (Of course I know it depends on just HOW good it is, but in general.)

Around a week or so? As stated, much depends on the different factors at play—as sometimes, if it’s a favorite I may try to savor it for as long as possible, but if I don’t know the end or am just reading it for history or simply for reading’s sake, my reading may be more speedy.

What’s your record time for finishing a book?

About six hours. I am not what would be termed a fast reader; however, it was Belle by Cameron Dokey, which meant it was both shorter than most the stories I read and impossible to put down!


Name five of the best books you’ve ever read that you recommend to other fellow bluestockings.

St. Bartholomew’s Eve by G. A. Henty – Dramatic, tragic and all around thrilling, this book is Henty at the top of his form.

To Have and to Hold by Mary Johnson – Piratical adventure at its very best. The hero Captain Ralph Percy is AMAZING (how could he not be with a name like that?) and the entire story is pretty much one thrilling dream of perfect romance in both senses of that terrific term!

Shirley by Charlotte Brontë – The plot reminds me of both Wives & Daughters and North & South (though it was written before both) and it is set during the time of Jane Austen, which makes for a very interesting mix. It is romantic, refreshing, and exciting, and also one of my very favorite pieces of historical fiction.

Riders of the Purple Sage by Zane Grey – I feel as if I have been throwing this book at everyone’s head lately, but it is so deep and well written and the plot so full of twists and turns that it completely deserves it.

Wulfric the Weapon Thane by Charles W. Whistler – I have not read this book for far too long, but as it inspired me to write my very first “real” story, it is definitely one of my personal favorites.

Tell about the things you think are most important in a good novel.

Lyrical description and dialogue with an exciting plot, interesting characters and a strong moral foundation. Please note that that final clause does not mean it needs to be a sermon, but simply that is must have a just theme.


About what age did you start writing stories? Do you still have your early
works?

My first published story, Blue Ice and Amber, was finished when I was sixteen. And yes! I definitely still have it. It is one of my most satisfying projects to date, as I wept buckets (“just like Jo”) while finishing it and it made both my sister Heidi and my mother cry at the end of it—which made me so happy! Altogether it is very dear to me and it still makes me cry.

Are you currently working on a novel/story/project?

YES!!! Two major ones and two that are purely in the Imagination stage. The first is titled They Searched Who Laughed. The story takes place in 1840’s North Carolina and is a romance/mystery. I am working on it with my next youngest sister and it is actually a sequel of sorts to Kathryn Worth’s They Loved to Laugh, but it could really be its own stand alone piece. The other I call My Western Dream Story because—crazily enough—I actually dreamed it! And just last night (I seem to find the night hours highly inspiring) I came up with a WWII story that, though it has similar themes to my others, yet has a much more bittersweet feel to it, and I am SO THRILLED about it!!

Thanks so much for having me, Emma! This was jolly great fun. :)

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~


   Thank you, Eowyn! It's been so lovely getting to know you! Folks, Eowyn blogs over at Captured by the Word about her writing, other things of a literary nature and all sorts of lovely topics. {She's also a fellow western fanatic and a pretty all-around awesome person. ;-P} Do drop by and pay her a visit!

8 comments:

  1. This was "jolly great fun" to read!:D

    P. G. Wodehouse! Amazing man, that;)

    IVANHOE. YES.

    I should really read "Riders of the Purple Sage" and "To Have and to Hold"! They sound great:D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eowyn, you seem so talented!

    That's one thing I'm goaling for - writing something that makes people cry. Like actually CRY. You're so lucky to have accomplished it already! I always say a book is good when it makes me cry. :-)

    Lucy Maud Montgomery is your biggest writing-model too! Same here! She writes GOLD.

    I'm glad you recommended 'Shirley.' I've heard quite a lot of it - and now I really want to read it. Is it the one where the girl has to wait ages for the guy?

    Haha! Me too - when I write on paper, sentimental silliness always seems to come out. :-)

    P.G.Wodehouse is GENIUS. I won't say he's my favourite writer of all, but I can't deny that he is AMAZING. Have you read, 'The Girl on the Boat'? That's my favourite Wodehouse book.

    Great answers!
    ~ Naomi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your answers, sister dear!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww, the picture at the beginning of the post is adorable.
    All your answers are so splendid!
    Captain Ralph Percy IS a wonderful name.
    Ugh, I NEED to read a Zane Grey book! You mention them so much and they sound so good! :)
    I've noticed your story "Blue Ice and Amber" is on Amazon in Kindle format, but not paperback. Is there a way to get it in paperback? And if not, is it possible to read Kindle books on a laptop? I honestly know so little about these things! :/
    Oh!!! I LOVE dreams that become stories! That's so much fun!
    Heehee I have a bittersweet WW2 story in mind too. Hopefully I can start it someday! I'm too busy with my current WIP for any other stories right now, though. :)
    Loved reading your answers!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely interview! And as for throwing Riders of the Purple Sage at people a lot... it's just that good. People need to read it!

    Mmmmm, WWII. My second-favorite setting ever! So cool that you've got a new idea that's set there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The pictures you chose are so beautiful and spot on, Emma! The photo of the girl and her horse in particular gets the "feel" of many of my moments with Windy. :)

    Olivia,
    I'm glad you thought it was jolly.

    P.G. Wodehouse is one of my real life heroes. :)

    Ivanhoe. Yes indeed!

    Ah yes, and by all means read those two!

    Naomi,
    That's so sweet of you to say!

    As for my story... I was literally so choked with tears while finishing the last page, that I could hardly see my laptop screen! Isn't it interesting how satisfying a good hearty cry can be sometimes? :)

    L.M. Montgomery - DEFINITE gold!

    Yes, Shirley is the one where she has to wait ages for the "hero"! Funny enough, though, even while he irritates me I can't help but think with the heroine that he is wonderful all the same. Mayhap his being a distinguished foreigner and his getting wounded have something to do with it. :)

    No, I haven't read "A Girl on the Boat," but just from the title it sounds fascinating and I will now certainly have to get hold of it somehow!

    Thanks, Heidi! :)


    Natalie,
    I think Captain Percy's name is one of my favorites in all literature. Actually, his wife's is, too, Jocelyn Leigh. Isn't it so bookish and elegant?

    As for "Blue Ice and Amber".... I DO have another way I can get it to you. ;)

    Dreams are just the greatest, are not they?

    I know what you mean about being caught up in WIP's! I have several story ideas which I am just brimming over with excitement to write, yet I have only so much writing/thinking time for stories, so I have to choose between them. :(

    So glad you enjoyed them!

    Hamlette,
    Hee hee, yes! I keep reminding myself that it is for their own good! :)

    It was but recently that I really "got into" the WWII time period (besides the fashions of course, which I have admired for ages), but now I am head over heels into it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Eowyn,
    I'm FINALLY commenting on this! I don't have any explanation for why it took me so long. Just did. ;-P

    I love all your answers! It's so fun to read when you talk about your writing, because your excitement and your passion just exude from your words. Your current projects sound awesome!

    I have the same problem-- I keep coming up with new stories that grip me by the throat and demand to be written, which distracts me from the other ones I'm trying to get done. But it's kind of a good problem. ;-P

    I reeeaaaaaly want to see the '82 Ivanhoe. Because....well, Anthony Andrews. I'm a bit of a fan, you see. And now I've heard the book is so good, well, I just might have to read it!

    I loved the Nancy Drew series when I was younger! I had this goal to read all 56 books before I graduated high school....I think I read about 24 before I stopped. But I still think fondly on them. :-)

    I hope my writing is lyrical, humorous, and heartbreaking. You described it so well.

    Aww, I'm glad you liked the pictures. By the way, I just LOVE the name of your horse! Windfola. Sounds like the wind when it whistles through the treetops in summer. :-)

    ~Emma

    ReplyDelete
  8. Eowyn,
    Oh my, yes, Jocelyn Leigh is SUCH an elegant name!
    Ooh, I'm very excited now! Can't wait to read it! :)
    Yes. I adore dreams. So much fun and adventure, without leaving your bed. :) haha

    ReplyDelete

I'd love it if you'd drop me a line or two! I always enjoy receiving comments from readers and friends. I ask that you please keep your comments clean and God-honoring, and please don't write anything you wouldn't want your grandmother to read. Also, if you are commenting under anonymous, please do leave your name (or some sort of moniker so that you aren't totally nameless). Thank you so much and have a lovely day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...