Thursday, March 19, 2015

Books, bookcases, and tags, oh my!


    My sweet bloggy friend Natalie has done this Bookshelf Tag on her blog, and it's just too much fun for me to resist! Plus it's been a while since I did a good tag. And really, who doesn't love talking about books???


Describe your bookshelf (or wherever it is you keep your books-it doesn't actually have to be a shelf!) and where you got it from:

   My bookcase is rather small, three shelves, painted dark blue. I bought it two years ago in the fall at a friend's store, and it's served me very well so far. Though my book collection is always growing, and if it keeps up at this rate then we might have a problem. ;-D


Do you have any special or different way of organizing your books?

  I keep authors together, and all my favorites are kept on the top shelf. The middle shelf is mostly Christian fiction, and the bottom has all my classics and children's books.


   That's Jeanette Isabella sitting on top of my Lynn Austin collection. :-) I bought her in Williamsburg five years ago.

What's the thickest (most amount of pages) book on your shelf?

   The Works of Jane Austen, which includes four of her novels. The biggest single book would be East of Eden by John Steinbeck.



What's the thinnest (least amount of pages) book on your shelf?

   One of my Beatrix Potter books, most likely. Oh, how I love those little stories! :-)


   That's James Douty and Newman Noggs sitting atop the stack. Sadie and I named them after the steward in the Hornblower movies and Ralph Nickleby's clark in Nicholas Nickleby.

Is there a book you received as a birthday gift?

    I got Georgette Heyer's Regency World for my fourteenth birthday, after I had all but confiscated the library's copy. My sister Sadie got The Tutor's Daughter by Julie Klassen for her twelfth birthday, but then I ended up reading it first and liked it so much we made a trade. Sisters are awesome. :-)


What's the smallest (height and width wise) book on your shelf?

    My Beatrix Potter books.

What's the biggest (height and width wise) book on your shelf?

    The Lost Files of Nancy Drew. It's a big picture book with lots of flaps and pop-ups and cool stuff like that.

 

Is there a book from a friend on your shelf?

    My sweet Naomi gave me The Sweetest Thing by Elizabeth Musser for Christmas this past year! It's such an amazing book about a very special friendship, and I will treasure it always. :-)


Most expensive book?

    Uhhh....probably The Lost Files of Nancy Drew. I think I paid 26 bucks for that baby. I really wanted it, you see. ;-P

The last book you read on your shelf?

   Miracle in a Dry Season by Sarah Loudin Thomas. A sweet story, but not one I'll be recommending to everyone from the rooftops.


Of all the books on your shelf, which was the first you read?

    Oh wow! Okay, let's see. Probably one of the American Girl Molly books, or maybe Sarah, Plain and Tall.  I really can't remember!

Do you have more than one copy of a book?

    Nope.

Do you have the complete series of any book series?

   I have the complete Lizzie Searches for Love trilogy by Linda Byler, and the Sadie's Montana trilogy also by Linda Byler. Oh yeah, and the Avenue of Dreams trilogy by Olivia Newport.


   I love these books so much! :-)


What's the newest addition to your shelf?

    After a Fashion by Jen Turano, which I got from Bethany House Publishers to review. I might have to stop requesting these lame books just for the sake of getting a book in the mail-- it's getting a little old. ;-P


What book has been on your shelf FOREVER?

    Well, I haven't had the shelf for that long, but one book I've had for a long time is Beatrix Potter's Bunny Stories, a light green, wonderfully smooth hardcover book with several of her stories about bunnies. I bought it at a book sale aaaages ago, and it's one of my favorites.


What's the most recently published book on your shelf?

    After a Fashion by Jen Turano.


The oldest book on your shelf (as in, the actual copy is old)?

   I have some really old books from my Grandma, but I don't keep them on my shelf with the others so I suppose that doesn't count...? Well, too bad, I'm going to count it anyway. ;-P The oldest one is The Little Shepherd of Kingdom Come by John Fox Jr, and it was published in 1898. And no, I haven't read it. I just stare at it and sigh dreamily.


A book you won?

    This adorable little Perfect Pairs book! I won it in Hamlette's book giveaway last summer. It has lots of scrumptious pictures of old Hollywood couples from classic movies. Definitely swoon-worthy.



A book you'd hate to let out of your sight (aka a book you never let someone borrow)?

   I admit, I'm slightly over-possessive about my books sometimes. Especially my favorites. Probably Hidden Places, just because it's my favorite book EVER and I'd rather not part with it for any amount of time. :-)


Most beat up book?

   I dropped All Things New by Lynn Austin in the bathtub once....


Most pristine book?

    Most of my books are fairly new, so they're in great condition.


A book from your childhood?

   Sarah, Plain and Tall by Patricia McLachlan. I LOVE those stories!


A book that's not actually your book?

    Oh, you got me there. I've got a book on my shelf called Mrs. Robert E. Lee which actually belongs to my mom, and one called The Band Played On which is my dad's. Also several of the juvenile fiction on my bottom shelf don't belong specifically to me, but I like them so I keep them there and no one minds. ;-)


A book with a special/different cover (e.g. leather bound, soft fuzzy cover etc.)?

   I love the sweet green cover of my Beatrix Potter book-- it feels so smooth and lovely and it's so fun to run your hand over. My big Nancy Drew book also has a cool, puffy cover.



A book that is your favorite color?

  I love the colors in the cover of Wonderland Creek, and how they all meld together so beautifully. That cover is just ridiculously gorgeous.

 
Book that's been on your shelf the longest that you STILL haven't read?

  The Scarlet Pimpernel. I bought it at a library sale two summers ago, and all it's done is just sit there...waiting....okay, I'll get to you....;-P


Any signed books?

    Yes! Boredom and Glamour Clashes, written by my very own bestie Naomi! It's also dedicated to me, which is about the coolest thing ever. :-)



~ Thanks Natalie! ~

14 comments:

  1. So enjoyed all your answers and pictures!!!

    And...and...and you haven't read Scarlet Pimpernel yet??? Emma -- EMMA -- you really shouldn't confess such things; it's not good for my health!! But no, don't worry -- it's all right! ;D I hope you can read it soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. !!! So happy you did this, Emma Jane! :)
    Aw, what a cute bookshelf. I love how it's open on the top. And -gasp- you have the Millie doll??? I always wanted her when I was younger...okay, I still do want her but not quite as much as I used to. :)
    Aww, your Beatrix Potter books and companions are SO cute. :)
    Ha! I used to have the Lost Files of Nancy Drew. I kept all the postcards. :)
    I LOVE the cover of The Sweetest thing...I know you're not supposed to judge a book by its cover, but sometimes I beautiful cover just makes you check the book out. :)
    If you ask Bethany House to send you a book to review, is it completely free? If so, I may want to try that sometime....:)

    Thanks so much for doing my tag, Emma!! I love reading (and seeing) your answers!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello there :) I've never commented on your blog before, but I've stalked it some lately and I like it very much! Your writing is lovely and you have great taste in books.
    I might steal your bookshelf tag, if you don't mind. I've just started blogging myself and I'm still getting the hang of it, so I could use some inspiration. But I could talk about my bookshelves forever!

    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heidi,
    Oh dear! I should have considered what a shock that would be to some. ;-P I will make it a priority to read TSP soon!

    Natalie,
    Aww, thank you. :-) I really enjoyed filling out the questions!

    My sister Sadie and I got Millie Keith and Kathleen McKenzie when we were about...eight and ten, maybe. I know, I love those dolls! My older sister got Elsie some years later-- Millie's wearing her dress here, as you can see. ;-D

    Isn't the Lost Files of Nancy Drew deliciously awesome?! I've always been a fan of the original series, and I love geeky stuff like that. I used to have all the postcards taped up on my closet door.

    Yeah, Bethany House has this blogger-review program where you can receive books completely free if you review them on your blog. I've been doing it for over a year now-- it's really awesome, except sometimes the books I get are duds. ;-P But it's kind of worth it to just get a book in he mail! If you go to bakerpublishinggroup.com/bethany house and click on 'Blogger Review Program' you can find all the information about it.


    Amanda,
    Why, hello! :-) Sure, you can steal the tag. I just copied it from Natalie's blog.
    Oooh, how exciting! Good luck with your blog! :-)
    Thanks for commenting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi! I think this is my first comment here too, but I just want to say that your blog is lovely! (And I found it through Wonderland Creek, btw!:) Your bookshelf is so NEAT! Both in the sense that it's tidy and that it's cool! I have that Williamsburg doll too, but I call her Felicity, like the American Girl. Lovely books; now I'll have to read some of them!
    Abby

    ReplyDelete
  6. Emma, I'm BAAAAACK. Jane is better - I had to live without her for several days and it was herder than I'd like to admit. :-P

    Anyways, this tag is SUCH fun. As soon as my camera is back into order again, I'm going to set out to do it. Thank you Natalie, for thinking of it.

    Awww you mentioned me. I always will love that. The sweetest thing is SUCH a good book. It reminds me of our phone-call, 'cos we talked about it then, remember? That was such fun. Yup. ;-)
    And you mentioned my little novella too. *proud feeling that feels good*

    I got so exciting looking at your books and spotting Lynn Austin favourites and all that. It's just too cool. :-)

    BOOKS. Why are they so fascinating.

    ~ Naomi

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such fun:D

    Oh, I know how you feel about the expanding book collection! I'm almost completely out of room, which is a great pity, since I love my little book chest.

    When I read that, "I dropped [such and such] in the bathtub once…" I cracked up a little;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Abby,
    Aw, thank you so much. :-) And you have that doll too!!! I LOVE the Felicity books and the movie. {Have you seen it? It's so sweet it makes me cry every time.} Thanks for commenting!

    Naomi dearest,
    You're BAAAACK. Feels good to be back after an absence, doesn't it? I've experienced the feeling many times. It's oddly refreshing. Welcome back! :-)

    Why are books so fascinating? I dunno. They just are. Aren't we glad? ;-P

    Arwen,
    Yay, someone laughs at my unfortunate misadventures. ;-P It's alright, though, because I didn't really like the book that much anyway. Some of my other books have gotten tea spilled on them from my sister; it's like, if I lend a book to Sadie to read, I have to be prepared for it to get tea-stained. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. *mouth gapes* Ohmygoodness! Your copies of books are so simply delightfully georgous! *closes open mouth*

    ReplyDelete
  10. Emma,
    Aww, that's so sweet that you all have one of the dolls! And yes, haha, I did notice that she had Elsie's dress on. It looks so sweet on her!
    I was sad when they discontinued the ALOF dolls. :(

    Thanks for explaining that! Maybe I'll try it sometime. Like you said, just to get free books in the mail.... :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey Emma! So sorry for the long email! I hope it wasn't too long?! :-)
    Your friend
    Evie

    ReplyDelete
  12. Evie,
    No, not at all! Sorry I haven't replied yet-- you know how life is. :-) Soon!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I also have a copy of The Scarlet Pimpernel and haven't read it yet :-o

    Awww, look! It's Perfect Pairs. I remember buying that at a drugstore back in Wisconson. Such a cool book -- I'm so glad you like it! I've been thinking of doing another big book giveaway this year :-D Maybe not quite so big, as I haven't had as much time to save up books, but I think I've got like ten I'd like to pass on so far. Hmm.

    The little Beatrix Potter figures of your initials are adorable!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very nice blog. I have most of Beatrix Potter, too. I love children illustrators and collect stories just for their pictures. Thanks for the post.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love it if you'd drop me a line or two! I always enjoy receiving comments from readers and friends. I ask that you please keep your comments clean and God-honoring, and please don't write anything you wouldn't want your grandmother to read. Also, if you are commenting under anonymous, please do leave your name (or some sort of moniker so that you aren't totally nameless). Thank you so much and have a lovely day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...