Saturday, March 14, 2015

a morning in march



  Howdy friends! :-)

  It's a quiet Saturday morning. I woke up early, like I usually do, took my stuffed rabbit and book in hand and rambled out to my favorite chair to read for a spell in the dark, peaceful stillness that comes before the dawn. I love reading in the early mornings, immersing myself into someone else's story before I embark on my own each day. {And boy, is this book I'm reading taking me on a trail ride of emotions. Sheesh. I'm loving it, if you couldn't tell from my tone.} ;-P

  And now I feel like writing-- just writing. About nothing in particular. I haven't been posting a whole lot here on 'the blog' {well, not as much as I would like} because I've been feeling...*searches for the right word*....well, just restless. *cue Sara Evans song* It's been kind of a weird few months for me; lack of motivation with my writing, my faith, just everything. I believe I'm out of the woods now, though, and I've finally turned the page on the next chapter of my life. I'm still clearing away cobwebs, but my soul's delight is coming back to me. :-)

  And spring is in the air!



  Few things make my heart sing like the arrival of spring each year, which I enumerated on in my last post. I never feel more alive and rejuvenated than I do at this time of year. There's something about the cold, clean air and the sound of the birds singing their spring songs and the trickle of the snow melting into the saturated ground that just makes me want to sing and dance and hop all over the place. Yeah. It's awesome. :-)

  I was just thinking, it's been a while since I told y'all what I've actually been up to here in my little valley. I like the feeling of just sitting down and writing, as if to friends-- because y'all are my friends. :-)


 Thrilling is when you get to see your favorite musical group LIVE AND IN PERSON. Yikes! I still can hardly take it in that I've actually seen Celtic Woman in concert. :-) It was just the coolest thing ever. {Even if Lisa Lambe was absent...} The vintage grandeur of the theater, the lights, the enormity, the celestial sound of the whole theater filled with the music....it was just grand. They sang so many of my favorite songs, and Susan McFadden's beautifully simple Caledonia with nothing by the piano for background was one of the single most beautiful things I've ever heard.

From right: Mairead Carlon, Meav Ni- something-something, and Susan McFadden


Do you like our candids? ;-D


Mary and me
THE STAGE. Ahhhhhh.


    So after the concert we sang Celtic Woman songs to beat the band all the way back home. It was a night I'll always remember. :-)


 
    I've been listening to southern country music, reading southern books and watching southern movies, and I find myself wishing I'd been born in the south. ;-P I've recently discovered Sara Evans as a new favorite singer {and writer, surprisingly!} and so, being the impulsive whippersnapper that I am, I bought one of her CDs on the spur-of-the-moment. One of my favorites right now is Niagara.


    It feels good to indulge in some country love songs once in a while. :-)


   Oliver has been an adorable nuisance, as usual. He's very restless this time of year {aren't we all???} with spring on the horizon and spends a great deal of time standing at the deck door, contemplating whether he should go out or stay in and the meaning of life in general. I have many opportunities to use the line, "You try my patience. Make your choice." ;-D Heehee. Now that the snow's melting, the dern cat is tracking muddy footprints inside the house; but I'm so happy about spring coming {and mud! Hooray!} that I don't even mind! I love my little Oliver. 





    Well friends, I finally bought my own real cowboy hat! Being the western fanatic I am, I had to get one sooner or later. :-) And boy, is it a dandy. This fella is going to be my constant companion this summer. I've named him Mr. Cox after a certain favorite movie character o' mine. Because hats need names, ya know.



       At this moment, I am sitting on my desk, and my sister Sadie is playing a song from Atonement on the piano beside me. It's a gray and cloudy day, but achingly beautiful in an inspiring sort of way. I think I'll take a walk soon, and breathe in the fresh spring air. {Maybe even hunt for some crocuses....} Then I have a book to finish, and several to write. :-) It's wonderful to have so many things to do, isn't it?
  
    March so far has been defined by country music, South Pacific, sunshine, melting snow, good books, North and South, library visits, high school musicals, an out-of-tune b flat on the piano that's driving me crazy, talent shows and peanut butter. {Because, um, I just watched Meet Joe Black.} ;-D


"The true way to live is to enjoy every moment as it passes, and surely it is in the everyday things around us that the true beauty of life lies."
~Laura Ingalls Wilder


  I hope you all have a lovely Saturday! :-)   


P.S. I'm going to see The Imitation Game tonight! Have any of y'all seen it? I don't know a whole lot about the movie, but it's got Branson in it, so, yeah. ;-P

11 comments:

  1. This. This is such a lovely post! Your Saturday sounds absolutely divine. It's raining here and I am loving it! I'm one of those funny people who loves the rain. I need to go out and take a walk in it, because what's better than a walk when everything smells fresh and new, the air is chilly yet I only need a sweater, and spring is on its way in!! Aaahhh, bliss. :)

    How awesome that you got to see Celtic Woman! Their music is so inspiring. There's just something so calm and beautiful about it, yet it makes me unable to sit still at the same time. I love music like that.

    Also, I noticed all your Meet Joe Black pins on Pinterest and it made me want to watch that one again. Haven't seen it in years!

    Happy Saturday to you, Miss Emma. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely lovely lovely!! :D
    Celtic Women ahhhhhhhhh! You're SO lucky! they are coming here too!!
    ~Ev

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohhhhh, Celtic woman concert seems SOOOO elegant and late and chic and not-forgettable. I wish I could have been there with you. Their dresses are beautiful, and how nice that they songs you already knew - that way you could sing with them in your head (which I know you did, haha.)
    Your dress you wore is very nice, by the way. :-)

    Haha, at first I thought Mr Cox was the one - you know the weird ginger chappie - in Wives and Daughters. I thought: NO. He is NOT a favourite character of Emma's. Noooome.
    But then it was someone else and I understood. :-)

    I've never seen the Imitation game, but you have to tell me if it's good, because I'm dead curious. I know, Tom Branson is in it - that's what's making me want to watch it. (But then so is Keira Knightley, and you know I have prejudices towards that actress. :-PPP)

    ~ Naomi

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you're mostly out of the winter blues!

    March is a rather delightful month, isn't it?:)

    Haha, you say that line to your cat--that's awesome XD

    YOU GOT TO SEE CELTIC WOMEN LIVE?! Oh, you lucky thing;)

    I hope your spring continues to be pleasant:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kara,
    I love the rain too! Especially in the springtime. :-) There is nothing like the smell of spring rain on the air.

    You described Celtic Woman perfectly! It's so soothing, yet you just want to get up and dance. Oh my stars, the concert was sooooo lovely. :-)

    Yeah, I've been on kind of a Brad Pitt kick lately. ;-P I really enjoyed Meet Joe Black. It's funny, I've never liked eating peanut butter so much. Haha.

    Thank you! :-)


    Evie,
    Ooooh! Are you going to see them? I say, if they're coming anywhere near you, GO SEE THEM. There's nothing like it. :-)

    Naomi,
    I'll tell you alllll about the concert. :-) Oh, no no no, not THAT Mr. Cox. {Wow, I forgot about him.} No, this is a quirky and queer older gentleman from a certain favorite movie.

    The Imitation Game was....wow. I'll tell you about it another time. {Branson was really awesome!} Haha, PREJUDICES toward Keira Knightley. ;-P

    Arwen,
    Yes, March is absolutely delightful!

    I actually talk in movie quotes to my cat very often-- like when he's standing at the door I'll say, "Should I stay, do I dare?" or when he comes back inside, "He's back!" {from Les Mis} He's totally into it. {Duh, what else would you expect from my cat? ;-P

    YES I GOT TO SEE CELTIC WOMAN LIVE. Absolutely amazing. I'll never forget it. :-)

    A happy spring to you too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Every time I eat a spoonful of peanut butter, I hear Joe Black in my head. "Peanuh-buttuh." Sometimes I say it out loud. Such a cool movie, isn't it? With the exception of one scene. But anyway, that part where he meets the old woman and speaks to her in her patois -- beautiful and amazing and tingle-inducing, isn't it?

    Anyway, early spring sends me into a funk most years too. I go around singing "It Might as Well be Spring" and yearning for some indefinable thing and generally needing to be outside. Weirdest thing, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hamlette,
    Me too. :-) Brad Pitt is sooooo awesome in that movie. My favorite part is the scene in the coffee shop, and when they're walking away and looking back at each other....that is, until *IT* happens. And yes, the scenes in the hospital! "Goodbye, sistah." AAAHHHHHH.

    Oh my goodness, I've been singing that song too! Yeah, I'm kind of going crazy right now with spring coming on, but it's a good kind of crazy. Feels good. Yes, it's the weirdest thing. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes yes we are!! I forgot to mention it in my email! stupid me! :D SO excited!
    ~Ev

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's so great that you went to Celtic Women! I've been wanting to do that for years, but I haven't really found anyone to got with me when there is a concert (they do come to The Netherlands quite regularly)
    I did once see one of the former members of CW (Orla Fallon) perform solo which was magical! These Irish ladies are just amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, reading before dawn sounds so lovely....except I'm not a morning person. :P I'm hoping I can pull myself out of bed earlier once warm weather rolls around.

    How wonderful that you're turning the corner to your "restlessness." I know how that can feel sometimes.
    I've never had a real spring before, so this year is my first. And let me just say it is amazing! Today I went walking along our creek in the backyard (okay, walking IN it-in boots..it's not super deep) and it was so sunny and fresh and cool out. -happy sigh- We have yet to get new green leaves and flowers but all the snow is gone and I am very thankful!

    Oh!!! Celtic Woman! How exciting! I had previously only heard their version of Amazing Grace (which is beyond beautiful) but I recently picked up their Emerald cd and....wow. I love this group. Two of my new favorites are Caledonia and Dulaman. SO beautiful.

    Ha! I love the South. Something about it is so homelike, sweet, simple, and special.
    And I love (good) country music. :)
    Awww, Oliver is so cute and hahaha I love that you used that quote with him!
    That hat is so pretty and you look amazing in it. Such a good color for you! :)
    Happy first official day of spring!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Birdie,
    It was so exciting!!!! Definitely go see them if you get the chance. :-) Oooh, Orla is one of my favorites! Her harp and vocal solos are so hauntingly beautiful.

    Natalie,
    I often have trouble dragging myself from the warm covers too, so I feel you. ;-P But it helps when I know I've got a good book waiting for me. And it's SO much easier in the summer when I can wake up with the sun and watch it rise from out on the deck. Ahhh. :-)

    One of my sweetest pleasures is creek-walking in the little stream behind our woods. It's so peaceful there, and I never feel so at home anywhere else.

    Yay! A new Celtic Woman fan! :-) Oh, Caledonia is my absolute FAVORITE. Possibly my favorite song ever. I also love 'Send Me A Song'-- it's one of their older ones.

    I'll tell Oliver you said so. :-)

    Why thanks! I'm loving my cowboy hat.

    I'm glad spring is coming to you! For the first official day of spring we had a snow shower. :-( It was quite ironic. But then it melted as the day wore on and it's supposed to warm up FOR REAL soon. I couldn't be happier. :-)

    ReplyDelete

I'd love it if you'd drop me a line or two! I always enjoy receiving comments from readers and friends. I ask that you please keep your comments clean and God-honoring, and please don't write anything you wouldn't want your grandmother to read. Also, if you are commenting under anonymous, please do leave your name (or some sort of moniker so that you aren't totally nameless). Thank you so much and have a lovely day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...