Monday, February 2, 2015

Sixteen



"The great thing about getting older is that you don't lose all the other ages you've been."
~Madeline L'Engle

     So today I am sixteen. What.

     I suppose it shouldn't surprise me; after all I have been fifteen for a year, and sixteen is usually what comes next. But for some reason it feels very big. I'm a whole year older than I was last year at this time. I've done so many things I'd never done before, met people, made friendships, learned things, lived. And I feel a giddy excitement for this what my next year will hold.


   Sixteen feels like a very important birthday. I'm halfway between being a child and being a grown-up person now-- I can act older, I can learn how to drive, I can do a lot of things I've had to wait to be sixteen to do. I am also now the same age as Jane Austin's youngest heroine, Marianne Dashwood, which is a small consolation to not being the same age as Mattie Ross anymore. (Of course, I haven't been the same age as Mattie for a year. For a while I felt like I'd just always be fourteen, because Mattie Ross was fourteen, and so was I, and it was just gonna stay that way, but then it didn't.) ;-)


   I'm also the same age as Anne Shirley, which makes me happy. It also makes me feel like I have a lot to live up to in the next year, heehee.

   I'M ALMOST AN ADULT, PEOPLE. Gaahhh. It's kind of scary. Maybe I should start acting more sophisticated. But I'm still young enough that I can do silly things, and people will excuse it because, after all, "I'm sixteen." I can still stand on my desk and sing along loudly to the Wicked soundtrack. I can still act out ridiculous dramas with my stuffed animals in bed at night with my sister. I can still sing Veggie Tales songs when the mood hits. Things don't really have to change, of course. I'll always be somewhat crazy, you understand, no matter how old I get. ;-P Likely I'll still be wildly fangirling over Hornblower when I'm 30. (I can't wait!)

   Speaking of which, my sister and I were observing recently how the coolest people seem to be in their 30's. Anyone else notice that? I can't wait till I'm 30. Then maybe I'll be 'cute and interesting'. (*ahem* that's an inside joke between sisters, *ahem*)


  
 But I do have a good feeling that I'm finally learning some very important things about growing up. I'm a much more sensible person than I was two years ago-- even one year ago. I'm stronger, more resilient, and my imagination has grown by leaps and bounds. (I have several people to thank for that) :-) I've been made a better person by the good books I've read, the experiences I've had and all the friendships I've made.

  When I was younger, I kind of tried to grow up before I needed to. I remember very often being discontent with myself, trying to be someone I wasn't. I tried to grow up too fast, but I didn't know that what I needed was to grow into myself. Sometimes I didn't know how to be a child when I was one, and now I finally understand how, it's too late and I'm well on my way to being a full-blown grown-up person. (What a thought!) But I can't dwell on regrets, because that'll get me nowhere. It's all in the past and I've lived, and I'm still living, and each day is new and that's what I'm grateful for. I'm not a grown-up, not yet. I still have many years of frolicking and dreaming and wishing and prancing and all that. And even when I am older, I'll still be dreaming and wishing. I'll be dreaming and wishing my whole life. Who knows what tomorrow may bring? ;-)

Maybe a handsome man who will carry me home through a rainstorm....kidding. ;-P
   
    I have the feeling I'm really going to like being sixteen.  Then again, I haven't been any age where I actually disliked it. Fourteen and fifteen have definitely been some of the best, and now I have high hopes for sixteen. This year I hope to finish my first novel, get a role in another musical, learn how to drive...and maybe even meet my best friend in person. Yes, I have high hopes. :-)


   "....If the path set before her feet was to be narrow, she knew that flowers of quiet happiness would bloom along it. The joys of sincere work and worthy aspiration and congenial friendship were hers; nothing could rob her of her birthright of fancy or her ideal world of dreams."   
~L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

   
   Thank you, Lord, for giving me sixteen. :-)

   

18 comments:

  1. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY DEAR EMMA
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!!!

    (Do you know the origin of that song? It started with two schoolmistresses to sand 'Goodmorning' to you every morning with their class in the melody, and when it was someone's birthday then started singing 'Happy Birthday' instead of 'Goodmorning' and that's how it spread into the world.)

    Anyway!!!! HAPPPPY BIRTHDAY!!! *real confetti, not virtual*

    HAHA. Normally one is 16 after 15. Yes. Normally. Yes. Not always. Hahaha.

    No, I think Jane Austin's youngest heroine is Catharine Moorland, in the beginning. But Catherine might be 17, I'm not really sure.

    Of course. Well, on my part, I know I will be every bit as nonsensical and fangirly as I am now when (or if, because the Lord might come back before) I am 30. Well, I won't be a fanGIRL then, I'll be a fanwoman. Just as well. :-)

    Happpy birthday! (Yes, I AM kind of overusing those two words lately. :-)

    ~ Naomi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emma, dear... A very happy and blessed birthday to you! Sweet sixteen...my favourite year {so far}! Now I'm finally an adult...how strange it feels! And I can tell you, I haven't quite yet left all my childhood fantasies behind me! May your year of being sixteen be so beautiful and a wonderful time of growth for you, both as a person and as a writer! Hugs to you and many blessings:). Thank you for lovely post - how in enjoyed it! Kelly-Anne xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely post!
    Happy birthday! May God fill your big day with every grace and blessing! I cannot wait until I turn 16 this year, but also dread it!
    (Maybe at least a handsome man like Roy Gardener will lend you his umbrella and assistance in the rain!)

    ReplyDelete

  4. Naomi,
    Heehee. Thank you. :-) I didn't know that about the song! How interesting! You are always full of interesting "did-you-knows". ;-P

    Oh yeah, forgot about Catherine. I'm not sure how old she is. She's adorable-- I love how wild her imagination is. Reminds me of someone....*ahem* Who, me? Surely not!

    Kelly-Anne,
    Aww, thank you so much! You're so very sweet. :-) I really appreciate your kind wishes!

    Sarah,
    Thanks! Oh, so you'll be sixteen too! Don't dread it-- I've been sixteen for several hours already and I think it's fun. ;-)
    Oh dear, I can't seem to remember who Roy Gardener is....the name sounds familiar. Refresh my memory?

    ~Emma

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy birthday dear Emma! Have a splendiferous day!
    Love,
    Sadie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have a happy birthday!
    I always think of sixteen as the Liesel year, haha, so perhaps someone might dance with you in the rain rather than rescuing you. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello! I found you through the Wonderland Creek blog and am enjoying your posts. :) Happy birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations!! Happy Sixteen!

    Approaching fifty now, I can't even really remember what I was doing at sixteen. It might have been the year I went to Europe for a student ambassador program.

    Well, I guess that's a recommendation for keeping a diary. :)

    ReplyDelete

  9. Happy "Sweet Sixteen" Birthday, Emma!!!

    Enjoy every moment, Cherish every day, Laugh a lot, Take lots of pictures, and hold fast to all your Dreams!!!

    God Bless You!!! Happy Birthday!!! Net
    Psalm 37:4

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Birthday Emma, I hope you have a wonderful day, make great memories and enjoy every minute, time flies very quickly !.

    Blessings,

    ReplyDelete
  11. The happiest of birthdays to you, Emma!
    Sixteen is now nearly three years away from me now (wow, does that sound like a long time....but it certainly does not feel like it! : ) ) but it was my best birthday EVER as it was the birthday I got my horse!! And unless I get a fiance someday or a real western ranch I can't imagine ANYTHING better! Anyway, be aware that not only is it a "magical" year in books, it can be one in real life too. :)

    Éowyn

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awwww, you guys! Thank you all so much for your kind birthday wishes! You've all helped make my day so very special. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy Belated Birthday Emma!!!! Hope your day was fabulous! gosh I'm 17 going on 18 that makes me feel so oooooold

    ReplyDelete
  14. The very happiest of happy birthdays to you, dear Emma!! It's been such a delight getting to 'know' you and I'm greatly looking forward to what this next year will bring! :) May God bless you richly!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sixteen was a turning point for me. I started making more decisions about my appearance -- got my ears pierced, grew out my bangs, and got contacts -- and my parents started allowing me to make more decisions about other things in my life too, like whether I wanted to keep taking music and art lessons or not.

    Enjoy this year! It's a good one :-)

    Also, I've nominated you for the Blogger Recognition Award -- details are here :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy birthday! I hope it was terrific:D

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hamlette,
    Thank you! I actually got my ears pierced on my birthday-- we have to wait until we're sixteen, so it was pretty exciting. (It hurt.) ;-P
    And thanks for nominating me! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. First of all, Happy Birthday!!! And second of all, I LOVE that quote at the beginning of your post. I've never thought of it like that.
    Your post resonates with me so much! When I was younger, I too, always wished to be older and couldn't wait to be a teenager. Then once I actually WAS a teenager I wished time wouldn't go so fast! When I turned 15 I was actually almost despondent about it! I was much happier and content when I turned 16. I guess I learned you can't stay in a certain time of your life but you have to enjoy and cherish each moment as it comes. I'm still learning to do that, though!
    Anyways, happy sweet sixteen to you! I love the age 16 too-I'm trying NOT to think about the fact that in less than half a year I'll be 17.... :( How can you sing "Sixteen going on Seventeen" wen you ARE 17?? ;)
    Happy Birthday!!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love it if you'd drop me a line or two! I always enjoy receiving comments from readers and friends. I ask that you please keep your comments clean and God-honoring, and please don't write anything you wouldn't want your grandmother to read. Also, if you are commenting under anonymous, please do leave your name (or some sort of moniker so that you aren't totally nameless). Thank you so much and have a lovely day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...