Tuesday, February 17, 2015

"I have been changed....for good."



      "There is something delicious about writing the first few words of a story. You can never quite tell where they'll take you."    ~Beatrix Potter


    When I penned the first few words of my first blog post, I had no idea where they'd take me. I had a vague idea of where I wanted to go, but the most exciting part was the not knowing. The beginning of the adventure, the anticipation of what might lie ahead.

    Today, my friends, is the two-year mark of a very special milestone in my life. At least, to me it has been very special. It's been inspiring, uplifting, amusing, encouraging, enlightening, interesting, and terribly fun. On this day two years ago, I got on the computer, clicked "Create Blog", and in many ways, changed my life forever. And let me tell you, that change has definitely been for the good.

    I'm guessing you've probably all heard the story of how I started blogging many times (in case you haven't, you can read my ramblings right about here), so I won't bore you by telling it all again. But I will say again that it was a huge step for me. 

    Emma was never into computers or blogs-- in fact, she spent most of her life blissfully unaware of what a blog even was. One day, however, as she and her sister were looking at pictures from a certain favorite movie of theirs for no apparent reason, they stumbled across a lovely blog called Old-Fashioned Charm which had pictures from Anne of Green Gables on the header, and they were immediately intrigued. From there, Emma discovered all sorts of other period-drama themed blogs-- who knew there were other people out there who were as nuts as she was? Something sparked inside her. And suddenly, she knew she wanted to do this. She knew she had found her niche, and so that February day in 2013, she held her breath, took the plunge, and has never looked back since.


   As if I haven't said this before enough times, I love blogging. LOVE it. It's one of the best decisions I ever made to start this blog, and it makes me grin every time I think about my first few months of blogging; my silly posts, my inexperience, my wild ecstasy when I saw someone had followed me! Back in those days, everything was so exciting. It's still exciting, of course, and it always will be. But all of you who write blogs know exactly how thrilling it is when you first start out. It's like opening a whole new world {cue Disney music} of imagination, interests, even friends.


   Friends, Possibly the very best thing about blogging. Now, if you're like me, you probably always thought the idea of "meeting" someone and cultivating a friendship all through the internet was pretty far-out. Like, who does that? Well friends, let me tell you, that's wrong! It can happen. I've discovered that people can become great friends through correspondence over the internet. It's happened to me several times over. *wink-wink* I love all my readers, my blogging buddies, and so many have become more than just blogger-friends but actually real-life deep-down kindred spirits. Really, kindred spirits are not as scarce as I used to think. It's delightful to know there are so many in the world. :-)


    I feel like this year, I've really grown into myself and discovered more about who I really am, and where I want to go, and where God is leading me. I hope that shows through here on my blog. I know I've changed a lot since I began blogging two years ago, and looking back at my old posts is both amusing and a little embarrassing. (Sometimes it's like, what was I thinking?) ;-P For the Beauty of the Earth has come such a loooong way from what it began as, which was a young girl's dream to be just like the other bloggers she admired so much. For one thing, I'm not trying to be anyone else anymore. Of course I still admire so many people, who have given me inspiration and encouragement; I love and appreciate you all. But I've learned that if I try to make my blog and my writing, and even my very personality, like someone else's, it just plain won't work. I'm me, and you're you, and aren't we glad of the fact? :-)


  I know my blog reflects a lot of how I've matured in the past two years; some good, some not so good. In many ways I'm a very different person than I was. But I've never considered chucking it all and beginning afresh, because I never want to lose all those tokens of my gushing early-teen years. Sometimes I wonder what the people who've read my blog all along think-- it's super different from what it was. But I'm happy as a lark with my progress. I hope you are too. :-)

   So many wonderful young ladies have inspired and influenced me and "changed me for the better" in my blogging career. I'll always be extremely grateful to the first three girls who inspired me to blog: Miss Laurie, Miss Amy Dashwood, and Alexandra. If you're reading this, I want you to know how much I appreciate you! You've all three made a huge impression upon this starry-eyed little girl. :-)

  And thank YOU, all my wonderful readers! I seriously would not be doing what I do today without all of you. I know I've said that countless times, but I just want you to know. :-) You all are the best, and I'm so grateful for all your kind comments and your friendship. *blows kisses*


    I have been so blessed in this last year of blogging. God has been so good. I'm so glad to be able to do what I love! Thank you all for sticking around with me! Here's to another splendiferous year! :-)

5 comments:

  1. Oh, it's today!!!! Happy second birthday, my favourite blog!

    Yes, me too. When I first started blogging I was just trying to be like all the other bloggers. Now... nome. I just write ME. And you do too, and that's why I just adore your blog.

    Haha. The *wink wink* was for me. :-) Don't ask me how I knew. :-P

    ~ Naomi

    PS YOUR BLOG LOOK I LOVE IT LOVE IT LIKE SO MUCH AHHH

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely, lovely post, Emma!! And congratulations! :) I so enjoy and have been blessed through your writing and sharing and can't wait to see what this next year brings!

    ReplyDelete
  3. P.S. Forgot to say I LOVE the new blog design! So fresh and pretty and delightful... :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy blogoversary a few days late :-) Isn't it a splendid pastime? Fulfilling and creative and just plain fun. Here's to many more years spent in such a delightful way!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment is shamefully late, but I had to congratulate you on you blog anniversary! How wonderful!! :)

    ReplyDelete

I'd love it if you'd drop me a line or two! I always enjoy receiving comments from readers and friends. I ask that you please keep your comments clean and God-honoring, and please don't write anything you wouldn't want your grandmother to read. Also, if you are commenting under anonymous, please do leave your name (or some sort of moniker so that you aren't totally nameless). Thank you so much and have a lovely day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...