Wednesday, January 21, 2015

The Very Best of Birthdays to the Very Best of Friends




    Today, my friends, is the birthday of a very special girl. Today my bestie dearest, kindred soul and bosom friend Naomi is sixteen years old! *virtual confetti* Happy birthday, Naomi!

  The friendship Naomi and I share has come up many times here on my blog, so I imagine you're all familiar with her to some extent. Most of you have probably visited her blog Wonderland Creek. Some of you know her very well. Well, friends, I want to tell you the story of how I came to know this girl, and how we came to be such dear friends. So pull up a chair, make yourself comfortable, and I'll tell you. :-)


~How it all Began~

   It was the winter of 2014. I was fourteen, a happy little blogger just going along my merry way of my happy little life, when one day a girl named Naomi left a comment on one of my posts. I didn't think much of it, merely thanked her and thought, oh, there's a nice girl. Then Naomi commented again, and again, and I realized, hey, this person is actually interested in my writing! How splendid! But for a long time, Naomi was still a mystery to me. Gradually I began to learn things about her-- she liked Pride and Prejudice (the 95 version of course, not the 2005 rot), she spelled favorite with a 'U', and she loved English Country dancing. Then came the discovery that Lynn Austin was her favorite author, AND she watched Downton Abbey, and I thought, alright. Who IS this girl?!?

  Then, in March, I hosted an event here. A Period Drama Fashion Week. (Y'all remember that. This is just a very important part of the story.) Naomi gushed incorrigibly in the comments-- being the fan of period fashion that she is-- and I invited her to guest post for the event. That was how the emails started. She emailed me, at my suggestion, I emailed back....and we've never stopped since. :-)


    Sometimes, a friendship takes years and years and eons to develop. Sometimes it comes from two people who've been around each other for a long time, but never really knew the other person. Or, it can happen like a bolt of lightning-- almost all at once, before you even know what's happening. That's the way it was with Naomi and I. We clicked immediately. When we began writing to each other, we discovered just how much we have in common, which is really a startling lot. We're both writers. We're both crazy fangirls. (The question of which of us is the crazier is open to debate.)We both have lots of ambitions, huge dreams, things we want to accomplish. We're both remarkably silly girls. The more we emailed, the more we liked each other, the more we wanted to know about each other. And then suddenly, it happened: we had become bosom friends.


   Naomi is a gem, people. And I'm not just saying that because she's my best friend, although that does automatically make her an awesome person. She really is one amazing girl. She's kind, enthusiastic, passionate, and talking to her is never dull. Naomi is anything but dull. :-) She's also an amazingly talented writer, and the best critic I could ask for to read what I write. She's a wealth of information-- if there's anything I don't know about literature, period dramas, anything like that, chances are Naomi does. Between the two of us, we pretty much cover most things.


   Naomi is also a good listener. By that, I mean she is very patient with me and puts up with my rambling on and on about westerns and other things she doesn't particularly care about. She's an awfully good sport, that girl. :-) As much as we DO have in common, Naomi and I don't agree on everything-- such as P&P, the Waltons, Les Mis. We're actually very different in some ways. But that's what makes friendship so beautiful: people who are different finding joy in one another through the ways that they are the same, as well as the ways they can learn from each other. And oh, how much I've learned from Naomi in this last year. I've never had such a good friend, and I've never known anyone quite like her. (Because, duh, there IS no one like my dear Alice.) She's inspired me so many times, made me laugh so much, given me so much to be happy about. I'm eternally grateful to God for giving me the blessing of such a wonderful friend.


    
  Some people think it's strange that I can have a best friend whom I've never met in person. They say, "Well, if she lives in Belgium, and you've never actually met her, how can she be your best friend?" I know it might sound far-out, getting to know someone so well over something as wild as the world-wide web, but hey-- miracles happen. They happen more often than people realize. No, I haven't met my best friend in real life. Yes, she lives miles and miles and an ocean away from me. And yet, I'm closer to her than just about anyone else. Writing to a person can bring you even closer than talking to that person face-to-face, I think, and I've found it to be true. Through our emails and our letters, I've really gotten to know who Naomi is, and she knows who I am. And that is how we became the bosom friends we are now.


   Of course, we have dreams of meeting each other one day. It WILL happen, we believe. It may even happen much sooner than we think (isn't that a delightfully giddy notion!) When the Lord wants us to meet each other, He'll make it possible. So we wait. And dream. And giggle. And talk about all the awesome things we'll do and how much noise we're going to make and how much of a mess we're going to make on Naomi's bedroom floor making scrapbooks....um, I made that part up. ;-P


    Seriously, my life has been made so much brighter, so much more interesting, and incredibly blessed since I've known Naomi. She's a truly wonderful girl, and the dearest friend anyone could ask for. I know everyone says that about their best friend, and I suppose it's true in everyone's case, but seriously guys-- I have the best friend ever. :-)


I've heard it said, that people come into our lives for a reason
And we are led to those who help us most to grow
If we let them, and we help them in return
Well, I don't know if I believe that's true
But I know I'm who I am today because I knew you....
So much of me is made from what I've learned from you,
You'll be with me like a handprint on my heart...
And now whatever way our stories end,
I know you have re-written mine by being my friend.

   Happy birthday, Naomi!!!!
   

15 comments:

  1. THIS.

    GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

    THIS IS JUST THE SWEETEST THING EVER!!!

    I can't say much more than that at the moment - I'm just so completely blown away by this post. Gah, you're a darling. Gah, this is nice of you. Ohmystars this is SWEET.

    THANK YOU SO MUCH VIOLET YOU ARE THE BESTEST OF THE BESTEST GAH WHAT WOULD I DO WITHOUT YOU. (Bad vocabulary there, but hey, it emphasises my emotion. And yes, this is just so sweet I'm on the point of crying and trembling happily. You are so filled with nice-ness THANKS THANKS THANKS.)

    I'm off to read it once again and comment throughout.

    HAHAHA. "The 2005 rot." Never did one speak a truer word. :-)And HAHA, how I spell favourite. :-)
    Oh my dear... how I gushed over your Period Drama Fashion Week posts (but not 'incorrigibly', dear - remember all my old typos :-), oh and REMEMBER OUR FIRST EMAILS. They were so weird and young and fresh. They make me laugh. :-)
    I know, right! Our friendship was like, snap, there, we're besties. And I'll NUVVER change my opinion on you, not even if you say you're a boy. :-P
    Mmm. Which of us is the craziest fangirl? ME. :-) Come on. Let us debate. :-P

    AHHHH. Here come all the compliments that make me have colds!!! *in a squeaky voice* ohmydear,thisistoomuchforme. You're making my sixteenth birthday the best one so far.
    I know, right!! Together, we're just SUCH smart people. Separately too, of course. :-)

    AWWWWWWW.
    This is just so amazingly amazing, this post is.
    I JUST CAN'T TAKE IT IN.

    YES!!! We will make mess in my room and make scrapbooks together. I like that idea!

    AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW.
    Seriously, I'm 'awww-ing' SO much. It's just sooooo golden and heart-quivering and amazing and LOVE IT.
    (Heehee, I said 'golden.')

    Again, THANKS Violet. I WILL NEVER FORGET THIS POST.

    Love, Naomi xxxxx

    PS Your letter arrived today! And guess what? I got nine letters from several of my favourite FICTIONAL characters! Who would've ever thought it! I KNEW they were real!!!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh and I have to say something, before the second of Feb.

    I AM OLDER THAN YOU.

    Okay, that wasn't as fun as I had imagined. Hahaha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi girls! Sorry to butt in all of your loveliness (happy birthday Naomi!) but I just had to say that I too started talking to my best friend online via email, and met her a few years after our correspondence started, and I can tell you our friendship is one of the strongest, funnest, most supportive and loving of my whole life!! Hold on to what you have, you will meet one day, and never leave each other's lives!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alice dear,

    :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)

    I just wanted you to know how much I'm smiling right now. :-)

    Ohhh, I am SO pleased your birthday letter arrived in time!!!! I was so afraid it wouldn't, and now it's just perfect. And how nice to get cards from your fictional friends! I bet you didn't expect THAT, did you? :-)

    Awwww. You're so welcome for everything, dear friend. I'm so glad I made you cry. :-) Your comment made me exceedingly happy, and reminded me of old times-- YES OF COURSE I remember our first emails! In fact I was just reading through some of them yesterday. We were so funny! Remember, you told me what a lovely Jane Austen-ish name I have. ;-P

    I'm so happy I made your day special. That makes ME feel golden and heart-quivery, and everything else you said. :-)

    ~Violet

    P.S. You're older than me! Ahhh! Does this mean you have the right to be bossier than normal? ;-P Haha, just kidding.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, I remember that. I thought Emma Jane was a pen-name, remember? Ah, it's fun looking back, because that means we're 'old friends.' ;-P

    Haha, me? BossIER?!?! Is that possible? :-P

    ~ Naomi

    PS I just finished the first episode of P&P. I'm.so.in.love.again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I met my best friend on the internet too, and also thanks to our blogs. I love the internet!!! We're only separated by a continent, not an ocean, but we never would have met if not for the internet. It's a magical place ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. HAPPY BIRTHDAY NAOMI!
    Emma this is so so sweet!! I recognise those Anne and Diana GIFs :P

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aw, you are so sweet, Emma! I don't think it's weird to have a best friend who lives waaaaaay far away from you! I think it's special. Anyways, I couldn't help but smile when I noticed in the comments how you call each other Alice and Violet. Let me guess...is Alice from Wonderland Creek (the book by Lynn Austin) and is Violet from A Proper Pursuit? Because I LOVE, LOVE, LOOOOOOVE both of those books! (As a matter of fact, I just got finished reading it three days ago for the second time.) Anyways, you both are such dears. HAPPY BIRTHDAY NAOMI! I hope your days if filled with wonder-ness. (Okay, that was not a word. But anyways.)

    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Okay, so apparently it isn't uncommon to meet your best friend through the internet! Thanks, Lana and Hamlette!

    Evie,
    Heehee, yes, I knew you'd recognize the gifs. I just had to use them all-- they're so sweet. :-)

    Katie,
    Hear, hear! I think it's a marvelously special thing too to have an 'ocean friend', as Naomi and I like to call each other. Yes, you guessed it! She's Alice and I'm Violet. We LOVE those books. LOVE LOVE LOVE. I've read them both about three times. ;-P
    Thanks so much for your sweet comment!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for all your birthday wishes everyone! And Kaitlyn, you guessed it about our nicknames. We were reading those books when we emailed first, and that's where it got stuck. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is such a sweet post!!!!!! You two are adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I reread this post today and almost cried.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You did?!? I just re-read it the other day! And the one you wrote for me. :-) I love that we have these coincidences so often.

      Delete
    2. I read the one I wrote for you the other day TOO! We really DO share half a brain.

      Delete

I'd love it if you'd drop me a line or two! I always enjoy receiving comments from readers and friends. I ask that you please keep your comments clean and God-honoring, and please don't write anything you wouldn't want your grandmother to read. Also, if you are commenting under anonymous, please do leave your name (or some sort of moniker so that you aren't totally nameless). Thank you so much and have a lovely day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...