Saturday, January 3, 2015

Ambition



“Oh, it's delightful to have ambitions. I'm so glad I have such a lot. And there never seems to be any end to them-- that's the best of it. Just as soon as you attain to one ambition you see another one glittering higher up still. It does make life so interesting.” ~ Anne of Green Gables

   I have so many ambitions. So many things I want to do in this life, so many things to accomplish, experience, see, do. Really, it's quite staggering. But, like Anne says, it's also delightful. There's no end to them, and they sure do make life so interesting. :-) 

   I want to write. To capture the fullness and the beauty of life in words that aptly express what I feel, what I want my readers to feel. I want to laugh, to live life fully, to miss nothing of the beauty that God has given us to enjoy. I want to see all the things I've only dreamed about, to experience the kind of excitement I've only read about in books. I want to love boundlessly, to hold nothing back. And someday, I want to find a man who loves me in a way I can only imagine right at this moment. I want to meet my best friend, the girl whose sweet and witty personality I know so well but whom I have never seen face-to-face. I want to live up to people's expectations of me. I want to live up to my own expectations of myself. But above all that, I want to be the girl God created and envisioned me to be.

  Those are all long-term goals-- things I'll probably be working for all my life. I'm not the best I can be right now at this moment. Rome wasn't built in a day, you know. Ambitions take time and effort to come true. You always have to work for what you want, but the thing about that is it's always worth it if it's meant to be. In the past months, I've been feeling that more than ever in my writing. I know this is God's destiny for me, what I was born to be doing. I'm shackled to it. With a gift such as this, I know I not only have the privilege of enjoying it and putting it to good use, but the obligation to do so. I'll be working at this my whole life, I know, but that's the wonder of it. All beautiful things take time to grow and mature to reach their full potential. So will I, I know. And I'm so excited, for who knows what the journey may have in store along the way? In a way I'm very glad I don't, because then it wouldn't be near so interesting. :-)


   And so I will continue to work at all these things; not only writing, but just living. And someday I will look back fondly and see what a glorious journey it was.

Surely I know the plans I have for you, says the LORD; plans for your welfare and not for harm, to give you a future with HOPE.    ~Jeremiah 29:11

7 comments:

  1. Delightful post, Emma. I feel a lot the same about ambitions. There are so many, and it gets overwhelming times, but it's also very exciting and interesting. Good luck, and I hope that you become a successful writer. (-:
    ~Lizzy

    ReplyDelete
  2. You write with SUCH sway and elegance, 'm dear. Jealous.

    (wow I haven't called you 'm dear for ages!)

    Heehee, I just talked about this in my last email, kind of. Tell me I inspired you to write this post. *Pretty Please?*

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, and what you said about your best friend. She's so lucky to have these compliments. *sniff*

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lizzy,
    Aw, thank you so much. That really means a lot to me. :-)

    Naomi,
    Well, you didn't exactly inspire this particular post, as much as you just inspire me in general. :-) To tell the truth, I wrote this on the spur of the moment, without really knowing where it was going. (As Margaret Mitchell says, "in a moment of weakness".)
    Yes, my best friend is a very dear girl indeed. and I am who I am in large part because of her. :-)
    And thank you for the compliment! I know you really mean it, which makes it mean even more to me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful post, Emma! I greatly enjoyed it. :) One thing I have been thinking about (and learning) lately is that for Dreams to become Goals you usually must have these things called Plans, which said things can be both steadying and frustrating! Anyway, you perfectly captured some feelings that can be rather overwhelming/confusing to sort out sometimes. :) Have a lovely afternoon writing or whatever you happen to be doing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh how I love Anne. <3 Great post!

    Sarah
    http://imsarahgrace.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a lovely and encouraging post, Emma Jane!!! Thank you for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete

I'd love it if you'd drop me a line or two! I always enjoy receiving comments from readers and friends. I ask that you please keep your comments clean and God-honoring, and please don't write anything you wouldn't want your grandmother to read. Also, if you are commenting under anonymous, please do leave your name (or some sort of moniker so that you aren't totally nameless). Thank you so much and have a lovely day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...