Friday, November 28, 2014

The big long Les Mis picture post

An awesome picture of Valjean to show up on your dashboard. ;-P

  And here are the pictures from the show, as promised!

   Let's start at the very beginning: the chain gang....

This was onstage before the show started. They always did a kind of aerobics workout before the curtain went up, to get themselves tired out. It was pretty hilarious. :-)

"Look down, look down, you'll always be a slave
Look down, look down, you're standing in your grave!"
Valjean and the Bishop
Fantine and the foreman doing their customary dance routine behind the backdrop during "At the End of the Day".


Fantine being very un-Fantine-like. ;-P

"What is this fighting all about?
Will someone tear these two apart
This is a factory, not a circus!"


Fantine singing "I Dreamed a Dream"
Javert at the docks
"Who am I? Can I conceal myself for evermore?
Pretend I'm not the man I was before?
My soul belongs to God, I know,
I made that bargain long ago.
He gave me hope when hope was gone,
He gave me strength to journey on...
Who am I? Who am I?
I'm Jean Valjean!"
The Confrontation.....ohhhhh it was so good!
"Her child will live within my care...."

"There is a castle on a cloud
I like to go there in my sleep"
There were two girls who alternated playing little Cosette-- here's the other one.
"Now look who's here! The little madam herself!
Pretending once again she's been so awfully good"
Thenardier singing "Master of the House".....I was always backstage losing it during this scene. ;-P


Madam Thenardier
"Dear Fantine, gone to rest,
Have we done for her child what is best?
Shared our bread, shared each bone
Treated her like she's one of our own!
Like our own, monsieur!"


"Another brawl in the square, another stink in the air!
Was there a witness to this? Well, let him speak to Javert!"


Cosette and Valjean during the Robbery


Javert during "Stars"

   Gavroche and I were always backstage together during Stars because we went on right after, so while Javert was singing we made up hand motions to go with the words. I think the stage hands thought we were pretty weird. 


"That inspector thinks he's something,
But it's me who runs this town
And my theater never closes
And my curtain's never down.
Trust Gavroche, have no fear
You can always find me here."

And there's me!!! 


"You see, I told you so
There's lots of things I know
'Ponine, she knows her way around."

Grantaire singing during the ABC café
Haha, look at Grantaire.
"Red, the blood of angry men
Black, the dark of ages past
Red, a world about to dawn,
Black, the night that ends at last!"


"When the beating of your heart, echoes the beating of the drums
There is a life about to start when tomorrow comes!"

She's wearing my lace gloves. ;-P
Valjean and Cosette in "In My Life". At the first show, during Fantine's death Valjen accidentally called her Cosette, and then a few nights later when he came in for In My Life he said, "Dear Fantine, you're such a lonely child..." We were backstage going, "Noooo!" Then someone suggested that maybe Fantine and Cosette ought to wear name tags.


"A Heart Full of Love"


   During this scene at the last show, one of the other guys was backstage doing all sorts of funny things trying to make us laugh. It wasn't so bad for Marius and Cosette, because they're supposed to be smiling anyway (which is a good thing, because Marius never would have been able to keep it in :-)), but I'm standing there at the gate looking heartbroken, and it was VERY hard not to laugh. But I kept in character. :-) There was another time when Enjolras was backstage aiming the gun right at me, but I paid him no mind. You can't break Eponine's character. :-)


"He was never mine to lose
Why regret what could not be?
These are words he'll never say,
Not to me"


Thenardier's gang in the Attack on Rue Plumet. This was a fun scene. :-) The gang pushed and shoved me around, but then I got to push and shove them so it was all good.


"I'm gonna scream, I'm gonna warn them here!"


I got to scream. It was purty epic. :-)


"It was your cry sent them away
Once more, 'Ponine, saving the day!"


Javert during "One Day More"


One of the Gavroches (there were two that alternated) waving the flag during "One Day More"


  For One Day More we did this sort of march thing-- known as the 'awkward march'-- where we stepped forward and then back again, but when we first started practicing with the orchestra it was really hard to keep on the beat because they would slow down at parts and we would get off and it was just....awkward. There was a chronic problem for a while about the orchestra being too slow, but it got worked out. When we sang, "Tomorrow we'll discover what our God in heave has in store....", someone said, "At this rate, we won't make it to tomorrow." ;-P


"One more dawn, one more day,
ONE DAY MORE!"

Oh, the feels!!!

And here's me singing "On My Own"


"And now I'm all alone again, nowhere to turn, no one to go to
Without a home, without a friend, without a face to say hello to,
And now the night is near,
Now I can make believe he's here."

  At the beginning of my song, I had to walk on the turntable while it was moving around, which was sort of weird at first, but I got used to it. However, one night, when it was supposed to stop turning, it just kept going! I stepped off, but it kept revolving almost until halfway through the song, and the curtain was getting all messed up because of it, and then because it had revolved too far they had to bring it back to where it was. It was a leetle distracting, but I hope I didn't show it.




Gavroche on the barricade


"Liar!"



The other Gavroche


"Don't you fret, M'sieur Marius
I don't feel any pain
A little fall of rain can hardly hurt me now
You're here, that's all I need to know."


This is a moment I will never forget. :-)


"You are wrong, and always have been wrong
I'm a man, no worse than any man"

Gahhhhhh I love this part. :-)


Another picture of Valjean and the gunsmoke. We used antique rifles, which were really cool, and they gave off actual smoke, which was even cooler. They were also really super loud. I jumped every single time. :-)


"If I die, let me die!
Let him live, bring him home
Bring him home"



Javert's suicide, one of my favorite parts in the show! And he was absolutely phenomenal.


"I am reaching, but I fall
And the stars are black and cold
As I stare into the void
Of a world that cannot hold
I'll escape now from that world,
From the world of Jean Valjean
There is nowhere I can turn,
There is no way to go ONNNNNN!!!!!!!"


"There lived a man whose name was Jean Valjean
He stole some bread to save his sister's son,
For nineteen winters served his time
In sweat he washed away his crime...."

This is one of my three favorite parts in the whole show, together with Valjean's releasing Javert from the barricade and Fantine's confession at the docks. *sigh* It just all gives me chills.


The wedding....look at Thenardier's face. ;-P




"Ain't it a laugh, ain't it a treat!
Hob-nobbing here among the elite
There goes a prince, there goes a Jew
This one's a queer, but what can you do?"

Both the Thenardiers were just fabulous. :-)


"Alone I wait in the shadows
And count the hours till I can sleep
I dreamed a dream Cosette stood by,
it made her weep to know I die."

He did SUCH a good job at making himself look old. By the end of the show, he looked ready to die. ;-P

"You will live, Papa, you're going to live!
It's too soon, too soon to say goodbye."


"Yes, Cosette, forbid me now to die
I'll obey, I will try."

Annnnnd the curtain call:


The ABC students


Enjolras


Marius and Cosette


Eponine! :-)


Fantine


Javert


And the great Valjean. :-)






"Do you hear the people sing? Lost in the valley of the night
It is the music of a people who are climbing to the light
For the wretched of the earth there is a flame that never dies
Even the darkest night will end and the sun will rise!"

And that's all! I hope you've enjoyed a peek of our production of Les Miserables!

6 comments:

  1. Oh. My.

    This is amazing. This post actually almost convinced me to like les Mis. Almost.

    Things I though whilst reading this post:
    1) I love your hair in the dying scene.
    2) Little Cosette's big shoes made me laugh. :-)
    3) How kind of you to lend Cosette your lace gloves.
    4)Grown-up Cosette has some lovely costumes! Those puffed sleeves! Anne would approve. I also love all the men's costumes. It's so real. :-)
    5) Gavroche and You making up hand signs... haha.
    6) Wow, I would have promptly laughed if people backstage were doing silly things. I'm SO bad at trying-not-to-laugh.
    7) Jean Valjean looks really good.
    8) SO. AMAZING.
    9) WELL. DONE.
    10) I WISH I HAD BEEN THERE!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, this is great! Thanks so much for sharing this-it looks absolutely fantastic! Wish I could have seen it in real life! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, started following your blog when I followed Heidi's link at Along the Brandywine to your interview with her.

    I've enjoyed your Les Mis posts. It's a great story. I haven't read the book and prior to just a few years ago the only adaptation I had seen was the 1978 one with Richard Jordan & Anthony Perkins. But it was a non-musical version.

    Saw the musical film back in 2012 and absolutely loved it. Then the local theater did a production of it this summer, which was also very well done.

    Looks like you had a great time in the production. Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my word!!! This looks absolutely fantastic!!! I wish there was a way I could have seen it in person...which of course wouldn't have worked. (Because I live in Nebraska.) But I still wish. By the way, my name is Katie, and I found your blog off of Naomi's "Wonderland Creek." I've been loving both of your blogs so much!!! Anyways, just thought I'd introduce myself so you'd know who I am. :)

    All that to say...Les Miserables looks SO good! I bet you had a ton of fun! :)

    ~<>~Katie~<>~
    wingslikeaneagle.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks so wonderful!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness, you were in Les Mis, and as Eponine!!! (that is literally one of my dreams. :) )

    ReplyDelete

I'd love it if you'd drop me a line or two! I always enjoy receiving comments from readers and friends. I ask that you please keep your comments clean and God-honoring, and please don't write anything you wouldn't want your grandmother to read. Also, if you are commenting under anonymous, please do leave your name (or some sort of moniker so that you aren't totally nameless). Thank you so much and have a lovely day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...