Friday, October 17, 2014

"Her name was Eponine..."


  *Long-winded intro to the big news*

  You may be aware of the fact that I am a Les Mis fan. An ardent one.

  Les Miserables is my favorite musical, and rapidly becoming one of my favorite stories. I love the music, the characters, the drama-- everything about it is just so epic. It's the greatest musical ever written, in my own not-so-humble opinion, and I love it. To death.

  Of course, it wasn't always like this-- believe it or not, there was a time when I was indifferent to the musical (perish the thought!) But we're not going to go into the whole backstory of my Les Mis indoctrination right now, because that would take too long and probably bore you all to an early death, and I certainly wouldn't wish that. Suffice to say, I have joined the ranks of the Miserables. I am officially obsessed. And, like so many other Les Mis fans, it's long been a dream of mine to actually be in the show-- to be part of the story, to actually sing the songs with other actors instead of just singing the whole thing through by myself while I'm cleaning the house and washing dishes (which gets pretty hard when you're trying to do two or three parts all at once). Well, my friends, the purpose of this post is to tell you something exciting that I've been waiting to divulge, something I'm so thrilled about that I'm just about ready to burst at the seams. My dream has come true. I'M IN LES MISERABLES.


   And the best part (which you've probably already guessed, given the title of this post and the considerable hint I slipped in another recent post, and since I know you're all pretty bright)....is.....*drumroll*


I'M EPONINE!!!!!


  Yes, it's true! I'm playing Eponine Thenardier in a local college production of Les Miserables! This is one of the most exciting things that's ever happened to me: playing one of my favorite roles in my favorite musical. It's always been a dream of mine to be in a musical, but being homeschooled, one doesn't have the opportunities to do it as often. So when I heard last spring that our community college was putting on Les Miserables in the fall, I was there. :-)


    I feel so blessed to be playing this role! I'm so terribly excited about it. A first it seemed almost unreal that I'd gotten the part-- I've never been in anything so big as this before, and I'm about ten years younger than most of the rest of the cast. It's so awesome being a part of a show like this, and I'm so thrilled to be a lead. ;-P It's been challenging, but I'm loving it.


"That's Eponine, she knows her way about
Only a kid, but hard to scare"


"....Anywhere where he is
If he asked, I'd be his."

"One more day all on my own
One more day with him not caring!
What a life I might have known
But he never saw me there!"

"....without a home, without a friend, without a face to say hello to
And now the night is near, now I can make believe he's here."
"Took the letter like you said,
I met her father at the door.
He said he would give it,
I don't think I can stand anymore."
"Don't you fret, M'siuer Marius, I don't feel any pain
A little fall of rain can hardly hurt me now
You're here, that's all I need to know."

"Take my hand, I'll lead you to salvation
Take my love, for love is everlasting
And remember the truth that once was spoken
To love another person is to see the face of God."




   This is going to be so awesome! There are eleven performances in all, and the show opens IN LESS THAN A MONTH. Eeeek!!!!! It might get pretty tiresome to live with me for the next few weeks, since the Les Mis syndrome has officially set in and I've been singing the show 24/7. And it's only going to get worse, mark my words. But that's just what happens when you're in Les Miserables. :-)

Have you ever been in a musical before?
Have you ever seen Les Miserables live?

9 comments:

  1. CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!! How terrifically exciting! I am very very very jealous right now. :) Will you be posting pictures from the show?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes, this. I'm so proud that I know about this for about a month already. It's just. Nice.

    I'm happy for you dear. So proud of you. So thrilled for you. You know this, right? :-) Sweety. :-)

    Now, you know I don't like les Miserable. At all. I'm glad you do though - it makes our conversations and lives ever so much more interesting, you know.

    Bye, Eponine o'mine!

    Rilla xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow!!!!! You are so blessed!!! Congratulations! Ever since I've seen Les Mis I would LOVE to play Eponine.
    Will you be sharing videos of your performance on your blog? I hope so!
    Congratulations!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Miss Dashwood,
    Thank you so much! Yes, it is terrifically exciting. :-) I will try to post some pictures from the show, if I can.

    Naomi,
    One day you WILL like Les Mis. I will make sure of that. ;-P

    Natalie,
    Thanks! Ever since I saw it I've wanted to play Eponine too. :-) If I can get a video of the performance, I will definitely try to put it on the blog!

    Thank you all for your sweet comments. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations!!!!!
    I am SUPER happy for you! I have more of a chance of playing in the show than singing but it is SO much fun! XD

    I have been in a version of Oklahoma. I was the principal violist! :D it is a lot of fun! Enjoy! I wish I could come and watch!

    ~Evie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations! You are so lucky!!!
    Eponine is also my favourite role in Les Mis, and a role I'd love to play.
    I am very happy for you, and good luck with the performance (which I am sure will be splendid)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my goodness, SO exciting!!! That's very cool that the college has open auditions-- wow! So have you been in other plays and taken voice lessons and that sort of thing or were they just unbiased and listened to you anyways? ;)

    I know this will make you really busy, but I for one would love it if you kept a sort of journal on your blog about what's going on-- let us all have an inside look on what it's like to be in a rather professional musical, and Les Mis at that! If you don't have time, you could take notes and then write about it in installments later. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cool! So awesome that you get to be in the play! You probably know that to me, Les Miz is second to the Bible. Only, I'm an ardent, opinionated stage-play groupie. 10th anniversary addition, in particular. The movie is ok. . .but it isn't truly Les Miserables. A lot of people would disagree, but I am dedicated. :P kthxbai. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations! What wonderful memories you're creating :-)

    I've never seen Les Mis live, but I did take part in three Gilbert & Sullivan musicals while I was in college. Always in the chorus, never a lead role, but they were amazingly fun! So I know you're having a great time, going nuts from all the rehearsals, and will feel so triumphant when the curtain rises on you for the first real time. Not a high you can get any other way.

    Break a leg!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love it if you'd drop me a line or two! I always enjoy receiving comments from readers and friends. I ask that you please keep your comments clean and God-honoring, and please don't write anything you wouldn't want your grandmother to read. Also, if you are commenting under anonymous, please do leave your name (or some sort of moniker so that you aren't totally nameless). Thank you so much and have a lovely day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...