Monday, October 20, 2014

Emma Week Tag!


    This week is Discovering Emma Week at Along the Brandywine! Heidi has lots of fun things planned for this week, and I know it's going to be a lovely event! Do hop on over and join the fun! :-)

 Here are my answers to Heidi's Emma tag:


1. Have you ever read Emma?

    Only about a third of it, I am slightly embarrassed to say. :-( I started reading it several years ago-- I think I was twelve, maybe?-- shortly after we'd watched the 2009 miniseries. I don't remember why I didn't finish it-- I probably got distracted by some other book, and I've just never gotten around to finishing it since then. I do hope to read it all someday though!

2. If so, is that how you first made her acquaintance? (If not, feel free to elaborate!) 
   I can't remember a time when I didn't know Jane Austen had written a novel called Emma-- my mother had read it in college, and somehow I had learned it was about a matchmaker, but my first real encounter was about four years ago. I had seen Romola Garai in several movies and really liked her as an actress, so when my sister and I found out she was in Emma, we got it from the library and watched it. I loved it at once, and to this day it is one of my favorite period dramas. The Romola Garai version is the only one I've seen, but I also have a slight interest in the older Kate Beckinsale version. I have seen the trailer for the Gwenyth Paltrow version, and frankly, it looks nauseating. But that's just my first impression, and I know lots of people like it.
3. Do you have a favorite film adaptation? 
     Yes! The 2009 BBC miniseries! Of course, that's the only one I've seen, but if I had seen others I'm confident the answer would still be the same. :-)
4. Favorite dress(es) from that film?
     Oh, boy. Now you've really got me in a tight corner. I LOVE THEM ALL SO MUCH!!! Seriously, this is one of my favorite period drama wardrobes ever. But I will try to pick some of my favorites.
Emma's yellow flowered dress
Emma's green Christmas dress (sorry, there are hardly any full pictures of this dress, but I'm assuming most of y'all know what it looks like).
Emma's pink dress with the green waistband
   Emma's flowered dress-- this is actually probably my very favorite. Really, Emma has a whole ton of dresses.
5. Share a line you love from either the book or movie/s—several if you like!
   "Mr. Knightley, if I have not spoken it is because I am afraid I will awaken myself from this dream."
~Emma
"If I loved you less, I might be able to talk about it more."
~Mr. Knightley
   
"Really, Emma, it is better to be without wits than to apply them as you do."
~Mr. Knightley
"I really think it is time for tea, and yet it has not arrived, do you think I should call Father in?"
~Emma (mainly the reason why I like this one is just because of the way Romola Garai says it)
"I have been so busy managing everyone else's hearts, I do not know my own."
~Emma
"Nonsensical girl!"
~Mr. Knightley
6. Is Emma one of your favorite heroines? Why or why not?
     Although I think Emma's absolutely darling and I like her a lot, she's not one of my top favorites. Mainly because I just don't identify with Jane Austen's heroines as much as others. While I love Emma's personality, she's not one of the heroines that I am most fond of or admire most.
7. What is one of Emma’s strengths (good qualities)?
   Emma cares about her friends and wants the best for them, although she doesn't always go about it in the right way because she wants what she wants and often doesn't give much thought to other people's feelings or preferences. Emma is also good at making people feel welcome and at home, and she's lots of fun to be around.
8. Describe in one (or two…or three) sentences, why Mr. Knightley is so wonderful.
  Oh goodness.
  *scratches head* Well, okay.
  Mr. Knightley is just wonderful. (Okay, I already passed the one sentence mark. ;-P) He's the perfect gentleman, a kind and dependable friend; he's considerate, practical, clever, and wise; he doesn't really care what other people think of him, yet he still maintains a spotless reputation. Mr. Knightley is just the man.
  LOOK AT THAT SMILE.
9. Why do you think Mr. Knightley and Emma are so well suited to each other?
    They understand one another. They can advise each other, tease each other and even criticize without worrying about really offending the other, because they know each other so well. She's very social and talkative and gets worked up about things easily, while he's more of a solitary person and is much more cut and dried, but yet they compliment each other so well.
10. Would you rather spend a week in Highbury with the Westons—on Abbey-Mill Farm with the Martins—or in London with the John Knightleys?
   Hmmm.....I'm going to say Highbury with the Westons, although Abbey-Mill Farm sounds delightful as well. But I know the Westons far better than I know the Martins, and I'd probably get to see Mr. Woodhouse and Mr. and Mrs. Knightley at some point during the visit. :-)
   Thank you, Heidi, for hosting this fun event! :-)

5 comments:

  1. My own dear nonsensical girl, have you actually ever read a whole JA novel? Go now. Shut the laptop. Read.
    Just kidding. I'm not your mother. :-)

    Hey, the Gwenyth Paltrow version isn't THAT bad. I think the Kate Beckinsale one is the worst - MR KNIGHTLEY IS AWFUL in that one - No, don't watch the Kate version. If you watch another, watch the Gwenyth one. It's nothing next to Romola, but seriously, I was pleasantly surprised.

    Oooohhhh Emma's WARDROBE IS sooooooooo something-I-can't-find-the-right-word-for. And your quotes are also something-I-can't-find-the-right-word-for. Mr Knightley has THE most adorable quotes. Loooove Mr Knightley.

    Heehee, you took my Mr Knightley picture. Maybe that was a coincidence. Could well be. :-)

    OOOOH I LOVE MR KNIGHTLEYS SMILE. I need to find his lookalikey. Quick.

    I chose the John Knightleys, because their house seems more interesting and because Mr Knightley visits them. And because they have children - and you know I like that. :-)

    Thus endeth my long comment. I hope my long comments don't overwhelm you. I know they don't, dear. I have more brain than that. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love, LOVE your answers, Emma Jane!!:) ...how you brought out all those points about Mr. Knightley...and about Mr. Knightley and Emma's relationship. And mentioning Emma's gracious hospitality...

    The '09 is just so amazing.

    And the dresses! (I was laughing about the tight corner bit. :)) I think that sprigged brown floral one has to be my absolute favorite, too--but tying with her yellow 'proposal scene' dress. And I was so hoping someone would highlight her green Christmas dress! I kind of forgot about it and then was going, "Oh, no!!! How could I??" So, I'm very glad you did!!! :)

    P.S. Oh! And just so you know (and I can say this without hesitation as I think the film as a whole is entirely beautiful) but the Gwyneth Paltrow trailer is just dreadful... And it's really too bad. They actually even mix up something to create the effect that she's in love with 'John,' which I don't think was intentional (there's certainly nothing like it in the movie). And (I know they were trying to spice it up), but I think it really was probably just haste or something on the part of whoever put it together as it doesn't serve any particular purpose even within the trailer. :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Naomi,
    No, sadly I have not read an entire JA novel. *hides in a corner* You knew that, didn't you? Well, it's true. But I will remedy the fact soon, hopefully this winter (right now I've got about four other books going and I couldn't possibly take on another. You understand.)

    Oh, you don't like the A&E Emma? I like Kate Beckinsale, but I know what you mean about Mr. Knightley-- the actor played a nasty character in The Young Victoria (and don't even get me started on the Sherlock movies-- yikes!), so I'm sure he wouldn't be a satisfactory Knightley. Maybe I should give the Gwenyth Paltrow version a chance. ;-P

    I didn't know we'd used the same picture! I just found it on Pinterest. Actually I haven't read your post yet-- I'm going to now!

    Heidi,
    Thank you for telling me! Yes, we saw the trailer for that version on some other movie and we were all like, ugh, this looks awful! I'm glad the movie isn't actually that bad. Yeah, I remember that bit-- "I love John...I hate John!" And I was like, who on earth is John??? So that's good to know it's just weirdness in the trailer. Don't you hate it when they put extra things that aren't in a movie into the trailer?

    Thanks YOU for hosting this event! I enjoyed filling out the tag. :-)

    ~Emma

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was going to say the same thing as Naomi about the Mr. Knightley in Kate's version. He creeped me out for some reason, and then I remembered him from RDJ's Sherlock...*shudder*

    And this is sorta off-topic, but I love RG so much in Emma that I'm gonna have to rewatch Amazing Grace. (See, cause your sidebar has that picture....) I've only seen it once, when it came out 5 years ago, which was before I knew how amazing those actors were. Plus I recently discovered the wonderful Ioan Gruffudd....whow. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I saw this version on TV the other weekend and ohmygoodness it's so visually beautiful!! I will have to review it soon.. :-) Oh please don't publish the next comment just email me with your answer

    ReplyDelete

I'd love it if you'd drop me a line or two! I always enjoy receiving comments from readers and friends. I ask that you please keep your comments clean and God-honoring, and please don't write anything you wouldn't want your grandmother to read. Also, if you are commenting under anonymous, please do leave your name (or some sort of moniker so that you aren't totally nameless). Thank you so much and have a lovely day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...