Friday, June 27, 2014

It's Kind of an Annual Thing....

 
   Today is June 27th. And you know what that means.....
 

Elise McKenna: "Is it you? Is it?"
Richard Collier: "Yes. It is."
 
 
      Today marks the 102nd anniversary of the day Elise McKenna and Richard Collier meet on the beach in front of the Grand Hotel in Somewhere in Time, one of my all-time favorite films.





   This is such a gorgeous, romantic film. I love it to pieces. Beautiful soundtrack, scrumptious costumes, dreamy setting and scenery, Jane Seymour, 1980s charm.....really, what's not to love? : ) Somewhere in Time is just plain classic. It's one of the most beautiful movies I've ever seen. (Read my post about the movie/review here.)

 
"I thought I'd lost you!"
"Oh, never! Never, never, never!"
 
~*~*~*~*~*~
 
   Some of my favorite scenes......

The portrait scene, when Richard first sees the portrait of Elise in the Hall of History. This is such a dramatic scene, and I love how the Rachmaninoff Rhapsody fits it so perfectly.




  "The Man of My Dreams" scene, where Elise starts to share her feelings for Richard in the middle of the play, unscripted.




   And the Reunion scene, my favorite part of the movie, when Elise comes back to the hotel after Richard believes he's lost her for good. He sees her down on the lawn, and they run to each other on the steps of the hotel, embracing passionately.....oh, it's so romantic I just about can't take it. *dreamy sigh* : )



 
 
  Elise's face when they first see each other.....

 
 
     Richard's face.....
 

 
 
Walking outside the hotel...
 
 


Yes, this is a publicity photo. Hush.

I happen to like publicity photos.
Couldn't you tell? ;-P
   I once saw this movie described as "unabashedly romantic"-- and that's exactly what it is. It's just plain romantic. It's sentimental. It's sappy. You have to be a true romantic at heart to really appreciate it. It's very impractical and glaringly unrealistic at times, but everything about it is so beautiful that you don't really mind the weird time-travel business. It's a movie about true love.

 
 
   ~Emma

6 comments:

  1. I must SO see this movie. Goodness, I JUST adore every scene you put up and I know I will love it.
    Romantic, sentimental and sappy? I want that.
    I have heard that the ending is sad (well, I've read your review twice) but still I HAVE TO SEE THIS SO BAD.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to look this up! Not a big romance person, but always looking for old movies! Time travel sounds cool!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That portrait of Elise still hangs in the Grand Hotel on Mackinac Island, where this was filmed. Or at least, it was still there the last time my family visited, which admittedly was almost 15 years ago. This is my mom's favorite movie, and one year for her birthday, I got her the soundtrack and the sheet music :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hamlette,

    YOU'VE BEEN TO THE GRAND HOTEL!!! That's really cool. I have the feeling that you've been to a lot of places. ;-P Mackinac Island is on my list of places to see one day-- along with John Steinbeck's home and the Lonesome Dove gallery in Texas. :-)
    I really love this soundtrack too-- it's one of my favorites. My sister and I bought the soundtrack two years ago and I have the sheet music for the main theme.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, yes, I have been a lot of places. When I was a kid, my dad's parents wanted to travel, but neither Grandpa nor Grandma were comfortable with driving long distances anymore, so my parents, my little brother, and I would pile into their 1979 Mercury Grand Marquis with my grandparents, and my dad would do the driving. In exchange, my grandparents paid for our hotels and the gas. We went on quite a few trips that way, starting when I was about 7 and continuing until I was probably 14.

    But that's not how I got to Mackinac Island. We lived in Michigan for nine years, and my Dad in particular likes to go places and see things. I don't know how he heard about Mackinac Island, but it was less than a day's drive away, so we went up there in the mid-80s and discovered that that's where Somewhere in Time had been filmed. (Could be the other way around, that my mom knew that;s where it was filmed and that's why we went there, I don't know for sure.) It became a favorite place for my family, and we went there probably 5 or 6 times. We never stayed at the Grand Hotel, though -- much too expensive! But it has a little restaurant/tea room that is open to the public, not just hotel guests, so a couple of times we got a little dessert and coffee there. And it has a long gallery area, with a room devoted to the history of the hotel, including some photos from the filming of the movie, and that portrait.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Emma Jane!
    You have been nominated by me for the Liebster Blogger Award! :)
    http://ramblingsfromaustralia.blogspot.com.au/2014/07/another-liebster-award.html
    ~Evie :)

    ReplyDelete

I'd love it if you'd drop me a line or two! I always enjoy receiving comments from readers and friends. I ask that you please keep your comments clean and God-honoring, and please don't write anything you wouldn't want your grandmother to read. Also, if you are commenting under anonymous, please do leave your name (or some sort of moniker so that you aren't totally nameless). Thank you so much and have a lovely day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...