Monday, March 17, 2014

Happy St. Patrick's Day!


             May the road rise up to meet you,
           May the wind be always at your back
           May the sun shine warm upon your face,
          May the rains fall soft upon your fields,
          And until we meet again, may God hold you in the palm of His hand.

~Traditional Irish Blessing

                     
May brooks and trees and singing hills
Join in the chorus too,
And every gentle wind that blows
Send happiness to you.

~Traditional Irish Blessing


      Happy St. Patrick's Day, my dear friends! :-) I hope you all have a delightful day doing whatever it is people do on St. Patrick's Day! I like to use this day as an excuse to indulge in my love of all things Irish and I am currently celebrating by listening to Dolores Keane's version of my favorite song, Down by the Salley Gardens.


          Down by the salley gardens my love and I did meet
She crossed the salley gardens with little snow-white feet
She bid me take love easy, as the leaves grow on the trees
But I, being young and foolish, and with her could not agree.

In a field down by the river my love and I did stand
And on my leaning shoulder she laid her snow-white hand
She bid me take life easy, as the grass grows on the weirs
But I was young and foolish, and now am full of tears. 


    I absolutely loooovvvvee Irish and Celtic music, and a lot of my favorite songs are traditional Irish ballads, like this one....


    And this one....



   And this one....


   
    (You may recognize this song from Cranford-- it's the one Jack Marshland sings at the ladies' Christmas party.)

  For the great Gaels of Ireland
Are the men that God made mad,
For all their wars are merry,
And all their songs are sad.

~G.K. Chesterson

       This quote made me giggle, because it's so true! Ireland does have a very tragic history, and a lot of their songs are very sad. This is the most tragical song I have ever heard:



   It's soooooo saaaadddd!!!!! :-(

     And now let's have something a bit brighter. :-)



 Oh dear, that's not much brighter, is it? Hmm. How about this one:



    There, that's better, isn't it? :-)

    I'm not sure if this song is actually Irish, but I love this version sung by Lisa Kelley of Celtic Woman:


     And do I have to say yet again that I adore their dresses? No? Yes, I assumed you already knew. :-P



     I am only part Irish, and the greater part of my heritage is Swedish, but I feel like I'm Irish at heart. At least for today, anyway. Hehee. :-)

  Deep peace of the running waters to you.
Deep peace of the flowing air to you.
Deep peace of the smiling stars to you.
Deep peace of the quiet earth to you.
Deep peace of the watching shepherds to you.
Deep peace of the Son of Peace to you.

~Traditional Gaelic Prayer



   I am going to celebrate the day by drinking tea, wearing green, listening to Celtic Woman, and watching Downton Abbey later this evening. :-)



       (Soary, I couldn't resist. :-P Actually, I'm not sure I endorse this: as dashing as Branson is, he can be quite a handful!)


     Have a lovely St. Patrick's Day, my friends! :-)



5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy St Patricks day! To be honest, I only knew it was St Patricks day when I read this- to be really honest I don't even know who St Patrick is and what he did. Anyway, he's Irish, I know that :)
    Are you really part Irish? I didn't know that! And part Swedish!! I didn't know that either. Well I should have been able to tell, since both your sisters are so blonde. Is your mother Swedish or your father? And which side of your family is Irish?
    What a good excuse to watch Downton Abbey! Enjoy it!!!! I'm going to watch Emma episode 3 tonight, I think. Can't waaaaait!!
    Haha I love that KEEP CALM picture! You're right, Branson can be quite a handful. But he's worth it ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Naomi,
    Don't you celebrate/observe St. Patrick's Day in Belgium? To be honest, I don't really know much about St. Patrick either! I do know he was a saint in Ireland long ago, and that's about it. :-P

    Yes, I'm part Irish on my mom's side because my grandpa is half Irish. My grandpa on my dad's side was Swedish.

    Ohhhh, enjoy Emma! I shall enjoy Downton Abbey!!! :-)

    YESSS BRANSON IS WORTH IT!!!

    Hehee. :-P He is quite a handful and he often gets into trouble (in season 4 he makes a big mistake which almost lands him in a whole HEAP of trouble-- but there, I have already said too much!), but I still love him. I can't help but love him. And besides, now that Matthew's gone, he's the only one left to fangirl over. :-) (That sounds really bad, doesn't it? :-P)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes Emma that really sounds bad. (Badly done Emma!)
    No, just kidding my dear- I have exactly the same opinion. It's all Matthews fault- WHY DID HE DIE!!!!!??? (Matthew, I'll forgive you if you come back. If you don't come back I SHALL NEVER FORGIVE YOU.) Heehee, getting a bit carried away there. ;-)
    What mistake does Branson make? Nothing to do with that low voice lady- Edna (don't like her) I hope!!!!
    Yes I enjoyed Emma!!! SOOOO much!!
    Last episode tomorrow!!!
    By the way does the Daisy-Ivy-Jimmy-Alfred thingy go all right? I know I'm not supposed to know but I am SOOOOO curious (if you hadn't guessed;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Emma Jane,
    I ADORE Celtic and Irish music, and I'm so happy to find another fan! Celtic Woman is awesome, but my favorite bands are The High Kings and Celtic Thunder. Have you ever tried either one? Not all Celtic Thunder's songs are good, but some are really wonderful--and they post the lyrics on their website so you can always check and see if a particular song is OK or not.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love it if you'd drop me a line or two! I always enjoy receiving comments from readers and friends. I ask that you please keep your comments clean and God-honoring, and please don't write anything you wouldn't want your grandmother to read. Also, if you are commenting under anonymous, please do leave your name (or some sort of moniker so that you aren't totally nameless). Thank you so much and have a lovely day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...