Friday, July 19, 2013

Period Drama Quotes Quiz



 I've decided to try a game this week! Below are 12 quotes from 12 different period dramas. Leave your guesses in a comment and I will respond with your score. 5 points will be rewarded for each correctly guessed period drama and 5 points for guessing the character who says the line, and if there are two characters in question, 10 points will be rewarded for naming them both. A total of 145 points can be earned. I will post the answers next Friday. Have fun! : )

#1 Character 1: Looking back, the city and I never much liked each other. After all, an unmarried woman was expected to behave in very particular ways, which did not include traipsing around from publisher to publisher with a gaggle of friends.

#2 Character 1: Mama,              wants a knife.
       Character 2: Whatever for?
       Character 1: To kill herself.

#3 Character 1: Quack! goes the duck, meow! goes the cat, bow, wow, wow! goes the dog!

#4  Character 1: I named him            , like in the Bible. Page one, if you've a mind to take it up.

#5 Character 1: Tell us,                        , in your four years as U.S. Marshall, how many men have you shot?
       Character 2: Shot or killed?
       Character 1: Let us restrict it to killed so that we may have a more manageable figure!

#6 Character 1: Everyone always told me my dreams were lies, because I said out loud what I should have kept secret. But all I ever wanted was to make it true: to wish and to wish and to wish, and to make it true.

#7 Character 1: Do you care what happens to you?
       Character 2: Well, yes, I must admit I do.
       Character 1: I don't. The elements may have me when they please!

#8 Character 1:              , if only                  had gone home to                    , we could have taken                to see him, for we live but half a mile away.
       Character 2: Five and a half.
       Character 1: No, I cannot believe it is that far, for you can see the place from the top of our hill. Is it really five and a half? No, I cannot believe it.
       Character 2: Try.

#9 Character 1: And are you afraid of me?
       Character 2: No, sir.
       Character 1: Well, you ought to be. 'Cause I'm a terror when I'm roused.

#10 Character 1: England, sir?
          Character 2: Yes, England, boy! A big, damp, foggy island nor-noreast of Ushant. Think you can find it?
           Character 1: Yes, sir.

#11 Character 1: Am I a machine without feelings? Do you think that because I am poor, plain, obscure and little that I am soulless and heartless? I have as much soul as you and full as much heart. And if God had possessed me with beauty and wealth, I could make it as hard for you to leave me as I to leave you!

#12 Character 1: It seems that these past few years I have been harbouring an illusion. More than one, in fact...And you humoured them. You led me on.
         Character 2: Yes, I let you go on.
         Character 1: Was that kind?
         Character 2: Who am I, for God's sake, that I should be kind?




5 comments:

  1. Ha! I think I'll do pretty well at this game! Let's see:
    #1- Beatrix Potter in Miss Potter? This is the only one I'm a little unsure about.
    #2- Toots and Mrs. Brawne in Bright Star. Hehe, I like that line.
    #3- Mr. Boffin( I hope I spelled that right) in Our Mutual Friend.
    #4- Mrs. Trask #1 in East of Eden.
    #5- Some judge (I don't think I ever knew his name) and Rooster Cogburn in True Grit.
    #6- Angel in Angel. Ha.
    #7- That man of a naturally meloncholy temperment and Mr. Pinch in Martin Chuzzlewit. I'm afraid I don't remember the first character's name.
    #8- Mrs. and Mr. Palmer in Sense and Sensibility.
    #9- Amy Dorrit and Flintwinch in Little Dorrit.
    #10- Horatio Hornblower and Captain Sir Edward Pellew in Hornblower: The Duchess and the Devil. *Sigh*.
    #11- Jane Eyre in Jane Eyre.
    #12- Pip and Miss Havisham in Great Expectations!

    Well, that was fun! Thank you for posting it!
    Sadie

    ReplyDelete
  2. #1 Miss Potter. #2 eek! I really don't know! #3 Sorry! :( I feel horrible I haven't really watched any period drama movies recently. #4 ? #5 Uh....I kind of think I know this one but I'm not sure? #6 I like that line, but I'm not sure where it's from, I fear I will lose this game :P #7 ??? #8 Uh....Emma????? Sorry :) #9 Ha ha I have to say that is a funny line!? #10? #11 ? #12 ? UGH! I feel like a looser :( ;) Oh well I can try again next time, I love the game though, awesome idea!

    -Belle

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, what fun!

    1- Beatrix Potter, Miss Potter
    2- ?
    3- Noddy Boffin, Our Mutual Friend
    4- ?
    5- ?
    6- Oh dear, I don't know. Perhaps Ever After?
    7- Martin Chuzzlewit, but I don't know who said it. :D
    8- "Mr. Palmer, if only Willoughby had gone home to Combe Magna, we could have taken Miss Marianne to see him..." (Mr. and Mrs. Palmer, S&S95)
    9- Amy Dorrit and Jeremiah Flintwinch, Little Dorrit
    10- ?
    11- Jane from Jane Eyre, but there are so many versions, I don't know which one!
    12- Argh, this is SO familiar, and I can't think who said it... perhaps it'll come to me. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I'm terrible at these!

    #5 Rooster Cogburn, True Grit

    #11 Jane Eyre, Jane Eyre

    See? Terrible. But they're still fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sadie, all of your guesses were correct. Yes, I expected you would do well on this game! : ) Your score is 140 points (you don't get the highscore since you didn't name the other character in #7- sorry, but rules is rules, you know.) : P

    Isabella, your guess on #1 was correct! Your guess on #8 was incorrect though, so your score is 10 points. Yeah, I suppose I did make it a little tricky! Thanks for playing though! : )

    Miss Dashwood, your guesses on 1, 3, 8, 9, and 11 were correct, and you guessed the correct period drama for 7. Your score is 60 points!

    Hamlette, both your guesses were correct. Your score is 20 points!

    Thanks for playing everyone! Feel free to guess again if you'd like.

    ~Emma

    ReplyDelete

I'd love it if you'd drop me a line or two! I always enjoy receiving comments from readers and friends. I ask that you please keep your comments clean and God-honoring, and please don't write anything you wouldn't want your grandmother to read. Also, if you are commenting under anonymous, please do leave your name (or some sort of moniker so that you aren't totally nameless). Thank you so much and have a lovely day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...